G-Funk sound

P

Preme11291

What keyboards/modules gave producers like Dre and Scarface them funky synths and basses?

Are you talking about back in the day? I think both a Korg M1 and Kurzweil K2000 may have played roles. He used an MPC60 back then too.

RZA said West Coast cats had 1080s, do they sound funky? I like Spice 1's sound too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might get a 1010, it has sounds from both. BTW, I got a W-30 on my list as well, how does it sound.

Whoa - I ain't heard w-30 in a LONG time. I got one sittin in my closet. Man, that'll give you that Erick Sermon / EPMD / Shaquille O'neal / Redman sound - from back in the day. That raw almost dirty sound.

It's cool though. There's always a few on ebay. If I ever get around to cleanin out my studio I'll clean it up and hit u up to see if you want to cop it.

Back man, that thing served me for MANY tracks I made back in the day.

So a W-30 MIDI'd up to a 1010, I can get some G-Funk sounds, but I can't find any libraries for the W-30

Last edited by a moderator:
this is a good question. thanks to all who helped me on the other thread I have been learning and researching alot since then.

What is your opinion on this set up for that battlecat funky ass sound (in regards to modules/ synths):

Definitely buying a virtual mini moog (im thinking mini monsta), 61 key midi controller (i think 61 keys will be enough).

However I am unsure which rack item I should get: I've been thinking of getting the Motif ES rack. I'm not sure whether that would be enough. A producer who makes banging funk'd out beats recomendded the motif rack because i am on a budget.

It would be too expensive to get a roland jv-2080 and the motif rack. I was hoping the motif would be fine without the need of the 2080 (i could get a 2080 only but it seems like the motif will be better overall, newer and more versatile)

Opinions??? Advice??? would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Honestly there isnt much FUNKY or anything about a motif, it has better bread and butter sounds like rhodes, pianos, strings and guitars. Really though its more so about HOW you play what you have more than which module you use. You could use the JV-2080 and just blow it out fully with the JV-SR expansion cards like "Keyboards of the 60s 70s and 80s" and the Vintage Synth Expansion card, and go to town seriously. It really doesnt matter as long as you play with that funk and study the funk. Battlecat has raped alot of the Motif presets, but if you make your own sounds you can get original and do something that battlecat didnt. Other wise if you want a setup that makes all the same basic sounds that battlecat makes, you would need a Motif(cat doesnt use the ES), JV-2080 with Latin Expansion card, Studio Electronics ATC-1. Those are his main tools. But realistically you should aim for you own take on it...the study the sounds on old school funk records, Rhodes, Pianos, Organs, Moogs, Prophets, Bass Guitars, Strats, Jazz Guitars..those are the sounds...but its not limited to that by any means.

Focused said:
those are the sounds...but its not limited to that by any means.

cool thanks. yeah I want to create my own sound but I'm just not sure which rack module to get. I'm still unsure LOL what would you recomend for my purpose?

Start with something thats flexible but still makes the sounds you need...maybe even try committing to something that other folks dont use. What I have found is that you will tend to use the exact same presets that you heard on other records that you like if you buy the same things that say battlecat or Jellyroll, or whoever else uses. Im sure you could get away with using anything that has a basic mix of acoustic/electric instruments, and synth sounds. That includes, Motif, Fantom, Triton, Alesis Fusion, JV/XV modules, TR rack etc. If your setup is centric around the computer right now...consider a Sonic Cell. If thats out of budget, and you want just a lot of value, Try a Roland XV-3080/XV-5080 and some SRX cards.

Focused said:
Start with something thats flexible but still makes the sounds you need...maybe even try committing to something that other folks dont use. What I have found is that you will tend to use the exact same presets that you heard on other records that you like if you buy the same things that say battlecat or Jellyroll, or whoever else uses. Im sure you could get away with using anything that has a basic mix of acoustic/electric instruments, and synth sounds. That includes, Motif, Fantom, Triton, Alesis Fusion, JV/XV modules, TR rack etc. If your setup is centric around the computer right now...consider a Sonic Cell. If thats out of budget, and you want just a lot of value, Try a Roland XV-3080/XV-5080 and some SRX cards.
first of all thanks for the info as always. Well for equipment I have motu mkII sound card interface, dbx 160A compressor, 61 key mid controller, mpc 2000xl, sonar 3 cakewalk and also reason 4. And I'm going to buy mini monsta moog.

From what you said (thanks again for the advice) I'm planning to get a jv 2080 and also a motif rack mount. I am also going to get a banshee talk box in 2009 when i get the cash and use the midi controller and modules or virtual moog to get talkbox but that is much later on.

In regards to the motif rack, you said other people use the old motif. Do you think i should get the original motif rack ( i see one called just 'motif rack' but that has midi timing issues[FONT=&quot])[/FONT], or the es rack? although i will lose alot of cool sounds and features using the original motif rack it will save me a few hundred bucks which is a positive (but i confess new equipment has a great feel) but this timing issue with the midi really bothers me.

Last edited:
Stick with the ES rack, avoid the timing glitch. I programmed the Hip Hop Demo "Mo Street" in that joint years about 5 years ago so I'm partial to it even though I don't personally own one. You will also be able to take advantage of the insert effects better in the ES Rack.

Last edited:
Focused said:
Stick with the ES rack, avoid the timing glitch. I programmed the Hip Hop Demo "Mo Street" in that joint years about 5 years ago so I'm partial to it even though I don't personally own one. You will also be able to take advantage of the insert effects better in the ES Rack.

awesome. thanks again. I will let you know how it goes. I really look forward to getting hands on with this gear and learning.:D:victory:

When i think P-funk, or G-funk, I think minimoogs and minimoogs. That's the absolute first thing that comes to mind. Not a JV module, or a recent module, but a minimoog. The rest is no big deal. G-funk is a lot of breaks, and a lot of synths, the synth, the minimoog.

ps - gangsta calibur 95 , $ and drank are bangin beats. how long did it take u to get the skills to knock out slappers like that?

I made those tracks in 2005, so at that point I was about 4 years into making tracks. thanks man

Back