Good Vintage Drum Machines

oxygenbeats

Whats up people. What are some good vintage drum machines I can cop samples from now. I've got the 808 and 909 (standards), I've also heard talk about the DMX. Anyone wanna name some more, basically anything with that warm, analogue sound. Thanks!

if u want warm, analog sound, buy goldbaby sample packs, and don't even worry about what machines to get there stuff is the best sampling of vintage machines around

Many of the popular vintage drum machines are actually digital rather analog, DMX, LinnDrum, SP-12, DrumTracks, even the 909 uses samples for the hi-hats and cymbals.

You used to be able to get the LM-1 sampleset with all the tunings from wikipedia for free! idk if its still up but its probably up somewhere.

Hollandturbine mentioned most of them. If you ever find samples of the Wendel, let me know :-)

SP-12 is nice. I have one. Comes with factory preset sounds that are real nice--if circa 1986 is your thing. The sampler is where it is at, it's 8bit....i see a lot of peeps saying it is 12bit and this is not accurate. imo, i think 8bit is about as grimy as you can get....it is the sh!t for phat drums and bass.

SP-12 is nice. I have one. Comes with factory preset sounds that are real nice--if circa 1986 is your thing. The sampler is where it is at, it's 8bit....i see a lot of peeps saying it is 12bit and this is not accurate. imo, i think 8bit is about as grimy as you can get....it is the sh!t for phat drums and bass.

its 12 bit, but grimey as hell

Check out Vintage Synth Explorer . They have a lot of expertise on vintage drum machines as well as vintage synths.

But be warned that a lot of vintage drum machines will only sound good for one type of sound and only if it's tweaked a certain way. A lot of classic drum machines actually sound pretty weak at their default settings. And most drum machines sound weak for a few of their sounds. That's possibly because they always try and market them to whatever is popular at one particular time and it sounds dated as hell and weak later.

Back