Hackintosh

UnkNowNGenius

Anyone here who has built a hackintosh?

Lately I've been wondering alot of building a hackintosh but I really don't know how, been using google ofc but can't really find anything legit.. its alot of ''might not always work'' so wanted to ask here on FP if anyone got experience in buildin a hackintosh? Appreciate every post =)

JUST got done building one (still have to buy a firewire PCI-e card as well as an audio interface since PT is having issues with the onboard audio) and for a first time hack builder, it was pretty simple. I just followed the iboot + multibeast guide and installed snow leopard and upgraded to 10.6.8. I didn't upgrade to Lion due to pro tools.

I also researched my hardware based on successful audio builds found on tonymacx86's audio forum.

The only thing I had an issue with (because my budget was too tight to buy a compatible graphics card off the bat) was my video card. I have a Radeon HD3870 and snow leopard (and lion) doesn't like it. I read that 1 or 2 people managed to get it running by setting the resolution to 1280x1024x32 so I did that, added the boot flags PCIRootUID=1 and GraphicsEnabler=No and I'm booting without safe mode! I can't watch youtube videos and who knows what else, but it's getting the job done till I can buy a supported card.

Went from a 2.2ghz core 2 duo to a quad-core i7-2700k..... it's revitalized my reason for living.

I ran into kakewalk while researching but didn't mess with it.

Research, research, research. Buy compatible equipment so if you do run into issues, a google search or 2 will find your resolution.

JUST got done building one (still have to buy a firewire PCI-e card as well as an audio interface since PT is having issues with the onboard audio) and for a first time hack builder, it was pretty simple. I just followed the iboot + multibeast guide and installed snow leopard and upgraded to 10.6.8. I didn't upgrade to Lion due to pro tools.

I also researched my hardware based on successful audio builds found on tonymacx86's audio forum.

The only thing I had an issue with (because my budget was too tight to buy a compatible graphics card off the bat) was my video card. I have a Radeon HD3870 and snow leopard (and lion) doesn't like it. I read that 1 or 2 people managed to get it running by setting the resolution to 1280x1024x32 so I did that, added the boot flags PCIRootUID=1 and GraphicsEnabler=No and I'm booting without safe mode! I can't watch youtube videos and who knows what else, but it's getting the job done till I can buy a supported card.

Went from a 2.2ghz core 2 duo to a quad-core i7-2700k..... it's revitalized my reason for living.

I ran into kakewalk while researching but didn't mess with it.

Research, research, research. Buy compatible equipment so if you do run into issues, a google search or 2 will find your resolution.

tonymacx86 is a great source.

I'm also in the same boat and thinking of building a hackintosh. Can someone please tell me if the specs of that $600 kakewalk lite computer build are sufficient to run fruity loops, multiple VSTs, ableton, and maschine? What kind of differences would I be noticing with specs like the $1200 kakewalk Pro build when producing or recording vocals?

If your goal is to use FL Studio it doesn't make sense to build a hackintosh. FLStudio doesn't run on OSX. People are able to use it on Mac by using software like Bootcamp (simply allows you to install Windows on a Mac). So I doubt you would want to install a Mac to only to install another partition of Windows.....

I'm sorry i forgot to add Logic. What if i use Logic with maschine and multiple vst's? What kind of differences would i notice when using that kakewalk pro build versus kakewalk lite build?

Back