French Montana sales 50k+ Smh

Labels trying to force feed wack music into people now... the co-optation game.. Labels are on their deathbeds though. You will see soon. :)

And to be honest I think that labels buy out 50k just to give out to radio stations and fans. Keef did the same amount and now he sells about 1000 copies a week. Lets see how french sells his second week. If it is a major drop in sales, then his "fans" spoke.

I thought P.Diddy was a business man lol.... signing French Montana and expecting his music to sell? Damn haha

I think he did it more for fun cause he doesn't need the money, he has like 500 mils, he just signed the hottest rapper out at the moment and psuhed soem buttons just for fun to ride with the movement and be in the spotlight, be successfull.

Hottest = biggest buzz, often as a result of grinding not jsut talent

not hottest as in best rapper quality wise

Extreme promo on websites? That don't make sense. Who spends time on the net to see those ads that's gonna actually go out and BUY an album without hearing it for free thru the same outlet? They shouldn't have counted on that being an album you hear snippets of and people going out to buy it based on how the singles were recieved.

I know he 'headlined" Summerjam, but they should've been investing in radio spins to brainwash his songs into people's heads and focused on getting him an iTunes front page(the one place on the net people actually BUY albums). There is nothing of him on new releases in iTunes the last couple weeks, beinbg that I buy albums I check there every tues for something new.

Maybe it was a Fri release and by tues it wasn't there? But this sounds like promotion dropped the ball. They can promote albms that are more garbage correctly and get a better turnout, let's be real.

acording ot that logic anybody with an internet conection will not buy any cd's however in reality hte internet is amulti million dollar business in terms of advertising and promotion. Why would they spent the money on internet promo if it didn't yield results ?

did I use the word yield corectly ? Yield as in produced

He doesn't bring something NEW to the table. Wayne has his style. T.I. has his style, Rick Ross has his, French's beats sound like they were intended for Lil wayne or Rick Ross but he either intercepted them or got them passed down to him.

If I want nabisco I buy nabisco not Equate and If I want Wayne I buy Wayne not French.

Yes they rap about the same subject matter but he hasn't built a fan base with. Wayne's been doing it for nearly 20 years. He's got fans from the 90s. So there's a known quantity when it comes to Wayne. If your a Wayne fan you know what to expect. If you don't like Wayne you know what to expect.

Nobody is a French fan, first and foremost. There's nothing distinguished about his brand. He speaks french and there's no french in his music. He's from Morocco and theirs no Moroccan influence. He's from NY and there's not even an NY influence. He's not a good rapper, producer, or hook writer for that matter. So what are you buying when you buy French? His whole career is manufactured.

Well those are all legitimate reasons why his album may not have sold well. But the OP was explaining that it didn't sell because the content was bullshit, and fans don't purchase bullshit content that has no integrity. My response was to that comment.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

I thought P.Diddy was a business man lol.... signing French Montana and expecting his music to sell? Damn haha

We really don't know the terms of the contract, so it may not have been a bad deal. He most likely signed to a 360 deal, meaning Diddy will make the majority of money from shows, merchandise, and brand extensions. If that's the case, Montana can keep pushing hot street singles that never sell on iTunes but get played up on YouTube/clubs for free. So long as those records provide a strong demand for Montana at shows, merchandise, etc, Diddy can still make money from the deal.

I have no idea, just speculating. But I'm sure that Diddy didn't bank on Montana pushing Gold or Platinum.

acording ot that logic anybody with an internet conection will not buy any cd's however in reality hte internet is amulti million dollar business in terms of advertising and promotion. Why would they spent the money on internet promo if it didn't yield results ?

did I use the word yield corectly ? Yield as in produced

You're not fully understanding what I'm saying.

If you have a good product and advertise on the net, you "yield results". If you have a mediocre product, you put it out there for people to hear snippets of and decide to download for free because of the accessablility.

French was not made into an "entity". Even headlining summerjams, all the response people gave was..."why?"

If he was to have a presence that made people want to see CD covers and open that booklet while listening to his album, or even head to itunes to get it the second it struck 12am tues morning, he could've very well utilized the multi BILLION(had to correct that)advertising and promoting powerhouse we've come to know as the internet.

Dudes aren't even trying anymore, alot more GROUNDWORK was needed. I've made alot of money making independent mixtape series hit 100 thousand units sold at a time when that was possible...so I've helped arttists sell more than French Montana as of his 1st week sales(irony is I even used to help him promote his Cocaine City DVDs and mixtapes). He's done 20-30k units off some of those.

