From Reason 4 to Live 8

Cash_Daily

Okay, by now everybody knows my BEEF with propellerdickheadz.
I finally feel I'm making the music I hear in my head (sounds funny).
It's so ironic, I've said in the past (not anymore) Reason's stock sounds cater more to other genres than Hip Hop. With Live I'm now catering to other genres (alternative, movie score, and pop) and I'm loving it.

All I've ever wanted was ONE app to cook in. I don't rewire, never have and I don't like Recycle (never bought it either)

Don't get me started on Live's bulit in FX. It's like having an engineer by your side making your music even better.
Anybody with Live knows what I'm talking about. Everything is outlined for you. You want a certain sound on your snare...bam it's there. Need a 70's effect on your strings...bam it's there too. It goes on and on.

I feel more creative and less technical these days.

Cash Daily

Last edited:
I kinda made the other transition lol. I started with Ableton Live 7 then to Suite 8. My music was everything but pop yeah, it was really movie-like music, which is not too bad too. With Reason the sounds are more straight forward, cause the synths they got are in my opinion one of the best. It's so customizable if you know what to do with it.

However, LOL, for some reasons my projects in Live do sound better. It's harder in Reason to master and mix the songs, but it's easier to record a "plan/idea".

But anyways, I believe all DAWs got its own strenghts and weaknesses (even FL Studio LOL)

thats how i feel about reason5/record 1.5 so i can knock your feelign towards the software that you like. continue to make music brother.

Man, just a suggestion to you, Reason + Live together = awesome.

Rewire in my opinion couldn't be easier in Live 8 with the EXTERNAL INSTRUMENT plug.

I love Live as a sequencer/plugin host and I love Reason as an instrument workstation. As my man above said its just so easy to make custom stuff in Reason all the while being low on CPU.

Hit me up if u need some insight into the Rewire thing. If you take about 30 mins to set up some default templates in advance, it really just becomes drag and drop. Honestly i find using Rewire in Live 8 even easier than using my VSTi's.

Man, just a suggestion to you, Reason + Live together = awesome.

Rewire in my opinion couldn't be easier in Live 8 with the EXTERNAL INSTRUMENT plug.

I love Live as a sequencer/plugin host and I love Reason as an instrument workstation. As my man above said its just so easy to make custom stuff in Reason all the while being low on CPU.

Hit me up if u need some insight into the Rewire thing. If you take about 30 mins to set up some default templates in advance, it really just becomes drag and drop. Honestly i find using Rewire in Live 8 even easier than using my VSTi's.

Nah, I'm cool. Apperciate it though. Thanks

I treat REASON as a VST now... I do all my "real work" in LIVE and I use REASON for the old sounds I have in refills.

I'm an all-Reason user, but tomorrow I'm starting a minor with Live8 at my school...I'm very curious if I stay with Reason after Live...I love Reason tho

I'm an all-Reason user, but tomorrow I'm starting a minor with Live8 at my school...I'm very curious if I stay with Reason after Live...I love Reason tho
If it works for you then...keep working.
The grass isn't always greener on the other side.:cheers:

Last edited:
Live is really dope it just had stability issues for me so I went back to Reason and now with Record I don't see myself needing anything else. The beauty of production tools these days is that you can build your own personal arsenal of tools and sounds and create your own sound using the old and the new. My main beef with PH is only that I can't intergrate my hardware easily but at the same time I can rewire if I really have to.

Live is really dope it just had stability issues for me so I went back to Reason and now with Record I don't see myself needing anything else. The beauty of production tools these days is that you can build your own personal arsenal of tools and sounds and create your own sound using the old and the new. My main beef with PH is only that I can't intergrate my hardware easily but at the same time I can rewire if I really have to.
Ph wants you to throw your hardware in the trash.

Last edited:
I think so. PH view and a lot of the users on their forum basically say all hardware is outdated and to get rid of it as quickly as possible while you still can lol. My view on it is that vintage gear is cool and I want more of it lol. I am right now in the market for a new midi controller and a new audio interface then I am looking at scooping up a few hardware synths. Not because they will make my music better or I feel like I need them. I just like hardware synths. I miss my ESQ-1. The SQ-80 samples are in the NN19 soundbank (the SQ-80 being the upgrade ot the ESQ-1) but its a whole different ball of wax imo. You are treating a sample as if it was a 3 oscillator synh. No thanks lol. I have come to find use for both hardware and software in my setup and I am starting to think more and more of Record as a mixing solution rather than my go to DAW of choice. Reason on the other hand will probably always be my soft synth of choice.

