Freddie Gibbs Pinata

The production was great as always with Madlib. The lyrics though, they put me to sleep.

Take the title track for example:
*****, I've been thugging since the mother****ing Ten Speed He's comparing his thugging to a bike? nice one.
Redbone on my handlebars, I like my ******* mixed breeds - good to know? Slight racism in my mind here. (to think some races are more attractive than others)
Feel the Philly tighten with a 20 sack of stress weed You smoke shitty weed, good to know. Hopefully this will help ignorant people who blow money on crappy weed relate to you.
Educated, at the stove I'm working recipes Damn, is this dude really spitting about crack in this day and age. It's been done so much and it's not even that era for cracks popularity anymore. (This means he sucks as a drug dealer, maullie would move way faster)
Reputation say I'm robbing just for recreation Robbing for fun is the dumbest thing ever. I want to hear a story of someone starving having to rob to stay alive.
Revive my enemy with gun-to-mouth resuscitation poor song structure with this line and your bringing your enemy back to life with your gun? That is one of the most retarded things i've ever heard.

His flow wasn't anything special, just good enough to not hurt my ears, just bad enough to not be interesting. Couldn't get through half of these songs. To call this the best album of the year is a joke.

The production was great as always with Madlib. The lyrics though, they put me to sleep.

*****, I've been thugging since the mother****ing Ten Speed He's comparing his thugging to a bike? nice one.
Redbone on my handlebars, I like my ******* mixed breeds - good to know? Slight racism in my mind here. (to think some races are more attractive than others)
Feel the Philly tighten with a 20 sack of stress weed You smoke shitty weed, good to know. Hopefully this will help ignorant people who blow money on crappy weed relate to you.
Educated, at the stove I'm working recipes Damn, is this dude really spitting about crack in this day and age. It's been done so much and it's not even that era for cracks popularity anymore. (This means he sucks as a drug dealer, maullie would move way faster)
Reputation say I'm robbing just for recreation Robbing for fun is the dumbest thing ever. I want to hear a story of someone starving having to rob to stay alive.
Revive my enemy with gun-to-mouth resuscitation poor song structure with this line and your bringing your enemy back to life with your gun? That is one of the most retarded things i've ever heard.

His flow wasn't anything special, just good enough to not hurt my ears, just bad enough to not be interesting. Couldn't get through half of these songs. To call this the best album of the year is a joke.
You going a little hard on Fred, ha.
I think he has a respectable flow for the lane he's in. He switched up his flow on more than one track. Plus his voice is distinctive for that gansta or grimmie style.
I'm not claiming he's Cyhi or Ab-soul, but he's solid and when u add a Madlib you're talking an above average album.
To each his own, but I think its one of the better albums so far and Fred held his own.

Last edited:
yeah I'm sort of in the camp who's not really a fan of freddie's contribution. I feel like:

Madlib's Production is carrying the whole thing, Freddie's voice/flow (beside's the stuff were he raps fast, that's were his lyrics sound more like another language/gibberish/etc.) suits the vibe, but it could've done some quality assurance...maybe bouncing it off a few more perspectives before doing the final mix. tweek some ryhmes here and their....I don't really have a problem with the production...loved that stuff!

The subject matter was fine, suited the theme and all.

But given the resources I think they could've made something phenomenal compared to what's there.

It's good, feel's like they really missed out on an opportunity though. It's pretty god damn neat all said, it is unique and I wouldn't mind hearing more stuff like it...almost sounds like what that guilty simpson album should have came out like.

P.S I didn't listen to this that much at all so that could be something to consider.

What? Reading comprehension dude.

What are you talking about? He just said that he´s been thugging since that bike came out... so, since he was like a little kid.

What´s the point of your comment? 90% of rap is idle boasts about a rapper´s deeds and preferences. And stating that you find women in some races more attractive than others is racist? Get da **** outta here.

That being said, I don´t disagree with the rest... but they don´t bother me.

Personally I think it´s a dope album, great beats, dope flows, good songs. And I really like how these two dudes from different musical environments came together and made a dope album. Though it does kinda weaken after Thuggin IMO (with the exception of Shame)...

Sorry i phrased what i was trying to say too loosely, basically i was saying he could have compared the time he started thugging to something more interesting, i like creativity in my music, the amount of times i've heard bikes mentioned in rap is weird. The racism thing can go either way but still why the **** do i need to know what skin colour he finds attractive. It's just a pointless uncreative statement to try and get that agreement from the "ignant".

I can't turn off my head to listen to his lyrics without getting mildly annoyed with each line he spits and the flow isn't good enough to distract me from it. How can you say the flow is dope?? Have you heard any other Hip Hop aside from this?? His flows are mediocre at best.

Don't get me started on the song concepts.

Last edited:

What topics would have interested you? I'm not a big fan of artists who promote black on black violence but glorifying drug dealing is nothing new in hip hop. Raekwon's Only Built for Cuban Linx is considered a classic album and it's full of coke sniffing & drug dealing references. Our government protects the poppy fields in afghanistan, the CIA funneled crack into the inner cities so I can't consider Freddie Gibbs a bad guy for giving us his cinematic interpretaion of life in the hood. That's the great thing about hip hop. many different segments of the population get the opportunity to express themselves. Freddie just represents the grimy get that money by any means segment of the population. Other rappers rep different segments like the skinny jean population(I had to throw that in there)These videos are old but I found them quite interesting and entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbxcPy1qJTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwC5ePDNkp0

Last edited:
What topics would have interested you? I'm not a big fan of artists who promote black on black violence but glorifying drug dealing is nothing new in hip hop. Raekwon's Only Built for Cuban Linx is considered a classic album and it's full of coke sniffing & drug dealing references. Our government protects the poppy fields in afghanistan, the CIA funneled crack into the inner cities so I can't consider Freddie Gibbs a bad guy for giving us his cinematic interpretaion of life in the hood. That's the great thing about hip hop. many different segments of the population get the opportunity to express themselves. Freddie just represents the grimy get that money by any means segment of the population. Other rappers rep different segments like the skinny jean population(I had to throw that in there)These videos are old but I found them quite interesting and entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbxcPy1qJTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwC5ePDNkp0

The topic is acceptable but the way he presented it was not, that was my whole point.

Without going overboard with the d*ck ridin' I personally loved the joint. Had in repeat for several days. It's rare to see so cohesive albums these days, which speaks on why good rappers may be better off releasing albums together with beatmakers (see. Gangstarr, Kanye & Common, Pusha T & Pharrell, N.W.A with Dre etc.), simply put, if you have one crative mind behind the sounds, the album structure will be better... That's a thing that's really overlooked these days. I really like the album, album of the year? I don't know, I should listen all rap albums made all over the world in 2014.. there might be unknown cats out there who bust that album's ass wide open, but we'll never know.. but absolutely better album I've heard in a looooong time

i enjoyed this alot, im actually going to buy it when i get paid. I had heard of gibbs here and there but i didn't really embrace him until this project and mainly due to madlib. As a active sampling producer myself, Dude is one of my influences and im glad gibbs did this with him. I didn't care for his flow at first, but appreciated it throughout the album. On my 2nd listen i got used to gibbs flow, it's good, the only thing i don't like is the verses seem a bit forced from time to time. Subject matter was good, wasn't great, but thats alright. Production wise i enjoyed this, i love sample based beats but even more when they're done right. Madlib has a gritty, dirty style that meshes well with gibbs over this project. If he would've been a bit more hands on with how this was created i think i'd love it even more, i read on wiki or somewhere that he just sent gibbs the beats and gibbs laced them. Nonetheless, the cd is still dope and i'll continue to bump it.

Back