Good Studio Monitors for around 100$-$150

save your money, go to your local pawn shop and buy a hifi amp and speakers you will get better quality for the same money.

deranged4phuk'dup also recommends this path

^^^you can use any speakers for making beats
when it comes to mixing you want to save your money and go for Studio Monitor pair that's $700 to $3000 depending on what you're trying to do..
if you really want Studio Monitor you can get any Krk Monitor for cheap ...but I wouldn't go that route

Here is a link to where there may be a great deal still happening. Only 200 dollars instead of 500. On top of that they are also the best to me in their price range. Very much well worth it. I actually bought them because I was well pleased with the older 5 inch version. This here d2 version I have been told is near perfect now.

My bx5a's are good too, but I could see why they added bass and a little treble in addition as well.

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/hardware-software/hardware/studio-monitor-deal$$$-489784/

^^^you can use any speakers for making beats
when it comes to mixing you want to save your money and go for Studio Monitor pair that's $700 to $3000 depending on what you're trying to do..
if you really want Studio Monitor you can get any Krk Monitor for cheap ...but I wouldn't go that route

Not disagreeing at all, but something happened where "monitors" and "speakers" were somehow separated. Dynaudios, Wharfedales, Yamahas(specifically the NS10s), JBLs, and tons of other "speakers" were what you once found in big name studios as well as some audiophile's home to play records. They were called monitors if they served the purpose of monitors and speakers if you sat in front of them with a glass of wine that slowly blew off your coffee table from the pulsing sound of a maxell tape, lol.

So I feel there's a falsification in telling someone they need "monitors". Simply because these days most things that say "monitor" on the box to give a false sense of accuracy are no better than stuff that say's "bookshelf speaker" on the box for half the price because of the consumer it reaches. I'd spend $100 on a pair of "high end" computer speakers before I spent it on "budget monitors". Because that same $100 investment to a gamer means plug and play with no other wires needed, headphone jacks, good enough sound to fill a room, and a solid investment because, hey, how much is a gamer willing to pay for sound?...while $100 to a musician for "monitoring" means nothing more than "bottom of the barrel crap that's so insufficient that you'll later come back to us for better....and then again for better, but you'll stick with our brand because we'll keep convincing you for a bump in price, we give you more".

Ex. Kid gets a pair of KRK RP5s, then he needs 8s, then he needs a woofer, then he dreams of one day getting VXTs and starts saving AGAIN while another guy with a pair of 8" sonys with a matching sub running off a cheap amp he got all at once for $250 is confused to what he's missing while visiting the other guy's work environment. Both go into a room with Augspurgers and know their investments up to this point mean nothing, lol. And both are still going to strive for something in the VTX price range afterwards because Augspurgers are an unreachable goal. Lol.

"Accuracy" is a selling point like saying Axe body spray get's you women. In actuality, it's not the axe spray(you could trade that out for Old Spice), but the confidence it gives you....the only material thing that get's women is exotic cars and mansions(priced fairly for this reason)...but by the time you can afford all that, you're too classy to douse yourself down with cheap Axe spray and you'd look at that with the same distaste as you'd look at old spice. Hope that analogy isn't confusing. :cheers:

Last edited:
You need something with TRS outputs. Or xlr outputs.

I suggest TRS to TRS. The bx8 d2 take either. But trs to trs will probably work best.

Keep deal hunting through the holidays. Something like the fast track by m audio will probably go on discount.

The behringer you supplied will not work because it uses RCA connections.

Monitors are supposed to be flat and even in their frequency response. When choosing a monitor you should listen and look for that.

Monitors have amplifiers in them. That gets to be where the cost goes up as well.

In the current day in age we need amplified monitors for what is currently on the market in audio interface compatibilty.

Monitors are supposed to be made for the purpose of audio creation.

The bx8 d2 monitor is most likely in the top 5 best.

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes TRS a "better" connection?

And BX8s "top 5 best"? On what list?

