Getting the 12 bit sound. Loading or resampling?ling?

any suggestions on what plugs to try? i dont have any on my pc but I still have Sonar around to try this out and my EPS is sitting next to me stil

just take one of your "digital beats", load it into Sonar. Add a filter adjust it to give it a "vintagy sound", might also need to throw on an EQ or vintage compressor. Export the song at 44.1/16bit.

Take the same "digital beat" you just loaded into Sonar. Find a converter that makes 8bit audio files(freeware ones do this or even ones with trail periods) create the file and compare the quality of the 2 finished sounds with stuff that comes off your EPS.

I have a eps 16+ as well and love the sound but I find my yamaha su700 to be my fav when it comes to getting drums crunchy, set it to 12 bit and damn. Plus the filters and effects on it are top notch. I do most my work in a mv8800 (pretty clean) and ableton live but when I have the time I try to not use fx and go with classic gear.

The 16 plus is not 12 bit or 13 bit nor can you change the bit rate you can change the sample rate but not the bit rate. The original EPS is 13 bit I have the rack connected to my SP1200. Part of the SP sound is the artifacts that you get from pitching a sample down when you sample it at 45 +8 it sounds like ring modulation.

The 16 plus is not 12 bit or 13 bit nor can you change the bit rate you can change the sample rate but not the bit rate. The original EPS is 13 bit I have the rack connected to my SP1200. Part of the SP sound is the artifacts that you get from pitching a sample down when you sample it at 45 +8 it sounds like ring modulation.
Yep the artifacts are what people associate with 12 bit.
12 bit vs. 16bit means little really.(talking hardware samplers).
It's mostly sample rate, and a lack of interpolation.
The sp1200 was what... 27ish khz with no interpolation?
Sure that's going to be gritty.
Take the mpc60, or s950 with interpolation at 40khz, and you have a pretty clean signal even when detuned.
Now I have a 16 bit Zoom sampletrak that is gritty at 16khz, and without interpolation there is plenty ring mod type grit going on when samples are tuned.

Well I found a data sheet , but the application is not for "quality" audio and most likely entirely different device ....
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tlv320aic1106.html

Anyone got any links for this EPS 13 bit architecture ?

Edit !
Hang on , a mention here :
http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Ensoniq_EPS

Edit number two !!!!!
The information seems all over the place , most claim the specs are incorrect and the unit is 12 bit .

One site made a claim it was a 16 bit sampler that down-converted the D to A to thirteen bit :
http://soundabstract.net/overview.htm

The last one makes sense in terms of 13 bit in real world considering the processor and memory architecture (IMHO) .

Last edited:
The DSP being 16 bit and the converters being 13 bit does not sound too far fetched to me.
you mean liek DSP fx? THe orignal EPS does not have fx unless u count the filters as an effect. The manual does state that the original EPS has 13 bit converters but saves everything in 12 bit on floppy.

DSP = Digital Signal Processing.

Without the service manual I have to use ESP to understand the DSP of the EPS.

I do however have the Akai S900 service manual.

if I find the file ill upload it I had the service manual a while ago. I had a hard copy too but i am constantly losing manuals. Im kicking myself for losing my M3R manual right now

Back