Getting different BPM's of a sample

chippy92

Trying to find the bpm of a song using Logic and the BPM Counter but I'm getting different bpm's on different part of the song which is Lyn Collins - Think About It. In the first minute im getting 111.9 and then like 2mins I'm getting 113.5/.7

Im wanting to sample the drum break at 01:34 till 01:36 so would it be 113.5 for that part? Thanks

You cant always trust the BPM counter in DAWs, vocals and other rhythmic elements can throw off the count. What you should do is chop the part you want and put it in your DAW and set the tempo so it loops correctly that's your tempo.

real people do not always play at the exact tempo shifting up or down a few bpm depending on whether the track is moving or slowing, so different parts of the same song will be at different tempi: this is normal

As Bandcoach said, some songs tempo will change slightly over time so to combat that you can chop it all up and then timestretch each chop so they are all at the same length and therefore the same tempo. I would then use DirtyThirdBeats advice and loop a chop in your DAW to find the tempo rather than using a BPM counter.

Back