And why not go with passives and a stereo amp? Passives usually give you way more bang for buck because they don't overcharge you for a cheap amp when you're talking budget stuff(under $600 or so a pair). At a certain price point you're getting amps built to work well with everything else in the cabinet, but with cheaper powered monitors, you're not even getting close to the quality you can get out of something cheap like an Alesis RA150 amp.

Trs to trs is consistant. Consistant is always better. Im certified in audio equipment.

The bx8 d2 made it to top 5 a couple years ago or so for any price range and any speaker.

Yes monitors have amps tailored for them built in. It is a legal requirement. I am certified there as well. Dont push me.

It is also the case that studio monitors have quality amps built-in. That too is a legal requirement that began about 1984. Today it is still needed legally.

Anthony Lowery army

"Legal?" Do you know what an RA series amp is(not close to the best, entry level by far...but singled out for a specified task rather than bundled with a cheap woofer and tweeter to sell a dream)? What makes TRS more "consistent" than say....XLR, and who's to say even RCA inputs can't be argued as just as efficient depending on other factors? This isn't even where I flourish in knowledge and I know these to be ramblings of half-heard hearsay.

What "legal" requirement does a "built in" amp have to the point where you can buy a PAIR built in to filled speaker cabinets for $200-300 and call that "quality"? I'm sure the same "legalities" are imposed when creating more expensive amps like a Marantz or CV-5000? So what adds to the price point?

BX8s are bottom feeders to the world of monitoring like any other junk in the price range. You pay what they're worth online, in a store, or on ebay you save a few bucks. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, but spend more for the idea there's some 'legal" amp built in. "Legal" as in what? It won't blow up in your face, lol.

They may be rated high amongst budget monitors, but they're not worthy of sitting next to a pair of multimedia referencing purpose 4" Genelecs. Most people I've known including myself rate them lower than other budget powered 8" speaker/monitors in the same league like Mackie, Tannoy, Event, ect. step up the price a little and stuff by Focal, JBL, Eve, ect. blow them out the water. step the price down a peg and $150 at a pawnshop will land you some $50 bookshelves and a $100 stereo amp that I guarantee you with compete with and more than likely outperform,

Point I'm making, you're wasting money until you're spending REAL MONEY, so get what you pay for without the sales pitch fee.

- deRaNged civilian FULL TIME MUSICIAN

EDIT: I did just see BX8s on sale for $220 a pair if i read right. While that indicates their worthlessness, I will say for that cheap, they fall in well with bookshelf speakers and computer gaming speakers like they should. Because they're all in the same league.

Last edited:
xlr-trs and xlr-xlr and trs-trs are all equivalent cabling of balanced lines

using rca's is no different to using anything else except that they are by their very nature unbalanced lines. Unless you are in a very active rfi location this is usually not a problem.

an interface can connect just as easily to a hi-fi amplifier as it can to the inputs on a powered monitor, so your argument is without teeth

there has never been a legal requirement to have amplifiers built-in to speakers, in fact it breaks a cardinal rule of replacebility - if an amplifier dies in a powered speaker unit, or the speaker dies in the same unit, then you have to replace both parts of the problem to get something that will work, whereas if you blow the amplifier or a speaker in a discrete system you only need to replace the damaged component not both.

i.e. buy to minimise disruption in the event of damage/loss, not for simplicities sake.

Yes monitors have amps tailored for them built in. It is a legal requirement. I am certified there as well. Dont push me.

It is also the case that studio monitors have quality amps built-in. That too is a legal requirement that began about 1984. Today it is still needed legally.

Anthony Lowery army

Who is setting these "legal" requirements. Studio monitors do not necessarily have amplifiers built, the can but it is not any kind of "legal" requirement. I have a feeling that the actual engineers at Altec, JBL, Tannoy and many other companies would beg to differ with this. You should stop spreading false information. As to your supposed "certifications" given what you've been posting I question their value. If you paid money for any of this I would consider trying to get a refund.

Back