Gospel Rap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the Christian Hip hop movement is growing...time will tell if it will ever be anything large, though I think some will be suprised.

There are some quality artists out there. One that comes to mind is a dude named Gibraan out of SD. He is produced by Tonex, who is down with Timbaland, Outkast, and all of them, yet is also a Christian artist who remains very true to his beliefs. You can check him at syntaxrecords.com

Grits, Cross Movement, 4th ave, and others are pretty sick...check em out.

i think like most of you said, Lauryn Hill did it the best way it could be done. I have a brother n law that does it, but I feel it's too preachy. It's like your pastor rapping. However I am working up something soon, I myself used to rap, just on the mixtapes and for fun. When you label yourself gospel rap the media, and people are not going to buy into it. Therefore just call it rap, and let the music speak for itself. I know when I make a cd people are gonna call me a fake christian, or say im this or that but at the end of the day only god can judge me. Even Tupac was a spiritual m.c. he could touch people with his lyrics, you just have to be smart/most artist today that are conscious feel they have to say profanity in one line or something to get street cred, and thats why the game is messed up, everybody is following each other instead of standing out.

personally i believe in god and jesus and mary and everyone in the bible and i have faith in them.

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

to me gospel rap is like wholemeal bread it just aint the same

well that makes alot of since. these gospel artist aint giving it 100 percent because they preach too much, and the production is weak. I beleive in strait spitting with a positive outlook, because the bible does say u will be judged for your words. so as long as i stay away from sex, durgs, violence and the rest of the negativity in my lyrics then it should be all good.I beleive in god which is jesus. but mary is just jesus's earthly mother, she carried him, you dont have to have faith in her. catholics choose too, but if that's what u choose then? , however the bible only says beleive in the father which is god, and the son is jesus. same spirit jesus just had to be born on earth, to do his business for us which we all know how that went down. mary basically is just like the rest of us, human/ she herself has to worship god & acknowledge that jesus died for her.

Im not trying to say that there is something wrong with honoring mary as a special mother, but to worship her is another.I understand you're catholic which is a religion, so u have certain guidelines and beleifs. Christianity is a belief in god only, and just to acknowledge his son died for us. Yes mary was a special chosen woman, but I think praying to her is a form of worship. I have a question, do catholics read the bible? and if we should worship mary then we should worship her father & mother and his father & mother and so on. Religion does twist things up, i mean you have the methodist, the pentecostals, the mormans, and they all have differences. Basically we should just follow jesus's guidelines in the bible. which i practice. remember that jesus even told a man that his mother & father were basically like his brother n sister and that they should worship the spirit of god in him as well.

I don't like getting into religious arguments..especially on the internet. People spend too much time arguing about minor details, and not enough time trying to live like Jesus. However as a catholic I just want to say we don't worship Mary at all, we just honour her. I think it's just that we honour her more than other Christians. God chose Mary to be the person he dwelled in for 9 months...for us that's pretty important. We pray to mary asking her to pray for us.

edit: and yes, we read the Bible. Too many people think Catholics aren't Christians and that it's a completely different religion!
The Bible says when Jesus was on the cross, he said " 'Woman, here is your son,' and to the disciple, "Here is your mother.' From that time on, this disciple took her into his home." I look at this as him talking to us, the disciples of Christ. And he is asking us to take Mary in and treat her as if she is our own mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
i try to stay away from anything with the label "Gospel" when it comes to secular things...in my experiences, alot of these people are hypocrites...

and since its Sunday and all:

Mary is not the mother of God..for the simple fact that Jesus is not God, Jesus is God's son...Jesus directed all praise and glory to his father...so should we...Jesus is the mediator of a new covenant..We approach God by means of Jesus's sacrifice....Worship of any object, person or thing is IDOL WORSHIP..which the bible condemns as pagan...Deutoronomy (Spelling?) commmands us not to make an Image in the likeness of anything in the heavens or on the earth below...Worship of Mary and the so called Saints goes contrary to bible teachings....and if you want i can post specific passages from the bible IN CONTEXT, to back up my statements.

Which brings me to the popular practice of using a Cross in prayer and worship to God..Not only is it wrong for the biblical reasons I stated above...But its kinda Sick, when you think about it.

Some of you profess to love Jesus,...so he could be called a loved one...Let me ask y'all this: If ur mother, brother, sister, father..or just someone you loved, was tortured, humiliated, beaten , spat upon, then killed..would you go to the scene of the crime, find the murder weapon, tie a string arround it, and wear it in rememberance of them?????..would you??

Or would you have gold and diamond encrusted replica made and wear it as it were cool and classy??...sadly thats what many of you do...people are so misguided...

I'll get my comment in before this thread gets closed. mistaox, I am guessing you are not a Christian. We DO NOT worship Mary or the Saints. There is a difference between worship and pray to. If you want to go all technical, look up the word pray in a dictionary. See the word worship in the definition? Thought not.

And as for wearing a crucifix, the crucifix represents the love God has for us by sacrificing his only son. We are remembering it. It is the same as when you get married...the ring you wear is there as a sign of the marriage. Just like a crucifix reminds us that God gave up his son because he loves us.

mistaox said:

Some of you profess to love Jesus,...so he could be called a loved one...Let me ask y'all this: If ur mother, brother, sister, father..or just someone you loved, was tortured, humiliated, beaten , spat upon, then killed..would you go to the scene of the crime, find the murder weapon, tie a string arround it, and wear it in rememberance of them?????..would you??

