Hardware effect tails

Kossae

I've been producing for a number of years now, but have just recently included hardware synths into my setup (V-Synth XT & Fantom XR). In the context of recording the sounds into the DAW, what is usually done about effect 'tails' of each synth? Given I like most of the effects applied, or able to applied, to the sounds coming from the hardware I wasn't sure what people's normal route of recording these sounds with effects was. My initial move was to let the line record until the tail was done and no more sound was being produced, but this in effect leaves me with two sequencer tracks for every one audio track (using FLStudio as a DAW, placing the audio tracks one above the other to prevent cutting and overlapping). While this works, it just seems 'messy'. The second option is of course to record the synths dry and apply effects via software. Given the power of Waves and other plug-ins, it may make no difference in the quality vs the hardware effects. I just wanted some thoughts on how others do it in their respective setups. Thanks.

Back