Gonna buy some Technics, quick question

E. Cool Productions

Super Producer
Now this may seem like a dumb question, but many mentors have told me there are no dumb questions so here we go...

On the Panasonic site, the technics are said to be $700. Online, I can't find anything less than $1200. Should I assume that this is the price of two turntables? I'm not quite sure how it all works, I'm planning on buying the best and learning as I go.
Technics* Analog Turntable SL-1210M5G Intro

yeah, it'll be a pair (surely it states that). Most DJs buy decks in pairs so 99% of the time thats how theyre advertised.

Techs discontinued a couple of years ago so the prices have gone up insane. I don't know what today's value should be. In '02 I bought mine one at a time.

Seems i was wrong:

TECHNICS SL-1210M5G TURNTABLE (BACKORDER) Delete 1,199.00 1,199.00
All prices are in US Dollars Subtotal 1,199.00
Shipping 0.00
Tax 0.00
TOTAL 1,199.00

You may want to look into getting Stanton st-150's or str8 150's Peace be with you..........Rob Mixx

Thats a nice piece of money to pay for some tables...are they tabletop???

Yeah, turntables aren't usually sold in pairs. Been noticing the price climbing up as well. Glad I bought mine in due time.

In the UK its pretty easy to pick up a 2nd hand pair for not much north of £300-350. Technics are built like tanks, so as long as you check everything is working fine then I really don't see any upside to spending so much on new ones if the option exists to buy 2nd hand. I got one on gumtree for £150 not long ago.

Thanks! I'm actually 95% sure I'm gonna buy some used now. What exactly am I looking for when buying a used piece to make sure it all checks out?

As mentioned 1210s are bloody sturdy and it would take a lot to cause them to stop working, so really as long as the seller is honest in saying there is nothing wrong then you should be fine. Scratches etc may not be wanted but they're only cosmetic. You may want to check things like dust covers, and the additional weights (M3Ds ) are still there. And check if they come with needles

Back