Gangsta Rap: Then and Now

FrancisLBSmusic

Just wanted to put 2 cents on the current Chief Keef/Lil Jo Jo situation that has the hip hop world buzzing right now.

Firstly, yes it sucks this young kid died but lets put all politics regarding socioeconomic circumstances aside, this dude was just going to contribute more filth and garbage for this young generation, so **** him. Chief Keef is a problem. And I'll tell you why.

Back not so long ago in the late 1980's and 1990's when we had these "gangsta rappers" putting out controversial material that was "offensive" and "dangerous" and such a problem America had the Vice President's wife at the time, Tipper Gore, lobbying to put Parental Advisory stickers on any album deemed offensive (if you don't understand the importance of that statement America is a nation built upon freedom of speech and press and not only is this legislation offensive to American values it was targeted towards black artists making it oppressive and racist). You see, American politicians and angry white mothers weren't trying to ban this music because they said, "****" or made references to killing people in the streets...they wanted to ban it because it might wake up some white kid in middle bible thumping America that in Urban Area's police are beating the shit out of minorities. They were scared our children might be exposed to the reality American politics and how the War on Drugs was designed to keep black people poor, sick, and most importantly behind bars. (Google prison populations and for profit prisons for you younger kids).

You see, back then in the 90's the economy was good, America was a great place to live. When it came to our culture, movies, sports, music, you name it...nobody in the world touched the special and diverse landscape we got to experience. Sure there was problems, but when you look back a couple of decades...the 90's takes the ****ing cake. And back in the 90's we didn't have twitter. We didn't have WorldStarHipHop...we didn't have all these resources that could be used for good to sit and watch to dumb us down. We couldn't click on a police brutality video, then 5 minutes later click on a Chief Keef video, and then after that have a video of a crack head eating his own shit to watch. You know what we ****ing did? We listened to ****ing awesome lyricism that shaped and changed our views on the world. Yes 2Pac rapped about guns, women, drugs, etc...but guess what? It had substance. It was so much more than that and it doesn't take quotes of lyrics to prove this point. You know why it doesn't? Because Chief Keef's claim to fame is a 5 minute song about how he doesn't like "**** nigga's" and whatever the **** he's trying to say.

Now we have this 16 or 17 year old or however the **** old he is tweeting the world about how he doesn't care some other 18 year old kid just got shot up. Now I understand this kid is young and ultimately dumb, I still don't give this mother ****er a pass because he's not contributing to the legacy of hip hop. This kid is dumber than 2 apes with down syndrome trying to reproduce. Watch his interviews. Google his lyrics. **** this kid.

I understand this type of music is what's hot right now. I'm not gonna front, I like the "I Don't Like" beat. I like the energy. And mostly overall it's not THAT terrible. But the ambassador of the energy is a worthless ****ing punk named Chief Keef. Now, we can look at somebody like Waka Flocka Flame who arguably is in the same lane, brings the same energy, and makes similar music; the difference between a WFF and CK is Wacka reaches out and distinguishes his art as entertainment.

I love Waka Flocka Flame. He's made strives in his career and he's unarguably better lyrically than he was a few years ago. He does endorsements through PETA to stop animal cruelty and he's giving back to community. He's humble, he's hilarious, and he's enjoying the ride. Chief Keef just runs around with a frown on his face, doesn't respect interviewers and is just a ****ing punk dumb ass who caught a lucky break.

Gangsta Rap from the 80's and 90's was pure genius. I'm lucky to live in a time when it was in it's prime. I'm 26 and I'm not being the old dude reminicissing about the old days. It's just the ****ing truth. 2Pac was giving us U.S. History lessons in his music. He was opening our eyes about how we treat other people of other races, people in our own communities, and more importantly he was shaking up the system because the powers that be don't like free thinking people in numbers who want to change the status quo. And it wasn't just Pac. You had NWA, Ice-T, Dre, Snoop, Big L, Nas, and the list could just go on forever but I'm ranting not googling and manufacturing a research paper on why Chief Keef, the younger generation, and the music of today just ****ing sucks.

This generation praises ignorance and it really upsets me. If you're a high schooler in 2012 you have so many resources to utilize and you praise pieces of shit like Chief Keef. Thanks for anyone who read this through. I'm done.

