FireWire/Usb Soundcard (High Quality)

M

Maine-1

Whats good? what would ya'll reccomend? I'm lookin to get a good soundcard, i've been making beats for about 3-4 years.. and this Audigy is no longer cutting it. I need the real deal, money is not an option at this point I got a few royalty cheques that should put me on my feet. As far as monitors I am thinking on getting the Alesis Active M1 monitors, I just need a dope soundcard that will give me the highest quality possible. holla at me!

hightest quality possible, then we are talking about 10k$ or more for a soundcards (prism audio, radar, ...), but that will be to much i think.

You could use apogee (with the xfire card) or motu, or work with lavry bleu/lucyd convertors and an RME pci card with adat/aes/spdif connections. Those systems are 1-5k depending on the setup.

if your on a budget, try the m audio firewire 410.

i got it and it works well.

Hi there!

Try the EMU last sound cards. you won´t regret it. Same chip as the Protools hardware. Get the one with M as model. RME sound cards are always a strong thing, cost more, sounding relative the same as EMU. Greetings.

I'm using a MOTU MKII 828 firewire and I love the hell out of it. It has 20 inputs and 22 outputs, including 10 channels of pristine 24 bit/ 96kHz analog recording and playback, MIDI, tons of other features to customize it to your DAW. It also functions as a stand-alone mixer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, can you route like, 16 stereo channels from Ableton to outs on MOTU and connect them to each separate channel on 16 chan. mixer? I`m looking for something like that... :-/

Hm, can you route like, 16 stereo channels from Ableton to outs on MOTU and connect them to each separate channel on 16 chan. mixer? I`m looking for something like that... :-/

Good question and yes, I believe so, but I'm sorry to say that I'm not 100% sure. I don't even use half of what this MOTU does... I probably could of purchased something cheaper, but I always seem to go over-the-top when buying gear for those "just in case" situations that never really happen! Check out this link to give you more details and contact options:

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/copy2_of_828

I'd say check with the Abelton (I don't use that software) forums and/ or the MOTU forums or call MOTU directly for that question. Hope this helps.

I just read about this and didn't even know that ti did this until now...

"The 828mkII supports up to four separate stereo monitor mixes assigned to any four digital or analog output pairs. For example, you could set up separate monitor mixes for the main outs and headphone outs, while two additional stereo buses could be used for send/return loops to reverb units or other outboard gear. Each mix can support all 20 inputs (8 TRS analog, 2 mic, 8 ADAT optical digital and stereo SPDIF digital).

A new "CueMix Bounce Back" feature lets you route one of the four CueMix DSP mixes back to the computer. This allows you to record, for example, your entire mix - including monitored inputs - back into the computer."

Now that's HOT! I've been wanting to do this for a while now and I'm gonna hook it up this way tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a EMU 1616m... its PCIMIA but they have an USB version too. Been using it for year for both producing and DJ'ing and hasn't failed me yet. I payed about 300 - 400 for it 6 years ago so it'll probably much cheaper now.

Back