Future: Ableton Live 9 vs FL Studio 11

+1 for Live 9. FLs iOS app is cool, but when they come up with iOS LIVE it will be a clear winner. The ability to trigger clips from a touch screen will be amazing for creation and for DJing. The future is touch devices and for the time being FL has the lead.

I wanna say Live. I used FL for years and get easily put off by the workflow it's not for me. Like Xabition mentioned the life long updates with FL is a big thing so it's always on the radar...or for colabs more ppl use it. What are the new features of 11 though have no clue.

I wanna say Live. I used FL for years and get easily put off by the workflow it's not for me. Like Xabition mentioned the life long updates with FL is a big thing so it's always on the radar...or for colabs more ppl use it. What are the new features of 11 though have no clue.
Exactly Ableton's price structure is kinda screwy even. To upgrade from their standard version to the suite right now is like $300 gonna go up to $400 and FL is $400 for life. I so wish I could get with the FL way of working because I love their pricing. If I were starting out and had no other DAW experience I would buy FL or Reaper for the price alone.

Okay :). I hope that the ABLETON LIVE tutorials would be more, even though they are now enough :) but if you look at fl studio tutorials youtube is full of them. But anyway I am learned so much by watching videos on youtube and do things on ableton by myself.

Exactly Ableton's price structure is kinda screwy even. To upgrade from their standard version to the suite right now is like $300 gonna go up to $400 and FL is $400 for life. I so wish I could get with the FL way of working because I love their pricing. If I were starting out and had no other DAW experience I would buy FL or Reaper for the price alone.

Ableton's upgrade price to Suite is not "screwy". If you upgrade now for $299 you get everything from the original Suite plus, Max 4 Live, free upgrade to Live 9, all of the Orchestral packs and others packs that you had to pay separately for in the past.. I'd say that's a hell of a deal. FL Studio is not bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to Ableton Live.

in theory... the audio to midi "sounds" like a great feature... but for me... i would rather play the phrase then hum it... plus... from the beta testers it is not doing "exactly" what it suppose to... i.e. gimmick!!!

I'm one of them. It doesn't work at all like it's supposed to. But that's what beta testing is for, to work out the kinks before release.

Ableton's upgrade price to Suite is not "screwy". If you upgrade now for $299 you get everything from the original Suite plus, Max 4 Live, free upgrade to Live 9, all of the Orchestral packs and others packs that you had to pay separately for in the past.. I'd say that's a hell of a deal. FL Studio is not bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to Ableton Live.
Yet in August my upgrade price was $259 regular price on the Ableton website. That is what makes it screwy. They claim it was a website error but the day they announced it the price was right according to the price I had always been offered plus 25% off. Now its 25% more and they refuse to acknowledge it. Hell I called them on the phone and they said they would email me later that day with a resolution that was 3 weeks ago. Ableton knew what they were doing they just didn't expect anyone to catch it or say anything. An extra $40 ain't shit when you are already paying $259 but I am protesting purely on principal. This would be my first Live upgrade and if I didn't already like the software itself i would highly consider jumping ship but most of these companies are evil in their own way. Not saying Ableton is just saying they had to screw someone and since the Suite owners pitched a fit they tried to stick it to the standard owners thinking it would be missed. That said I decided I do not need the suite. I have a ton of vsts and for the few extras I get in the Suite to me it makes more sense to just buy vsts separate in case I decide to jump off Live ever.

Yet in August my upgrade price was $259 regular price on the Ableton website. That is what makes it screwy. They claim it was a website error but the day they announced it the price was right according to the price I had always been offered plus 25% off. Now its 25% more and they refuse to acknowledge it. Hell I called them on the phone and they said they would email me later that day with a resolution that was 3 weeks ago. Ableton knew what they were doing they just didn't expect anyone to catch it or say anything. An extra $40 ain't shit when you are already paying $259 but I am protesting purely on principal. This would be my first Live upgrade and if I didn't already like the software itself i would highly consider jumping ship but most of these companies are evil in their own way. Not saying Ableton is just saying they had to screw someone and since the Suite owners pitched a fit they tried to stick it to the standard owners thinking it would be missed. That said I decided I do not need the suite. I have a ton of vsts and for the few extras I get in the Suite to me it makes more sense to just buy vsts separate in case I decide to jump off Live ever.

Ableton Live 9 was announced on Oct 25th. So if you're price was less in August that's because it didn't include the following:
- Free upgrade to Live 9
- Max 4 Live
- Tons of Live packs that you previously had to purchase.