**** Chief Keef.

Last edited:
That was long time ago my friend, but the music ain't changed. So called gansta rap was new, shit rap was still new. Partying and talking shit ain't nothing new. I think technology makes it a little different and where hip-hop is today. I mean nwa was coming from one of the worse hoods in the country at that time, chi town is a little hot right now. Not saying nwa and chief on the same level, i'm just saying environment has always been key to hip-hop.
I think we sometimes see hip-hop through an imaginary filter when we look back, because we always seem forget about the non-ideal/innovative rappers when we look back through time. I mean if biz markie dropped today what would people say. no diss. On a local level, cats always talked shit. When i was growing up this was fight song:

In college b4 we went out we would listen to this

A party song that use to work on my damn nerves:

I get what your saying in terms of the big picture and i'm got some issues with Keef, but i can't act like he ain't part of a tradition of hip-hop.

Last edited:
I agree with you to a certain extent. And yes all those YouTube links are classics and familiar to me. Yes, even in the 1990's for every one great artist there's over a dozen whack ones. Even in Biz Markie's worse moment he wasn't encouraging people to shot people nor was he promoting ignorance on the level this Chief Keef dude is. There is nothing prolific about a 16 year old drop out rapper who puts probation violating lifestyle on youtube for the world to see. I just can't stand this moronic kid.

Yeah of course. Maybe Keef will end up being something good. Maybe he'll grow up, travel a little and realize life isn't about putting negative music out. Dude has money now and is still living in the hood, I worked my whole life to get out of my environment.

Gang shit is on another level. Not saying I side with Chief Keef..........but the dude dissed him with a song called BDK. I don't know about the gang stuff in the Chi......sounds to me that BDK....the K might mean killer or something. I don't know if Chief Keef is in a gang called BD.......if he is......then there could be some humor on his side that some dude saying screaming BDK got murdered. It's all sad to me......but people can't really look down at one and feel totally sorry for the other. It could've been Keef shot on some BDK type shit and he lives. Would he have laughed? Would he have felt bad for him? We don't know. But you get to see the difference between real gang life and rappers talking about what they never lived. One rapper claims to be a dude pushing weight and now he is rich.....guess it is safer to lie about the dope game to get what you want than to lie about what set you claim.....stuff like that will have you seen about. But a person is brought up to represent to the fullest so it's obviously going to show up in their rhymes. People are not used to that...they have been listening to biters of what's hot for so long that reality is a shock. When dudes represent......shit goes down because somebody else is representing also. It deeper than rap....they just happen to rap...and then fame comes....but things don't change.

But we can't use rap as an excuse for somebody famous being responsible. Rappers every year lose their lives to gang violence. It never stopped. Want to stop gangsta rap......you have to stop gangs. That ain't happening. It's easy for people to not be a part of it who didn't have to grow up around it. Being a baby in the projects growing up in that area and being with your friends you played shootem up games with. Now you in a gang and it's a no brainer because of your surroundings. Momma can't stop that. Daddy can't stop that. A lot of parents are a part of it their self. Rap songs can't stop it. Nothing will stop it. The person in that surrounding must want to get away from it.

Last edited:
But we can't use rap as an excuse for somebody famous being responsible. Rappers every year lose their lives to gang violence. It never stopped. Want to stop gangsta rap......you have to stop gangs. That ain't happening. It's easy for people to not be a part of it who didn't have to grow up around it. Being a baby in the projects growing up in that area and being with your friends you played shootem up games with. Now you in a gang and it's a no brainer because of your surroundings. Momma can't stop that. Daddy can't stop that. A lot of parents are a part of it their self. Rap songs can't stop it. Nothing will stop it. The person in that surrounding must want to get away from it.

sad part is...people in the projects don't realize how much opportunity they really have. if they did there would be less gangs and violence. imagine living in some 3rd world shity country,with real wars and poverty and no way to get out because you cant get a visa?

y'all overestimate the impact chief keef has, for the kids in the hood he's just one of them who got lucky, like the baddest kid on the block you wanna be cool with or stay away from

young dudes look up to the big cats, talkin jay, ye, so on..

chief will be a nobody in some time

sad part is...people in the projects don't realize how much opportunity they really have. if they did there would be less gangs and violence. imagine living in some 3rd world shity country,with real wars and poverty and no way to get out because you cant get a visa?

