Fostex pm2 - review

ki_cz

Well, I just bought these monitors about a week ago, and although I'm sure they aren't broken in all the way, I feel confident that after about 35 hours of listening time, I can at least provide some first impressions.

To start off, when purchasing these, I was deciding between the:

Fostex Pm2
Krk RP8
Event TR8

I managed to take the trip to the store last weekend to listen to all three. I brought some vinyl and some cds to try them out.

I'm coming from the Event 20/20bas speakers, which unfortunately were about $300 over my budget for another pair, and finding them used in my country is unheard of. I loved these speakers, and was looking for something that was close in sound quality, as well as power.

Listening to these three side by side, it was clear that the fostex monitors could handle anything that I would throw at them. At 240w each they are definitely a hefty pair, weighing just as much as, if not more than the 20/20s.

At certain points, the highs definitely sounded a bit brittle, but in my opinion definitely provided a more distinct mix than the other two. I found the bass on the RP8 to be too round for my liking and the bass on the TR8 was almost too clean. Although the fostex bass is a bit heavy, the 3db cut on the back does definitely make a difference. There is also a full range available for the tweeter cut which makes adjusting for the 'brittleness' a breeze depending on taste.

In addition to taste, I found the look of the fostex to be much better than the shiny yellow cones of the RP series. While the V series looks great on the KRK's, I found the material used in the RP series to look a bit "cheap" not that this has anything to do with the speakers themselves.

These were the only speakers that I could find for the same price where I live, as they cost in the US, so naturally I was happy to see that they were quality. I'm not sure how the stack up overall in terms of flatness compared to other monitors in this price range, but they honestly sound great to me, and so far I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I'm going to reserve final judgment until I actually produce on these things (still waiting on a soundcard, right now just running through my dj mixer), but I'm very happy and would recommend these to anybody looking around in this price range.

I hope that somebody can provide some insight as to how flat these are and how they stack up in a professional opinion, but just throwing my feelings out there.

Back