French Montana "Excuse My French" Discussion Thread....

B

BIGMOZ

Listening right now. Intro track is dope, but its like 4 repeated hooks and 1.5 verses...lol

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

BTW, Why is Scarface on the album and "**** What Happens?" Wasn't he just all over the internet talking about how wack hiphop is now, with all these producers/artists being carbon clones of each other?

This whole album is a NY artist's Ode to Trap! How the **** you gonna hate on this shit and then be a featured artist on the exact shit you're dissing?

Just started listening to it... Free Max Biggavel! ...Track 2 - tbh I think he should stay a mixtape rapper.

Also the weeknd lost his touch after Echoes of Silence. Never should have hooked up with French for this album. #hatehatehate

Last edited:
The album is pretty much a carbon copy of every other album out there. Its an album you bench press to; drive to the club to; drink from plastic red cups to. It's a party album.

The whole album can be summed up in "French Montana makes a lot of money, sells a lot of dope, ****s a lot of women and will not hesitate to kill anyone who stands in front of him." It's not like I was expecting Maya Angelou or something but god damn, every song's concept is the exact same.

Beats are dope, 8 out of 10; but they're all cookie cutter trap beats. Standard hits from Mike Will, Luger, Young Chop, etc. Other than the lyrics, my biggest gripe is with the hooks and the song formats. Every song format is 8 bar intro, followed by 16-32 bars of the hook, then verse 1. It's completely unnecessary. It reminds me of beginning producers on this site that basically make a long 2 minute intro before the beat drops. No one wants to listen to all that intro sh*t, especially when you're going to cut and paste the hook an additional 3 times. Since they're all cookie cutter records, why not make them as short as possible for people to enjoy and move on to the next record? Making a song 5 minutes, when it only has two verses is ridiculous. It gets boring real quick.

Overall, I gave it a 6.5-7. It's a great party album but that's it....and that is really all French is trying to be.

From the iTunes version its 19 tracks...most of them have features...There's only 4 solo tracks.

Well 50 pretty much hit it on the head. Dude is a featured artist on his own album. But Diddy was smart with this approach. I don't think French could carry 3 verses of the same content on every record. I want to see how many albums this pushes.

His songs dont stick with me no more...I liked his shit when he was with Konvict. I heard him when he first started getting on mixtapes...same with Meek. Idk what it is, but once they hit radio they put out a few singles then its all trendy from there.

turn up.gif
Thats me listening to paranoid right now. Im feeling it. ehh i just like to party tho...but tbh its not worth you buying the album tho.. ill just stream it from spotify or something.. French coulda went harder lyrical wise
**** what happens tonight is dope and movado did a good hook on it. (I ****s with Movado)

Last edited:
New York rappers making trap albums. The industry is pathetic. There's a place for Trap and it's down south. I like regional sounding music for variety. I don't want to hear New york niggas rapping over trap beats unless they are features on a southern artist song. That shit is just tired. Everybody sounds the same, with that same Ace Hood pattern of rapping. I'm disgusted by it all.

The album is pretty much a carbon copy of every other album out there. Its an album you bench press to; drive to the club to; drink from plastic red cups to. It's a party album.

The whole album can be summed up in "French Montana makes a lot of money, sells a lot of dope, ****s a lot of women and will not hesitate to kill anyone who stands in front of him." It's not like I was expecting Maya Angelou or something but god damn, every song's concept is the exact same.

Beats are dope, 8 out of 10; but they're all cookie cutter trap beats. Standard hits from Mike Will, Luger, Young Chop, etc. Other than the lyrics, my biggest gripe is with the hooks and the song formats. Every song format is 8 bar intro, followed by 16-32 bars of the hook, then verse 1. It's completely unnecessary. It reminds me of beginning producers on this site that basically make a long 2 minute intro before the beat drops. No one wants to listen to all that intro sh*t, especially when you're going to cut and paste the hook an additional 3 times. Since they're all cookie cutter records, why not make them as short as possible for people to enjoy and move on to the next record? Making a song 5 minutes, when it only has two verses is ridiculous. It gets boring real quick.

Overall, I gave it a 6.5-7. It's a great party album but that's it....and that is really all French is trying to be.

real talk you should write for a magazine or something. That's a spot on review, and it's fair-- you're not just flaming him or riding. Well done, sir

Hello FP members...I'm new to the community so I would like to say that first off. And as far as the "Excuse My French" album goes, personally I think there are way to many features on this album. A lot of artists seem to be relying on way to many features lately.