I just went to PH's website to get that pic of a guy throwing his synth in the trash. I couldn't find it...damn.
If someone has it, please post it.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

I think so. PH view and a lot of the users on their forum basically say all hardware is outdated and to get rid of it as quickly as possible while you still can lol. My view on it is that vintage gear is cool and I want more of it lol. I am right now in the market for a new midi controller and a new audio interface then I am looking at scooping up a few hardware synths. Not because they will make my music better or I feel like I need them. I just like hardware synths. I miss my ESQ-1. The SQ-80 samples are in the NN19 soundbank (the SQ-80 being the upgrade ot the ESQ-1) but its a whole different ball of wax imo. You are treating a sample as if it was a 3 oscillator synh. No thanks lol. I have come to find use for both hardware and software in my setup and I am starting to think more and more of Record as a mixing solution rather than my go to DAW of choice. Reason on the other hand will probably always be my soft synth of choice.

That's what's up Xabiton.

Ph wants you to throw your hardware in the trash.

If Reason had a sampler in the range of Kontakt, I could see myself not laughing at something like that. I'm fine with the synths, fx, and flexibility of Reason in general. It's the sampler that is a major let down. NN-XT needs to be competing with Kontakt. Then they can put a picture of a hardware workstation in a garbage can in their promotional material.

If Reason had a sampler in the range of Kontakt, I could see myself not laughing at something like that. I'm fine with the synths, fx, and flexibility of Reason in general. It's the sampler that is a major let down. NN-XT needs to be competing with Kontakt. Then they can put a picture of a hardware workstation in a garbage can in their promotional material.
whats the point of having a sampler of that quality of people won't get that deep into it? how many people use kontakt and dont just preset dive

Exactly sampler is sampler some people imo ask for too many features and don't use half of them.

Last edited:
whats the point of having a sampler of that quality of people won't get that deep into it? how many people use kontakt and dont just preset dive

It's not about having a zillion features. Most people are certainly not going to get in there and build quality instruments that take 6 months to make. However, what's the point of having a "guitar" patch that due to the limitations of the sampler can't possibly be made to sound like a guitar. The main purpose of serious samplers these days is to be able to play back high quality instruments with realism. Kontakt is the engine behind most of them these days. I personally have no interest in ever building a guitar patch, but when I reach for one, I would like for it to sound like a guitar.

On the other hand, your logic could be applied to the whole of Reason. Don't you think? Just how many people are using Reason anywhere near it's fullest potential?

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Exactly sampler is sampler some people imo ask for too many features and don't use half of them.

Sounds like you don't know diddly squat about samplers.

^^^I gotta agree with the sampler points.

But it's kinda double sided. How good does a sampler have to be to compete with the low quality ones built into hardware? If you look at reason as a workstations synth in comparison to Tritons, Fantoms, Hypersonic, Luxonix purity, ect. It's competing very well in it's class.

Same time, it would make sense for the option to be there if you want to compete with Eastwest, Kontakt, Mach 5 as well. Every DAW has an advanced sampler these days, and NNXT could easily be rebuilt to continue loading it's current factory soundbanks while also providing you with a means to handle more intricate sample libraries.

The only place NNXT falls really short because of lack of power is in Realistic Horn Sections and Guitars(IMO), but still just as good as any other workstation synth(Fantoms, Tritons, hypersonic, Purity, Motif, ect. all fall short in the same area as well).

how many people use kontakt and dont just preset dive

and that's the funny part...

the companies are more creative than the people that buy & use their products...

the current <hip hop / rap> musical "climate" that we're in (generally) GOES AGAINST expertly using / utilizing sound modification / manipulation tools to achieve NEW & DIFFERENT sounds and songs.

the whole "model" of today is "keep it SIMPLE, POPULAR, and PROFITABLE".

do NOT "push the envelope"...you won't get (or be) "paid".

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

how many people are using Reason anywhere near it's fullest potential?

not to diss hip hop / rap, but i don't think anyone in "urban" music is doing SHIT as far as using gear to it's fullest potential goes...

i.e., cats w/ Mikos, Fantoms, QUANTUM LEAP plugs, etc...

NOWHERE NEAR FULLEST POTENTIAL

/rant

$.02

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

in summary?

AIN'T NOBODY UTILZING THEIR GEAR TO IT'S FULLEST POTENTIAL BECAUSE HIP HOP / RAP & SERIOUS SOUND DESIGN ARE FOREIGN TO EACHOTHER.

the "hip hop" / "rap" genre will actually HOLD YOU BACK "CREATIVELY" in certain ways.

like, in order for your music to fall into the hip hop / rap "box", it has to SOUND A CERTAIN WAY...or have certain, specific, PREDICTABLE ELEMENTS...

start using your gear to it's "fullest potential", and suddenly, YOU AIN'T "HIP HOP" no more.

- FyLe ForMatz

Back