Hello Producers.. check this.. is this a good PC Configuration for Music Production

S

spilzs

Intel i3 or i5 Processor

320GB hard disk X 2

2GB Ram

DVD Super Drive

Cabinet with 500Watts Power

WINDOWS XP sp2 or sp3

**No Audio cards for now.. maybe M-Audio Delta later..

the main applications i'm using are Cubase, FL Studio and Reason 4.0, is this enough for home music production?

Last edited by a moderator:
that sounds pretty good so far. you are def. gonna need some time of interface/sound card.

why you need an interface / sound card...? i mean if u only use software and don't wanna record something.....is it neccesary?

why you need an interface / sound card...? i mean if u only use software and don't wanna record something.....is it neccesary?

If ur computer or laptop has W.M player or plays music in any fashion, it has a sound card. You, literally cannot have sound (except a beep) w/o one. In addition, if you want to record, for example, sounds from YouTube or externally or use a mic for any reason, you'll need a soundcard. And the better the soundcard, the better the sound quality when making ur music.

As for the original post...sounds good to me. I'd suggest a midi controller (keyboard or drumpad) to help optimize your creative workflow. Happy producing.

Last edited:
windows xp will only recognize 3gb in 32-bit mode...so if you want 4gb+ get windows xp 64-bit or windows 7 64-bit

btw it would benefit you to get the LATEST version of windows xp (sp3.x.xx) because of the security components to windows. the more you update your pc, the less chance of explotation due to out dated os.

Last edited by a moderator:
unless you're using huge sample libraries, 2 gb of ram will do. get the best processor you can, mobo/processor are the most difficult to upgrade. get a quad core if you can, they're awesome.

Last edited:
unless you're using huge sample libraries, 2 gb of ram will do. get the best processor you can, mobo/processor are the most difficult to upgrade. get a quad core if you can, they're awesome.

unless you can't use a screwdriver, they're not hard to upgrade at all.

thanks to all and STEVECOLLINS thanks dude but i just asked system configuration and not studio config :) i got M-audio Fast track Pro.. ;)

Do you have any tips on how to get the most out of a quad core?

Do you have any tips on how to get the most out of a quad core?

if you can't get "the most" out of a quad core, you should prolly drop the PC and go the hardware only route.

... seriously... I can't think of a way to NOT get anything out of a quad core.

if you can't get "the most" out of a quad core, you should prolly drop the PC and go the hardware only route.

... seriously... I can't think of a way to NOT get anything out of a quad core.

Well, I didn't say not anyhing, I said how to get the most out of it...I'm not into computers like that, but I've got a quadcore and heared from someone that It's quite a science to get the most out of it...

Idunno

Well, I didn't say not anyhing, I said how to get the most out of it...I'm not into computers like that, but I've got a quadcore and heared from someone that It's quite a science to get the most out of it...

Idunno

there's no science to it... seriously, there isn't.

The single best multithreaded DAW is Sonar.

FL Studio's plugin engine is also multithreaded (when you turn on that option). It, too, works quite well.

Considering the stuff people are still doing with single core, old @ss P4's (like myself), having 4 processor cores at least twice as powerful as what I'm running means you almost don't even need to think about what you're doing anymore. Just create, the pc will take care of the rest.

there's no science to it... seriously, there isn't.

The single best multithreaded DAW is Sonar.

FL Studio's plugin engine is also multithreaded (when you turn on that option). It, too, works quite well.

Considering the stuff people are still doing with single core, old @ss P4's (like myself), having 4 processor cores at least twice as powerful as what I'm running means you almost don't even need to think about what you're doing anymore. Just create, the pc will take care of the rest.

aight thanks for the elaboration, I have no technical computer knowledge whatsoever.

But I was't specifically talking about DAW's, just computer performances in general.

After about 20-30 tracks in Reason I do get the "your computer is too slow" message, but that's a RAM issue right?

aight thanks for the elaboration, I have no technical computer knowledge whatsoever.

But I was't specifically talking about DAW's, just computer performances in general.

After about 20-30 tracks in Reason I do get the "your computer is too slow" message, but that's a RAM issue right?

no, it's a CPU issue.

IIRC, Reason isn't a multi-threaded application, meaning it doesn't take advantage of multiple processors or processing cores.

no, it's a CPU issue.

IIRC, Reason isn't a multi-threaded application, meaning it doesn't take advantage of multiple processors or processing cores.
wait so I have cubase, are you saying that there is no difference in getting an i7 quad to i5 dual in regards to having more tracks and running more plugins in cubase?

no it isn't. The power is in the processor.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

he's good with 2GB.

Actually they both are. RAM has to read and write the data to be accessed by the CPU.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Intel i3 or i5 Processor

320GB hard disk X 2

2GB Ram

DVD Super Drive

Cabinet with 500Watts Power

WINDOWS XP sp2 or sp3

**No Audio cards for now.. maybe M-Audio Delta later..

the main applications i'm using are Cubase, FL Studio and Reason 4.0, is this enough for home music production?
If you want to run both programs at the same time. You need to have a quad core processor or wait a minute, I have no experience with the new i processors. you should probably get a different OS. maybe windows 7. you should add more RAM. May I Ask what type or RAM do you have. is it DDR 2 OR ddr 3?

Actually they both are. RAM has to read and write the data to be accessed by the CPU.

What you wrote means nothing with regards to the question at hand.

The question regarding why was the individual seeing "your computer is too slow" in Reason has ZERO to do with RAM, and everything to do with the processor. Softsynths, like those included with Reason, are CPU intensive, not RAM intensive. Softsamplers are more RAM intense, but in this day and age, with bus speeds as high as they are and CPU's with memory controllers on-die, moving sample data in and out of RAM is a trivial task.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

If you want to run both programs at the same time. You need to have a quad core processor or wait a minute, I have no experience with the new i processors. you should probably get a different OS. maybe windows 7. you should add more RAM. May I Ask what type or RAM do you have. is it DDR 2 OR ddr 3?

Just stop... You appear to have little experience with anything computing related and I can already see that you're about to give this poster a ton of bad information.

Last edited:
Back