New York rappers making trap albums. The industry is pathetic. There's a place for Trap and it's down south. I like regional sounding music for variety. I don't want to hear New york niggas rapping over trap beats unless they are features on a southern artist song. That shit is just tired. Everybody sounds the same, with that same Ace Hood pattern of rapping. I'm disgusted by it all.

Blame the internet. The regions have been blurred and now everyone wants that south sound...NY to LA. I see where your at with this thing. I thought I was all alone in the thinking that everyone is on that Ace Hood style. New York is not trying to take Hip Hop back they are conforming to the now. It use to be they were the trendsetters...now they follow the trend. Fat Joe kept his career alive by going down south. Busta Rhymes saw that and now he is down with Cash Money. The next thing will be more global somehow. I thought dubstep would be the start of that trend.

Blame the internet. The regions have been blurred and now everyone wants that south sound...NY to LA. I see where your at with this thing. I thought I was all alone in the thinking that everyone is on that Ace Hood style. New York is not trying to take Hip Hop back they are conforming to the now. It use to be they were the trendsetters...now they follow the trend. Fat Joe kept his career alive by going down south. Busta Rhymes saw that and now he is down with Cash Money. The next thing will be more global somehow. I thought dubstep would be the start of that trend.

The south has had a strong presents in music since the late 90's...Snoop jump on ship with No Limit to maintain is presents in the industry...So its really not a trend anymore, it's just the south has more of that raw sound and has been the most innovative for awhile now. Trap music isn't the problem. Alot of trap music really has a fresh and clear sound to it, plus it clearly doesn't use the crutch of sampling. Which leaves it to be more original. Now we even have RnB artist who are moving towards that sound. I don't think the East Coast will ever truly regain the grip it once had. Its the flow of southern rappers that has captured the attention of music listeners and industry professionals. That southern slang or drawl is different, unique, and always evolving.

The south has had a strong presents in music since the late 90's...Snoop jump on ship with No Limit to maintain is presents in the industry...So its really not a trend anymore, it's just the south has more of that raw sound and has been the most innovative for awhile now. Trap music isn't the problem. Alot of trap music really has a fresh and clear sound to it, plus it clearly doesn't use the crutch of sampling. Which leaves it to be more original. Now we even have RnB artist who are moving towards that sound. I don't think the East Coast will ever truly regain the grip it once had. Its the flow of southern rappers that has captured the attention of music listeners and industry professionals. That southern slang or drawl is different, unique, and always evolving.

I wouldn't call sampling a crutch especially since Trap is extremely basic and only requires an 808 closely placed high hats and some Orchestra pre sets. Big Krit, Toomp, Organized Noize, etc all sample and their tracks are some of the best in the south IMO.

BTW, Why is Scarface on the album and "**** What Happens?" Wasn't he just all over the internet talking about how wack hiphop is now, with all these producers/artists being carbon clones of each other?

This whole album is a NY artist's Ode to Trap! How the **** you gonna hate on this shit and then be a featured artist on the exact shit you're dissing?

Back to reality. If someone asked you your personal views in an interview.....you tell them right? You didn't name names, you said it as how you see it....to answer a question. Now....does that stop you from getting money on a feature? Shit is a business.....at the end of the day.

This is what happens when you mix the business in with the personal views. People forget it is a business. You can work at BBQ restaurant washing dishes.....doesn't mean you love the food. Better yet....work at a pig slaughter house....doesn't mean you love pork.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call sampling a crutch especially since Trap is extremely basic and only requires an 808 closely placed high hats and some Orchestra pre sets. Big Krit, Toomp, Organized Noize, etc all sample and their tracks are some of the best in the south IMO.

you make a very valid point, as is the point i was trying to make if you take my comment in it's entirety.... most of the hit music and popular music have very basic beats. for example, the track that Scott Storch produced for Chris Brown's song...I think it went something like "is your man on the floor, if he ain't let me know.." i can't recall the name of that track, but the beat was extremely basic. I'm not saying sampling isn't great and shouldn't be respected but more artist are trying to pull away from doing quite so many sampled songs because of all the red tape and money that is required to get those samples cleared. So more artist are clearly leaning towards trap music and any music that doesn't use samples. I'm not a fan of most trap music, because of the message that is projected in the lyrics. but i am a fan of alot of the music that is being made that uses the style of trap beats. not every trap beat requires the use of 808's and orchestra pre sets or hits. sometimes producers just use the rolling hi hats along with some smooth pianos and it makes for a very original and nice sound.

Last edited:
Back