Finding your own sense of "Propserity. . ."

kyng

Shutup and just do it. .
I am slowly but surely fiding out exactly what I want to do, and how I want to do it. My eyes are being opened.

One thing about me is that I like to pick the brains of the experienced so I will know what to expect and plan strategically. I ask questions until I get on people's nerves lol.

Troup sent me a message giving me guidance (I read it everyday. . .so many gems) but I have also reached out to others who are successful like Superstar O, Epik Tha Dawn, and J-Rum.

Now I'm reaching out to the rest of my FP fam.

If you don't know, I'm serving in the military (U.S. Navy). I used to have dreams of being a famous music producer standing next to the greats like Timbaland, Pharrell, both JD's, you know?

That dream declined with the album sales over the years, especially after I joined the military; total mindset change.

I am studying my ass off learning music theory and sight reading. I am trying to cross over into the NAVY band next year.

No cons about this gig. I get paid by the government to travel, practice, and play my instruments with a few side duties that don't take up much of my time.

All in all. I will be an E-5 in March, I'm getting married, and I get a cost of living allowance. . . .I can bring in anywhere from $5,000-$8,000 a month AFTER TAXES. When I cross over to the Navy Band.

Oh yeah. . .the most important PRO abou the Navy Band: NO SEA DUTY.

So with me having no sea duty, that gives me A LOT of time to myself. I want to sell my beats to TV, Film, Radio, Video Games, and music artists. I want to be on the level or above Johnny Juliano, Superstar O's, Vybe etc. I want to smash the internet market. I don't really care for major placements at all. I want to make bread.

I just want to know if it is possible to make ****EDIT***10,000-15,000 a MONTH doing this?

I know most of you are going to say "yeah it's not overnight. . ." -------- I KNOW.

I know most of you are going to say "you have to put work in. . ." --------I KNOW.

I'm not worrying about effort being put in because I have an OBSESSION with music and I love making money. I have the drive, I just want to make sure I'm not working towards a lost cause. I will give 1093274368924378208% of myself will it pay off?

I really value you guys insight and thoughts. Please share. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I make between $2k and $4k a year with music and don't even do it as a "business" or online or none of that. Don't even try. They just call me and be like "I got these songs I need your help with"....I be like "cool". So I would say up that amount you trying to make to $50k - $100k and go from there. It's plenty of money to be made as a musician. You can gig if you can play an instrument. You can perform live instrumentals if you get a routine. You can play instruments for other producers and charge. And all of these things will be a plus for your online business. The more you add to what you do in your music career, the more clientele. Stay active in the music scene....make as many paths as possible.

No offense to anybody....I think selling beats online is childish (not 100% childish but majortiy of the strategies). I don't want to be associated with it. It makes grown men act childish. It turns people tasteless because they feel they have to do what the top kids do....which is childish stuff. IMO. Put half naked woman on a page just to draw attention.....drugs and shit just to capture the attention of teens who want to rap and be about that molly life. You can make MORE money and don't have to stoop to that level or be associated around it....especially when you are qualified to do more than urban music. Next year somebody is having a studio built for me to work in as a business partner just because of someone I worked with let him hear our work together. You never know who may know somebody.

Just my 2 cent.

I make between $2k and $4k a year with music and don't even do it as a "business" or online or none of that. Don't even try. They just call me and be like "I got these songs I need your help with"....I be like "cool". So I would say up that amount you trying to make to $50k - $100k and go from there. It's plenty of money to be made as a musician. You can gig if you can play an instrument. You can perform live instrumentals if you get a routine. You can play instruments for other producers and charge. And all of these things will be a plus for your online business. The more you add to what you do in your music career, the more clientele. Stay active in the music scene....make as many paths as possible.

No offense to anybody....I think selling beats online is childish (not 100% childish but majortiy of the strategies). I don't want to be associated with it. It makes grown men act childish. It turns people tasteless because they feel they have to do what the top kids do....which is childish stuff. IMO. Put half naked woman on a page just to draw attention.....drugs and shit just to capture the attention of teens who want to rap and be about that molly life. You can make MORE money and don't have to stoop to that level or be associated around it....especially when you are qualified to do more than urban music. Next year somebody is having a studio built for me to work in as a business partner just because of someone I worked with let him hear our work together. You never know who may know somebody.

Just my 2 cent.

Dammit! I should have proof read that. I meant 100k a year/$10,000-15,000 a month. I apologize bro.

I agree with the half naked woman and the drugs. I've seen it too. I'm not about that. I can't do shit like that being in the military anyway. That's asking them to kick me out lol. I'm trying to hold on to this easy money for another 18 years and retire.

I know cats in the Navy band right now that bring in an extra 2-3 stacks a month when they are not on tour, gigging for Jazz clubs around here in Japan. Hell, my piano teacher used to be in the Navy band and he is the highest paid piano player in Japan right now. I've thought about gigging for clubs out here but I never thought about doing it for other producers. . . .Rice you a mutha****in GENIUS LOL.

Yep.....I would love to perform live instrumentation....just to lazy to set up a routine. I got Ableton Live.......just need to get in the mode of using it in a live situation.

I'm more of this type of dude than a beat seller.

Last edited:
Seriously drop out of the military. Go smoke some weed get discharged. Why would you want to fight someone else's battle when you got a battle your trying to fight yourself?