How do you release an album on a major label in 2013 with no leading single(as in nothing getting heavy radio rotation/vevo/youtube plays, ect.), no demand for the artist(as in he's doing small venues and when he is in front of a big crowd it's for promotion(aka the label payed or used a favor to get him there rather than fans requesting it), and so late after a single that was halfway on charts(Pop it ft. wayne drake ross)with no more momentum behind the artist?

In 2001 when he still coulda done 250k on a whisper the label wouldn't have released and album under these conditions, so why do it in 2013? They should pop a bottle and celebrate he did the numbers he did.

We're in a different game now. I'm guessing they just knew that "Freaks" single was gonna save him...these days Nicki can barely stay afloat on her own.

Meanwhile artists who don't have albums out with top 10 singles on radio and itunes aren't on shelves yet? By the time they are, their singles will be as relevant as 'pop that" is right now, and I'll be asking "why didn't Wale drop when "bad" was poppin"? or "J.Cole? I ain't heard nothing from him since that single with Miguel".

These guys need to step their hustle up if they(the execs) wanna continue to eat. They(the execs) been getting fat without grinding for so many years they can't even reinvent the hustle.

At least Beyonce knew to restrategize when "Bow Down" didn't meet expectation. But can't say that's smart either. She coulda dropped an album the day that single debuted and done 200k 1st week. I'm sure that would be a failure in her eyes though.

Last edited:
Well those are all legitimate reasons why his album may not have sold well. But the OP was explaining that it didn't sell because the content was bullshit, and fans don't purchase bullshit content that has no integrity. My response was to that comment.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

We really don't know the terms of the contract, so it may not have been a bad deal. He most likely signed to a 360 deal, meaning Diddy will make the majority of money from shows, merchandise, and brand extensions. If that's the case, Montana can keep pushing hot street singles that never sell on iTunes but get played up on YouTube/clubs for free. So long as those records provide a strong demand for Montana at shows, merchandise, etc, Diddy can still make money from the deal.

I have no idea, just speculating. But I'm sure that Diddy didn't bank on Montana pushing Gold or Platinum.

Oh, okay. Do most artist have a 360 deal? I know nothing about contracts/deals, PM me if you want to tell me more, very interested.

just want to say a few things

first...regarding buzz, french has been buzzin hard in NYC for at least 5 years. He's been huge here, and not just in the bronx, but city wide for a while. The DVDs and Max B both had a lot to do with that but he's still been doin his thing for a minute.its not like this guy just came out of nowhere, which is what a lot of people seem to think. Just like how Future had "watch this" popping off in Atlanta before anyone outside of that city knew who he was.

second...albums. useless for most artists and ive been saying this forever. totally unncessary and it's archaic for everyone to measure an artists success these days by album sales. half these guys, without naming names, have no business even releasing an album. why sink the money into it? If you're killing it on feature verses, playing over 150 shows a year, have huge street singles and hot mixtapes... why bother doing some lackluster ass album filled with middle-level shit and overzelous guest appearances. that shit is played and tired and its starting to reflect in sales and ppl's opinions. when you come with an album come correct. albums that are cohesive and keep you interested from start to end, that sound like an album not just one for the club, one for the ladies, one that talks about how im still in the streets, one that talks about how im out of the streets with every song featuring 1 or 2 artists, but real albums that say something... those always do well and get rave reviews. look at kendrick for example.

third.. this album itself. why in the world would you waste album space with Pop That? Why? shit was big literally 1 year ago. people still want to hear that? i guess its a good thing it made the cut for whoever made the beat...thats good for him at least. being from NY ive always liked French back from the coke wave/max b days. aint worried about nothin is playing out of everyones car passing by on every street there is. the whole song is just 3 minutes of a hook. if you're that dude and that's your lane, great... plenty of money to be made...but why risk ruining it with a forced, mediocre album. i never understood it.

Last edited:
What are his digital sales though? He has to have some gold or platinum singles based on how much they play his stuff.

Album not too bad composition wise to be fair... better than Wale's lol.

It could find its public. I could bump this from time to time to kill time.

he reminds me of MC Dangerous from the get rich or die trying movie..

Shit, I dunno.. I stay away from his music, it slows my brain down too much

Back