Firewire Motu, but no ports on my new laptop! USB3 or ESATA

Trrl

Hey,
I have a motu ultralite mk3 which connects to my imac via firewire 400.

I just purchased a new laptop and am trying to figure out if I interface with my motu. My options for ports on the laptop are USB 2/3 and ESATA

I have found this: FirmTek SeriTek/SpyderHUB
Does anyone have experience with a solution like this one? Has anyone had this issue and figure out a different solution?

Thanks in advance!

It appears that the firewire side of this device only works if you have it connected to a firewire port on the host. In your case your laptop, which you state has no firewire option. One thing to remember about such hubs is that they are buss powered namely your laptop would power it so battery power availablity is reduced. It does have an optional AC power brick purchased separately. Does your laptop have a PCI express slot? If so there are PCI express firewire cards pretty cheap. Google it.

@krushing - No, it is not thehybird, just firewire 400. I might sell this and pick up the hybrid. Or find something with less I/O's that's USB3.0, but I think we are still a year or two away from that.

@rollomusic - It's a Dell XPS 15L02X, I believe it has Mini PCIe inside for intended use with an SSD drive, but that's about it.

Back