I think you need to quit, and do music, if you're really that passionate about it.

Seriously drop out of the military. Go smoke some weed get discharged. Why would you want to fight someone else's battle when you got a battle your trying to fight yourself?

I think you need to quit, and do music, if you're really that passionate about it.
co-sign to the fullest

well you could consider flipping burgers to be fighting some one elses battle.... from what i understood the circumstance seems to benifit you. Freedom over money, and all that other stuff. Money doesn't even matter beyond it giving you enough time.

inspiring read though! you seem to have your head on a good way!

Damn, y'all told that man to smoke weed and get discharged. I love this board. They know how to keep a man in a f***ed up predicament!

Next, y'all will be telling him to start having sex with many women so he won't get married. Why be with one chick when you can have them all, right?

Wait. . .so y'all mean to tell me. . . that if the government was going to pay you, to do NOTHING ELSE but practice my instrument. . .TRAVEL. . . and PERFORM. . . .you wouldn't take it.

But WAIT there's more!

Not only are they paying you your normal paycheck. . .they pay for your house too. . .

But WAIT there's more!

Not only do you get raises every year $100-200 you get to take a test and advance in rank and get MORE money. . .(by the way the Navy is the only branch that you can take a test and advance in rank).

But WAIT there's more!

I really don't feel like typing up the LONG list of benefits that come with it, like free heathcare, free college, discounts on EVERYTHING. . . .

But WAIT there's more!

Nah. . .I'ma stop there lol. I'm not a recruiter.

Wait. . .so y'all mean to tell me. . . that if the government was going to pay you, to do NOTHING ELSE but practice my instrument. . .TRAVEL. . . and PERFORM. . . .you wouldn't take it.

But WAIT there's more!

Not only are they paying you your normal paycheck. . .they pay for your house too. . .

But WAIT there's more!

Not only do you get raises every year $100-200 you get to take a test and advance in rank and get MORE money. . .(by the way the Navy is the only branch that you can take a test and advance in rank).

But WAIT there's more!

I really don't feel like typing up the LONG list of benefits that come with it, like free heathcare, free college, discounts on EVERYTHING. . . .

But WAIT there's more!

I'm not a military guy, but you have a plan where they are financing your goals (and you're not getting shot at). Most people don't have a plan, see it through my friend. Sounds like a good setup. Don't worry bout random noise.

Good that you're studying music.

But in addition to that you need to study business & marketing, internet marketing.

Make business plan,(nothing more than a road map, really) and map your route from point A to point B.

On a side note music is the easy part ;)

Yeah. . .I wanted to study music theory but I really have to study it if I want to pass this auditon to join the band.

As far as the internet business goes. . .I don't know where to start. I have an idea. . . or ideas but I have so many that it's clouding my starting point if that makes sense lol.

Good that you're studying music.
Hl
But in addition to that you need to study business & marketing, internet marketing.

Horrible advice.

People get too caught up in the internet movement. I don't see any musician with an internet strategy making any money. Musicians make money and followers and fans put those people on the internet. The only people making money from internet strategies are the ones selling internet strategies.

Getting in the Navy band and working with other musicians is where it is at. There are millions of greaseballs on the internet each sounding more foolish than the one before him. None of those jokers are getting money either.

Last edited:
All I can say is Kyng....I would kill to be in your position......not literally of course but you know...

That is a GOLDEN position that you've gotten yourself into, I'd say you could easily achieve your goals from there

Thank you so much guys. @Desires Inspires you really don't think people are making money from the net, soundclick, PMP Worldwide, selling drumkits & loops, mixing & mastering services?

Thank you so much guys. @Desires Inspires you really don't think people are making money from the net, soundclick, PMP Worldwide, selling drumkits & loops, mixing & mastering services?

Do they make money? Yes.

Are they making a living from selling those things? No.

These internet hustlers are just trying to sell game to people. They have no real product. I see this stuff and laugh.

The internet is a great thing. But many people are getting their shirts taken from investing in these internet sensations. A few people make a killing and the masses get pennies for their efforts. Look at Facebook. That company is the next AOL or MySpace. But a few cats made billions, so it isn't all bad.

Anyway, don't waste too much time in selling drum kits, beats, and mixing & mastering services unless you really enjoy creating those products and services. Do what makes sense to you and focus. Don't get caught up in this YouTube age hype machine.

Last edited:

But WAIT there's more!

But WAIT there's more!

But WAIT there's more!

But WAIT there's more!

**** no the government can suck me sideways.

I'm sure you know about Pearl Harbor.

You think all those guys "practicing" their instrument, getting paid to do so, and such are doing real well in life?

You'll be singing a different song when your ship gets a hole blown in the side by Somali pirates or Jihadists and you DIE.

The occupation of the U.S. in other countries sickens me enough that I wouldn't want too be any part of it.

The way soldiers brag about how many kids they've killed, or how many innocent people's lives they affected ****ing sickens me too the core.

But hey! They get free health insurance, free housing etc,

You aren't protecting the United State's from shit, the people in the United States are..

^^^ Guess u didn't read the part where he said that if you're in the band you're not on the boat. Not on the boat, no pirates to worry about.

Bye the way, I'm as anti-imperialistic as anyone, but the reality is most people in the (US)military are there because it provides a stable source of income not because they want to kill people.

Last edited:
Back