Funk Music when DJing?

henkhakkebar

Superproducer
Hello

I have been making music (playing guitar, beatmaking) for quite some time, and was thinking to start doing djing, to become a bit better known as a musician, and just enjoy it, and of course, make a bit of extra money.

The music i mostly make is like HipHop/Blues/Jazzy/Funk stuff, not particularly the style that is on the charts. What is on the charts, is weep woop weep woop afrohouse. (afrojack and house). Which i am not quite a fan of. (Don't want to judge anyone on his taste of music, though)

But as a Dj, i would love it most to play like a lot of funk and disco and such (80's for real), i will also play a bit of more modern music.

Will people still enjoy this type of music (of course i will present it in the best possible form, fused with modern music), or will they throw beer at me? lol.

I have almost no experience in this, I just became 15 years old, they won't even let me in into a club or partie, except at school parties, lol.

So, anyone with experience, will people only enjoy this weep weep woop, or can i play some funk stuff.

If it isn't going to work out, i will probably not do it, and try it differently to get myself known to a possible fanbase or audience. Keep in mind, that i will practice a lot, and with already achieved experience, the technical part is gonna be no problem.

Anyone who can answer, please do.

Thanks for all reply's.

btw I am not from england or america, my english sucks.

That really depends on the audience. Funk and Hip Hop/Rap are very similar so if you put a modern twist on it you might be able to get people to enjoy it. If it's a school party or something most of the audience is probably into the mainstream stuff. It might sound like a stupid thing to do but if you are DJing a school party show people some of the stuff you might play and ask what they think. Other than that just practice, good luck, man.

In a general club, you can throw in a funk track for a min but it really does depend on the crowd. If you're at a hip hop show, you can do that all day

you really need to be in a position where people know what to expect from you as a dj and hire you for those reasons. if you really want to play funk and breaks. get involved with your local bboy (breakdancing) scene. thats 90% of whats played at bboy jams

Back