Getting back into Music production/recording after 20 years, some advice please.

Wam7

Hi folks, I first started m 54usic production on my old Amiga 1200 using Bar and Pipes in the last millennium. I then got to grips with Cubase and Kontakt but haven't done anything for years but would like to get back into things again. Recommendations I need are for:

1. An interface to allow for low latency input of a Midi keyboard into a DAW (which will probably be Ableton Live) Currently have/use an old Audigy2 EX with breakout box with KX audio Drivers.

2. A decent all round microphone. Which will be used mainly to record male vocals (6 part jazz acapella) but maybe also my semi acoustic guitar (though this can be plugged in if better/necessary) and maybe my clarinet.

I would like entry level stuff that represents great value as it won't be used for professional purposes.

Regards

when I was first looking or a decent mic for entry level prices I came across the marshall v67(i). ever since I am really satisfied with it. I tried it also in comparison to a neumann u87 and akg 414 in a treated room and was quite surprised by how close it gets to them. however, i tried it with neve-preamps and that was more than amazing for such a low price.

when you buy a microphone, there is always a chance that you might find a "twin" that is much cheaper. like the cm87. a friend of mine bought it because he's usually working the u87 and was curious to find out more about the cheap twin.

what can happen is that the patent rights to an old-classic mic expire and then there is a company making use of that situation by producing the cheaper twin. which happened in the case of the cm87... luckily i found an article that deals with exactly that.. check it out

Alternatives To Expensive Audio Gear: Advanced Audio Microphones Review: Neumann U87 vs. CM-87

The Focusrite 2i4 has midi ports and decent preamps for the price... 2 ins, 4 outs.
i run the smaller '2i2' with no problems... Good little soundcard... I've even got it running successfully with my ipad as well as my PC!

I'd pick up an SE2200a (multi-pattern version) which'll give you options... I borrowed one recently and it's now top of my Christmas list.

always good to have an sm58 around as well imo...

Back