French Montana sales 50k+ Smh

If 100k first week is the new platinum, does this mean French went gold? LOL

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

How can somebody who has had the radio/tv spins on lock sell so few?

Easy. Its 2013. You put out a grip of mixtapes then expect--EXPECT people to all of the sudden cop that disc when we all know his best shit is and will always be on those free mixtapes? Even if he had strong singles, he was bound for triple-plastic status. This what kills me about hiphop these days, these clowns **** up the game putting out free tape after free tape after free tape, then just expect the game to magically work for them when it comes time to turn that heat into units $old, like niggas were just snatchin' free joints off datpiff until they was ready to spend money? Naaaahhh, dumb niggas, the mixtape IS the new album.

Last edited:
Frenchie is all Diddy hype. Like 50 said, his shit don't sell without a gang of features. But puff will grind til he gets a return on his investment, they'll be a bunch of frenchie remixes to push sales.

Montana's buzz wore off months ago. And they didn't build it back up.

Had his album dropped in March, it woulda been different.

But now? Montana WHO?!

This is what I'm telling you all the time.

No integrity in your music, no connection to your audience = No loyal fans

No one would take a Bullet for french. That's the problem.

Most of these top dogs have people that would take bullets for them..Pac back in the day ? No question.

That's the normal consequence of making generic music with no substance. Its nice to listen to, but once you cold no one gives a shit.

Actually I'm happy that the industry is killing itself.

New, real shit will emerge and rise above all the greed filled garbage.

And the industry people ? They'll slap themselves for it ! Watch !

I'm not really surprised by this at all. I guess it just goes to show you that there's still hope out there. We were force-fed French Montana through the media. I have a feeling a lot of other rappers are in for a wake up call.

..............it's French Montana.

Enough said.

Bu best believe those sales will be a steady slow slow climb instead of a total disappearing act. A couple of total remixes of a few can help boost a little within the coming months.

Dude is an average artist. Average doesn't cut it. You have to be above or well below. Average never gets you more than "average results".

Tried to tell yall beats ain't shit. If it's all about beats, then this album is great.

50k is not bad and is never bad unless the expectations of an artist is high. I don't get why anybody would be shocked. There are certain pockets that people hover around even outside of the digital era "records don't sell like they used to" myth. A lot of artist had even more promotion than French back in the days....and they couldn't bust a clean 100k either......had clubs jumpin though.

Speaking of clubs.....in hip hop, the club music boom been over. Freaks would've put him up there by it's self 10 years ago.

All in all though. I say it's a good album. It's worth pushing hard to squeeze some juice out of.

Last edited:
I didn't even know the album dropped. Not sure that was promoted well...i could just be out the loop though.

They did extreme promo for him on every big site ect

Radio play from my understanding can be "bought", indirectly.

The reason it didn't sell more is the music itself, it was not that great. People always look for outside reasons and last at the music itself, seems to me often.

He just don't got that many good bars.

Songs not that dope.

He is strictly a feature artist.With out top notch beats his stuff falls flat.I don't know why people expected this to sell well.I am impressed it did 50k lol.

Extreme promo on websites? That don't make sense. Who spends time on the net to see those ads that's gonna actually go out and BUY an album without hearing it for free thru the same outlet? They shouldn't have counted on that being an album you hear snippets of and people going out to buy it based on how the singles were recieved.

I know he 'headlined" Summerjam, but they should've been investing in radio spins to brainwash his songs into people's heads and focused on getting him an iTunes front page(the one place on the net people actually BUY albums). There is nothing of him on new releases in iTunes the last couple weeks, beinbg that I buy albums I check there every tues for something new.

Maybe it was a Fri release and by tues it wasn't there? But this sounds like promotion dropped the ball. They can promote albms that are more garbage correctly and get a better turnout, let's be real.

Last edited:
I found out about French like 3-4 years ago online. His music was interesting and it grew on me. I would consider myself a fan but at the same time I've been getting his music for free for years and I haven't bought an album in forever. This album didn't make me go buy it, there's some decent things on it as far as like hardcore hip hop get you moving stuff but there wasn't enough on there to be like this is too real I'm buying this. I got a feeling a lot of people are like me they listen to his music but just didn't go buy the album.. it is what it is.. albums don't sell this is proof

