GRIME PRODUCERS/MC's

CRSSLNE

Hi all,

I'm in the middle stage of writing a research project investigating the effects of mix bus compression on cohesiveness (the 'groove') and intensity (punch, weight, fatness etc) within grime production. All I'm really looking to find out at this stage is if anybody is using the technique at the moment, and if so, why. If anyone has a spare few minutes I'd really appreciate any input you have on the subject.

To the producers:
How often do you incorporate Mix Bus Compression in your mixes?
What are your main reasons for using Bus Compression?
Do you have a favourite compressor plugin or even compressor circuit type that you use?
What kind of settings do you tend to use on the compressor?

To the MC's:
Do you feel the way a beat 'grooves' is important to MC'ing as an art form?
Does a beat with more/less of a groove make your job easier/harder? i.e does a beat that breathes and pumps a little make it easier to sit your bars on the beat/allow you to flow more comfortably?

Sorry that the post is a little formal, I'm really not expecting big essay style responses, really anything you have to say will be deeply appreciated. My intention after this part of the project is complete is to do some tests to find out how to best utilise the technique, and then put together a guideline/tutorial which will then be posted in the Production Bible section of the forum.

Thanks again in advance

Back