[color=sky blue]Interesting, never looked at it from that perspective before...[/color]

Last edited:
mazammit said:
I'll get my comment in before this thread gets closed. mistaox, I am guessing you are not a Christian. We DO NOT worship Mary or the Saints. There is a difference between worship and pray to. If you want to go all technical, look up the word pray in a dictionary. See the word worship in the definition? Thought not.

And as for wearing a crucifix, the crucifix represents the love God has for us by sacrificing his only son. We are remembering it. It is the same as when you get married...the ring you wear is there as a sign of the marriage. Just like a crucifix reminds us that God gave up his son because he loves us.

Prayer is an itergral part of worship in may religions..and I am Chrsitian...Prayer to Christ or Saints goes contrary to what the good book says..we must pray through Christ as our MEDIATOR betweeen us and the father...No where in the bible does it say you should pray to the so called saints, Or Mary..."no one approches the Father except through me"..so sayeth the lord... no room for Mary or the deciples in that statment.

And i cant Imagine Christ walking around with a knife or dagger on his neck in rememberance of someone who was slain..and if you really want to get technical..the greek word that most bible translate as "Cross" literally means "tree" or "up right stake"..Not a Cross..Romans did not put their victims to death on a Cross..research it..the cross was introduced to make christianity more attractive to Pagans...So not only is the practice of wearing the cross disgusting and disrespectful to the one whi is said to be hung upon it, but its of pagan origin..another thing the bible condemns..boy..we're on a roll arent we?...keep em comin'.

mistaox said:
i try to stay away from anything with the label "Gospel" when it comes to secular things...in my experiences, alot of these people are hypocrites...

and since its Sunday and all:
Jesus is not God, Jesus is God's son...people are so misguided...

mistaox. YOU HAVE NOOOOO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AT ALL! no more religon talk from you man. God only can forgive sin. jesus forgave sin. he said i and the father are one he who has seen me has seen the father. in the begining ther was the WORD and the WORD was God and the WORD became flesh and dwelled with man. you dont even read the bible man for jesus sakes and you have the NERVE to speak on christianity and the persons involved. that's like me talking out my anus about muhammad and i aint never read a koran. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop. you dont understand as much as a 1/4 of what you THINK you understand. done it.

i aint gonna edit. imma apologize to mista ox. i lashed out cause today is a day that i've been in biblical debate with learned "theologians" and when they cant answer they come with bull and get me frustrated. i need to firstly say that your post was MOSTLY VERY on point and great and well articulated and helpful. now on the point of worshiping mary or praying to her.. it's wrong. you should only pray to God. in the name he gave us. Jesus. jesus IS God the SON. the mystery of the holy trinity is something that never ceases to be inacurately be explained. i understand it as 3 manifestations of God. there is God the father. God the son, and God the holy spirit. i'm still searching to find an analogy to properly encapsule that concept. i liken it to us. we all have different realms that we operate in while being ! whole being. we operate in the physical world. we operat in the spirit world, and we operate in the mental world or what we call "our hearts" that's like the soulish part of us. the seat of our desires and personalities and mental makeup. it's 3 but 1. like God. i can be wrong but that's as best i can do right now.

again. i apologoze OX. i was out of line.

"I and the father are one" = we are In union..not " we are the same person"

the bible states : "the dead are concious of nothing"..so when Jesus died, and he was concious of nothing, who raised him? since god was dead..who raised god...??/...the answer is very simple, God Raised Jesus from the dead, because they are 2 seperate beings..FATHER and SON..No Pagan Trinity..

When Jesus was Baptized and the Spirit came down in the form of a Dove and a Voice from heaven Said "This is MY SON"...who's voice was it? Was Jesus talking to himself?? Since he is God??...that would make him out to be the Crazy carpenter that the Pharasees said he was...

"This is my SON" ..SOn = Offspring...
He is called the "Only Begotten son" for a reason..because he was the only one God created with his own 2 hands as it were..Jesus then became his master worker...creating all other things.

Father = All Mighty GOD
Son = Mighty God
Holy Spirit/Ghost = God's Active force, which he uses to accomplish his purposes

I love it when y'all make god out to be a Mystery..

i hardly ever talk religion b/c im not religious not so much that i dont want to be, but because i dont find answers in the bible or from god's people. like the bible is wrong in my opinion so religion is wrong in reading the bible there is a glaring contradiction in genesis that i never get a str8 answer to. on top of that the bible in of it self is imperfect if u think about it. first the major contradiction i noticed from reading genesis is that kane killed abel how does the world develop if adam and eve only had kane and abel. on top of that man wrote the bible it cantbe perfect in its form considerin man wrote it then it was translated and there isn't a perfect translation to english from the ancient hebrew language. On top of that another one of my questions to clergy is why would the lord come at that time, the time actually makes no sense in terms of where the world would go. And finally the bible has some of the biggest holes of any history book in terms of known facts that we have physical proof of where the bible is a book of things. oh and why is christianity/catholicism and any other factions here if the jews are gods people shouldnt we convert to that if it clearly states they are gods people?

Cane married his sister...Gross by today's standards..But humans were closer to perfection then..no Genetic defects...

And the word of God is perfect, but many translations arent. thats why you have to read and dig for yourself.

The Jews were Gods People..but they rejected both him and his messiah...so he opened up a covenenant with people of all nations..God is not partial.

Im tired of this....Close thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back