Good Mic around $400?

GlassCups

I'm looking for a mic around the $400 range, i rap/produce but i don't need the mic for anything BUT vocals. i was looking at the Rhode Nt1000 but i would like someone else input on what i should get. i currently have have a blue spark microphone that's doing nothing for me, its way to sensitive and it picks up EVERYTHING, also it does no justice to my vocals.

Last edited:
To make the right choice ideally you need to get to a store with a listening facility (easier said than done I know)
Maybe an SM58 is perfect or maybe an AT4033, who knows, very hard to know as most voices work best with a specific microphone type. I mean everyone raves about SM7 (and I have owned one and it is great matched to the right source) but difficult to know until you have trued one out, maybe book an hour or 2 in a local studio and try and test some different mics on your voice within budget ?

Just keep on recording and just bust some lyrics on a load of mics.

In any event make sure you budget for a good nylon mesh pop filter.

cheers
SafeandSound Mastering
music mastering

Last edited:
I'm looking for a mic around the $400 range, i rap/produce but i don't need the mic for anything BUT vocals. i was looking at the Rhode Nt1000 but i would like someone else input on what i should get. i currently have have a blue spark microphone that's doing nothing for me, its way to sensitive and it picks up EVERYTHING, also it does no justice to my vocals.

First of all it isn't too sensitive. That means you probably have the gain too loud. It is a condenser mic and is designed to be very detailed and to pick up everything. That's the job.

Second, look at a SM7b. It's an amazing mic. Very detailed but subtle at the same time. Never exaggerated. It is the greatest mic ever made for rap. It always sounds great. Condenser mics are rarely the right mic for rap. But they are used every day to record hit rap records. The price of the mic has nothing to do with how it handles rap. But if you really want a mic that will always sound great, especially for hip-hop and rap, get the SM7b. It also is great for off axis rejection which basically means that it sounds like you have a vocal boot when you don't.

at4040 is good. re20 from electro voice is what they use at every radio station, but i can imagine that's probably their cheapest piece of equipment.

Try to buy used if you can (try it out obviously). I bought a Neumann TLM-103 off someone on a site similar to craigslist - he was looking to downgrade. Cost me $450 Canadian and it retails much higher. I have had no issues with it.

The SM7B is a great mic, but you need a good mic pre to hear how good it is. Using it with a less than stellar mic pre makes it sound bland.

got it, I assumed it, because Michael Jackson recorded with this mic. Thanks for the info.

The SM7B is a great mic, but you need a good mic pre to hear how good it is. Using it with a less than stellar mic pre makes it sound bland.

couldn't stress this more ppl need to budget a nice preamp along side their mic unless they're rocking an higher-end audio interface like RME Fireface UFX(fireface/babyface family),Steinberg UR824,Steinberg MR816 CSX,Apogee Ensemble,Avid Mbox Pro

or hanging a decent preamp off of a budget 24-bit audio interface in this price range if you're only recording vocals
Single-Channel Preamps | Sweetwater.com
but hey great song have been made and sold millions of copies on sub-par eqiupment.
I have gearlust so don't mind me..I have already done the low-end equipment now I'm on high end strff and ppl don't pass up on modified mics,preamps,and audio interfaces
modified gear usually triples the quality for less half the price of highend gear
live & learn folks

HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | INTERVIEWS
One free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

couldn't stress this more ppl need to budget a nice preamp along side their mic unless they're rocking an higher-end audio interface like RME Fireface UFX(fireface/babyface family),Steinberg UR824,Steinberg MR816 CSX,Apogee Ensemble,Avid Mbox Pro

or hanging a decent preamp off of a budget 24-bit audio interface in this price range if you're only recording vocals
but hey great song have been made and sold millions of copies on sub-par eqiupment.
I have gearlust so don't mind me..I have already done the low-end equipment now I'm on high end strff and ppl don't pass up on modified mics,preamps,and audio interfaces
modified gear usually triples the quality for less half the price of highend gear
live & learn folks

HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | INTERVIEWS
One free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

So true. 1 good pre, 1 good mic and 1 good interface will take you pretty far.

I like a lot of Rode mics...but of all of them the NT1000 is the one I like least. They are harsh and nasty in my experience. If you want a Rode look at these models first...NTK, NT2A or K2. The K2 and NTK are really nice mics. Alternatively a dynamic like the shure sm7b

Back