Headroom

No, I mean that if you track something too hot, that's it. If you didn't notice the lack of focus and clarity from overdriving the input chain when you record it, you'll probably notice it when it's too late.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
No, I mean that if you track something too hot, that's it. If you didn't notice the lack of focus and clarity from overdriving the input chain when you record it, you'll probably notice it when it's too late.

So are you talking more about recording I/O's like mics, mixers, preamps, eq's,effects, and so fourth into software or does that apply to vst's and vsti's in software as well? I mostly do everything 100% with software itself since I barely have any hardware to work with as well yet.

I would think most VST's would act the same - Around 0dBVU (-18dBFS/RMS) is where they're designed to be operated.

Granted, you could render hotter, but then you'd have to turn it down somewhat dramatically to mix. If you render somewhere closer to the final mix level, you're usually in much better shape.

Back