I don't really like his music much.. i dont mind it tho.. but still, my boss came up to me today and asked if i heard that new French Montana..... i said "no"...
he shook his head and said Its Hot!! he said that shit bangin.. i said,,, "Oh, Yea ok il check it out" lol i dont like to hate on rappers when they obviously have a large fan base.. i just cant get into it much....................... Honestly, most of it sounds like knock off 2nd hand raps and song structure.... but who the hell am I to say it is "WAK"....... I Can't..
Much respect for him doing big things and doing what all of us would love to do... I stick to my story tho lol

it really suprises me that labels dont see that certain artists just WILL NOT sell. French was the textbook artist that wasn't going to sell. He was a broke ass man's Meek Mill in terms of the fan base and niche he was trying to reach and meek didnt sell much week 1. His sells have been consistent but Meek was not just burning but buzzing. French's whole buzz felt manufactured. None of it was organic. Nobody can describe French's sound. Nobody can name french as their number one favorite artist today. And even artists that shout him out, like him because of his personality or his relation to them not because his music demands respect. It should be obvious to labels.

But I will say that people arguing that free music killed his album are all wrong. Big Sean had about a trilogy of Mixtapes NAMED the album and the ALBUM still sold. Drake would be no where without So Far Gone. He CUT "So far Gone" in half and still went gold. 2chainz put out 3 album like mixtapes and did fine sales wise. J.Cole put 3 or 4 mixtape songs on the album and still went Gold. Kanye put out a mixtape worth of music out DIRECTLY before the album and still went platinum. Wayne puts out at least One mixtape prior to an album and still goes platinum and two weeks. So free music can help as much as it hurts.....

Its that people buy a brand and French isn't a brand. His BEATS are and his FEATURES are but he is not.

This is what I'm telling you all the time.

No integrity in your music, no connection to your audience = No loyal fans

No one would take a Bullet for french. That's the problem.

Most of these top dogs have people that would take bullets for them..Pac back in the day ? No question.

That's the normal consequence of making generic music with no substance. Its nice to listen to, but once you cold no one gives a shit.

Actually I'm happy that the industry is killing itself.

New, real shit will emerge and rise above all the greed filled garbage.

And the industry people ? They'll slap themselves for it ! Watch !

Is the "taking a bullet for you" reasoning some kind of metaphor? I have no idea how that makes sense. Lil wayne raps about the same bullsh*t as Montana. Rick Ross raps about the same sh*t. Everyone in MMG does. TI does. Who doesnt? Kendrick? So what's your reasoning for all the above artists being successful if they're all rapping about the same bullsh*t?

Is the "taking a bullet for you" reasoning some kind of metaphor? I have no idea how that makes sense. Lil wayne raps about the same bullsh*t as Montana. Rick Ross raps about the same sh*t. Everyone in MMG does. TI does. Who doesnt? Kendrick? So what's your reasoning for all the above artists being successful if they're all rapping about the same bullsh*t?

He doesn't bring something NEW to the table. Wayne has his style. T.I. has his style, Rick Ross has his, French's beats sound like they were intended for Lil wayne or Rick Ross but he either intercepted them or got them passed down to him.

If I want nabisco I buy nabisco not Equate and If I want Wayne I buy Wayne not French.

Yes they rap about the same subject matter but he hasn't built a fan base with. Wayne's been doing it for nearly 20 years. He's got fans from the 90s. So there's a known quantity when it comes to Wayne. If your a Wayne fan you know what to expect. If you don't like Wayne you know what to expect.

Nobody is a French fan, first and foremost. There's nothing distinguished about his brand. He speaks french and there's no french in his music. He's from Morocco and theirs no Moroccan influence. He's from NY and there's not even an NY influence. He's not a good rapper, producer, or hook writer for that matter. So what are you buying when you buy French? His whole career is manufactured.

people expected french to do more than 50? if i was him id be happy with that. he has no fanbase, having hot songs on radio a lot doesnt = fans that buy music.

Keep in mind we are talking first week sales......which for an artist like French Montana it means nothing. Sells of his album can boost as the week go by.........via remixes for example. You can't expect much from artist that are not on these late night shows and early morning shows. And on the flip side, if they had of rode the Nicki wave hard....extra hard....boosted sales......then what would French be? A sell out! Lose, lose. Fuuck em French....sell out man........extra buck 50.......Waka bout to show you how to do it. All on the morning show talking about how he changed his life over from the street to being more positive....for the scrippers. Them white folks don't want to hear about you thuggin....but will be clapping hard with damn near tears in their eyes about your perfect person change. And then it will be O.K for the kids to listen to Waka......not bad Waka....the one on the lateat mixtape....but the good flocka....the one featuring The So N So Choir.....music like

It's never too late to mess with people's emotions. "Every time I see that Waka video..it makes me teary eyed.." Who would've ever thunk it? Same shit that has always worked for even rappers.

Yall gon learn.......it's like these MFers don't know how to get at the cheese man! I'll show yall what's up.......give me some time.

Back