True. It's hard telling a young man to go to school when he seeing guys 3 and 4 years older driving cars sitting on 30s around where he at. Getting killed or hurt badly is just part of the game......and the game is something worth "dying for" when it comes to trying to get it. Death is already excepted for the return. If they didn't see that......and had other things inspiring them that is actually "fool proof and safe".....then it would be a different story. But you can't tell a 13 year old who sees a 17 year old driving in a Charger sitting on 30s and paint drippin....Concord Js glistening... jewelry shining..nigga flashing money....got all the big booty hoes...you can't tell neither one of those young dudes shit. And the other side of it all is not a stop sign to not go that route...it's part of the game.

It that atmosphere. I'm still affected by it. I feel bored and empty without the hood. Being around my people. It all can be beautiful like I feel it. But the bubble busts right there. Niggas better be trying to get whatever they can legally or illegally and get out. Remove that comfort zone from their brain. Because one day it will be no more daddy government to save them. The cries for help. The help will be no more with nothing they can do. The project will be completed....and they will be left behind.

Niggas need to quit complaining and crying and get wise with knowledge. Fuuck the hood....it's the trap. Hav people stuck on some dumb shit. When you dead that shit don't matter. And when you dead....you realize how special life really is even through the hard times. Life is a wonderful thing no matter what we going through. This shit ain't nothing but a game. Your spiritual mind goes blank....then next thing you know the doctor spanking you on the butt and your momma got you in her palms. Shit worth more than all this teasing bullshit people want. When you got it all....what's next?

Take my ass to sleep.

You need to understand that the music is reflective of real life. People, even kids, understand that its just entertainment. The violence in Chicago has been happening and will with or without Chief Keef. Don't blame him for something thats been happening before he even came into the picture. Just like the N.W.A. days, they didnt make their hoods violent because of their sound, their sound was violent because of their hood.

And Chief Keef just isnt used to intervieewers, he shot to fame out of nowhere, he's not sure how to deal with it. I can tell you he's a pretty cool person with good humor.

All of these rappers are ignorant, some are just more structured than others. Gangsta rap is the same as its always been, just the production is different. I highly doubt you can relate to the inspiration behind "gangsta rap", so dont speak on what you dont know.

---------- Post added at 04:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

And most of you have been complaining about nobody being "real" in rap anymore. Chief Keef is a Black Disciple. Jojo claimed BDK, which means hes a shooter for a rival gang. Keef laughed at the death of someone who threatened to take his life as well (still not acceptable behavior). Too "real" for you?

I wish people would stop hating on Chief Keef. Nothing he says or does personally affects me because I know it is entertainment.

I wish people would stop hating on Chief Keef. Nothing he says or does personally affects me because I know it is entertainment.

Most kids don't know that though. And they're the ones listening to that ish. I remember the first rap song I heard, which really gave me the passion for music that I have today was Changes by 2pac when I was maddddd young. Realistically speaking, I shouldn't have been listening to that at that age. But this stuff finds its way to your ear one way or another. Hip-hop/rap is the young generation's genre. Does that mean I go around the hood carrying a gat with some dope in my back pocket? No. But that's cause I was fortunate to have had a good upbringing with 2 loving parents in the house.

The majority of these kids in the ghettos don't have that. There's nobody to tell them right or wrong except these rappers, their crews/gangs, and maybe if they're lucky, their momma's or a brother or sister.

Last edited:
Yeah of course. Maybe Keef will end up being something good. Maybe he'll grow up, travel a little and realize life isn't about putting negative music out. Dude has money now and is still living in the hood, I worked my whole life to get out of my environment.

Stop...

just stop.

People are going to make Keef... more Keef.

I'll save this thread...

Classic joint! Gotta here that Ultramagnetic "EgoTrippin" every once in awhile.

People forget about the classics....

I'm going soft on this next one... (GrandMaster Dee is the BEST DJ ever...seen it with my own eyes)

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Cause you young mf's don't know....

Last edited:
Back