I'd say that's worth way more than the $40 dollar difference you called Ableton to complain about, especially since Max 4 Live alone was originally $299 by itself. And for the record, Ableton didn't try to stick it to anyone. Everyone you're talking about that was complaining about the sudden increase in upgrade price over the weekend Live 9 was announced was taken care of because Ableton honored the price that was lower (and in error) to the people that already had the upgrade in their shopping carts. It's documented on the forums. Sorry you feel you deserve more, but fair is fair and Ableton has been working hard with their customers to make the upgrade worth every penny. If you want to jump ship then go ahead, I'm sure Ableton would love for you to take your self entitled attitude over to Image-Line or Steinberg.

Last edited:
he is new to the Ableton Live Family... not sure if he is a user for more than 6 months....

there was a time he thought Reason could kill Ableton Live... and this was before Rack Extensions...

he is just learning the game!!!

I guess that makes sense then, lol.

Ableton Live 9 was announced on Oct 25th. So if you're price was less in August that's because it didn't include the following:
- Free upgrade to Live 9
- Max 4 Live
- Tons of Live packs that you previously had to purchase.

I'd say that's worth way more than the $40 dollar difference you called Ableton to complain about, especially since Max 4 Live alone was originally $299 by itself. And for the record, Ableton didn't try to stick it to anyone. Everyone you're talking about that was complaining about the sudden increase in upgrade price over the weekend Live 9 was announced was taken care of because Ableton honored the price that was lower (and in error) to the people that already had the upgrade in their shopping carts. It's documented on the forums. Sorry you feel you deserve more, but fair is fair and Ableton has been working hard with their customers to make the upgrade worth every penny. If you want to jump ship then go ahead, I'm sure Ableton would love for you to take your self entitled attitude over to Image-Line or Steinberg.
But you are missing the point here. Its supposed to be 25% off the price that was already being offered that was the regular upgrade price to Live 8 Suite. The upgrade they are offering now is no different than what everyone else is offering when they try to get rid of the last few copies of their about to be outdated DAW. I don't see the fairness because again that was the price set for months hell even the day before it was announced. But hey to each his own. I still find their pricing to be screwy.

But you are missing the point here. Its supposed to be 25% off the price that was already being offered that was the regular upgrade price to Live 8 Suite. The upgrade they are offering now is no different than what everyone else is offering when they try to get rid of the last few copies of their about to be outdated DAW. I don't see the fairness because again that was the price set for months hell even the day before it was announced. But hey to each his own. I still find their pricing to be screwy.

What aren't you understanding?

Before Live 9 Announcement:

$259 - Upgrade to Suite
$299 - Max for Live
$209 - Orchestral Strings
$209 - Orchestral Brass
$209 - Orchestral Woodwinds
$169 - Orchestral Percussion
$129 - Grand Piano (previously only available in the Essential Instrument Collection)

$1483 - Total

And I'm sure I've missed a few things.

Upgrading to Suite after Live 9 announcement:

$299 - For everything
Free - Upgrade to Live 9

If you still think you're getting screwed, then I'm gonna say it's safe to assume that math was never your strongest subject.

Last edited:
Live 9. I've never used it or FL studio... but the fact that Ableton works on either a Mac or PC is a reason enough, while FL is PC only. Beyond that, I have yet to hear of a pro engineer, producer, beat maker, DJ, or musician who actually uses FL Studio. Live 9 is a professional program, with the capabilities of being DJ software that specializes in live remixes, midi sequencer, stand alone sampler, and the capabilities pro DAW software. Unlike FL studio, Ableton will run both VST and AU plugins, not just VST.
:rolleyes:

Live 9. I've never used it or FL studio... but the fact that Ableton works on either a Mac or PC is a reason enough, while FL is PC only. Beyond that, I have yet to hear of a pro engineer, producer, beat maker, DJ, or musician who actually uses FL Studio. Live 9 is a professional program, with the capabilities of being DJ software that specializes in live remixes, midi sequencer, stand alone sampler, and the capabilities pro DAW software. Unlike FL studio, Ableton will run both VST and AU plugins, not just VST.
:rolleyes:

9th wonder? Avicci? They both have made hits in FL Studio. It really has very little to do with software (or Hardware) at this point in the game. FL is a fantastic product and easily has all the tools one needs to get busy.

Both programs are quite different, Ableton Live 9 and it's Push controller interface, has revolutionary technology that has not yet been seen in any other major DAW, the Push controller seems like an attempt to re-invent the traditional piano/ Keyboard by making it easier to play with the twist of a few rotary's, expect the rival companies to replicate any ground breaking technologies with newer improved versions from their own stables. What Ableton does very best is to listen to it's community and to try to release software technologies designed to help the army of users achieve their goals. FL studio just doesn't have as much versatility or new ideas as Ableton Live 9, but it's still a great product.

Back