Finding Motivation in Music Production: Overcoming Challenges and Seeking Perfection

Andy90

Hello! I would like to know if there are things that can promote motivation to continue producing music. At the moment, it feels very challenging, and I feel like I'm making little progress. I must say that with each track I create, I learn something new. However, I still can't manage to produce the "perfect" track.

I also enjoy it a lot, but hardly anyone listens to the tracks I've created.

same here , like i feel right now. Sadly music is a craft its really hard work , but no one see`s this work and effort we put in our music making/producing. I have no or only small response it doesnt matter if on soundcloud, Reverb nation, or any plattform i post my tracks, only 1 click a week, its hard to make my music as official self employed musician, even that would cost money, i will never earn... its a strange time with Spotify and only BIG big producers seem to have advantage, or have anything to say.
I produce with Ableton, live near Vienna Austria, so ANDY90 , if you wanna chat with me, feel free, i feel you MAN

Hello! I would like to know if there are things that can promote motivation to continue producing music. At the moment, it feels very challenging, and I feel like I'm making little progress. I must say that with each track I create, I learn something new. However, I still can't manage to produce the "perfect" track.

As i wrote under your article, just think of doing music, of producing and crafting your very own music is creative work, it feels lonely often unheard , but you put your heart in it and thats GREAT thats awesome itself. You spend time better than drinking alcohol or going out night for night. I can only tell you go on and believe in yourself and try to find others to craft musical ideas , its worth it ;) keep rockin , Schöne Grüße aus der Nähe Wiens- Alex aka Blu3

Hey :) thanks for your response. Im from germany, would be nice to get in touch with you and other producers to share the expirience and learn new things.

Hello! I would like to know if there are things that can promote motivation to continue producing music.
Depends. In my case, with the Hobby cycle, it's just short bursts of music making between long periods of doing something else.
At the moment, it feels very challenging, and I feel like I'm making little progress.
Try copying other artists. Chordify can really help getting the chords down, and from there the melody comes in almost naturally. One piece i wrote started out by copying the piano chords from Sevdaliza's Shamaran, and then the other parts fell in naturally. The result? I value well-thought chord progressions and strings more.

Also, try getting some feedback from the people around you or online (which has not worked for me yet on this forum) so i'm just about to pursue different venues.
I still can't manage to produce the "perfect" track.
That's actually good. When you hear tracks as "imperfect", you can then figure out what makes them imperfect. Is it the repeating dissonance on bar 3 of the string melody? Is it the skip-skop vocals undermining the point of the piece? Is it the distortion caused by pushing an instrument to its limits? Fix these issues in your music, and try listening again... and again... and again until you get the track sounding mostly-ok and you can maybe release it.
Normally i solve this by taking a big swig of copium and saying i only make music for a hobby and i don't want to be famous and maybe it's ok i'm not popular because then i don't get involved in celebrity drama or get insulted by Azeila Banks yeah i only make music for a hobby it dosen't really matter nobody else listens

Look at other artists. It takes years to build up a fanbase and to do all these things. Maybe, if you valued being famous over having creative freedom and money, you could sign up with a record label.

Maybe try using a music distributor. They can send your music onto multiple platforms and then that allows you to connect with more fans. What's the point of uploading on soundcloud if all your potential fans are on Spotify? What's the point of uploading on Spotify if Deezer holds no artists remotely like you so you'll be unique? A music distributor will just indiscrimantely push to all these platforms, but i have no experience with them so take this entire paragraph with a pot of salt.

Maybe try using a music distributor. They can send your music onto multiple platforms and then that allows you to connect with more fans. What's the point of uploading on soundcloud if all your potential fans are on Spotify? What's the point of uploading on Spotify if Deezer holds no artists remotely like you so you'll be unique? A music distributor will just indiscrimantely push to all these platforms, but i have no experience with them so take this entire paragraph with a pot of salt.
Do you know any good distributor?

Do you know any good distributor?
I have no experience with this. I made an account on amuse.io today... I'm being forced to wait a month for my music to publish on the free tier (and i only get to publish one per month).

I suggest asking a different person for more accurate and in-depth info.

"its a jungle out there it makes me wonder, how i keep from going under " a lyric line from back in tha days...
Its from my little country austria really not easy to spread music all by myself if i don´t really oversee all the platforms, maybe its just my problem, but i think its not necessary to put money in my hand and give it to the next distributer with Name XYZ just to get maybe 100-1000 followers in soundcloud. And then another money, maybe to place on apple music ? Where is my talent gone, isn´t that than just a click-bait, who has more clicks likes followers ?
I came over some sites, i will post later they are willing to listen in my music, they offer to send in mp3`s of any lenght, that might be a way.
Of course the danger is, your tune might be stolen, the idea and even an arrangement, but thats a risk someone has to take. my next post here i will show you some labels they offer incoming tunes to present on their websides and distribute if they like it.

My posts lack one thing, as i said i post distributors, but i don´t want anyone here run into or run on any direction i propose, ofc there are multiple offers on the web.
So it might be completely wrong if i post XYZ Labels or distributors. I for example go often over soundcloud and find my way with distributors. Please pardon me, if i post none here. Blessings A aka BLU3

Of course the danger is, your tune might be stolen, the idea and even an arrangement, but thats a risk someone has to take. my next post here i will show you some labels they offer incoming tunes to present on their websides and distribute if they like it.
Thing is, though, great artists always steal from each other. I like to take chord progressions and melodic ideas. Writers like to take interesting plot points and storytelling formats. There is a line between borrowing ideas and stealing music, but if we draw it too close to the borrowing line we end up [words redacted due to copyright complaint with JK Rowling and Azeila Banks] and [words redacted due to copyright complaint with JK Rowling and Azeila Banks], such that 12TET and the major scale become copyrighted and anybody using them have "stolen" the idea.

Ps: I think you should work on your idiomatic phrasing more; whenever you try to translate an idiom directly from one language, it ends up sounding clunky; nobody in English will use "I will answer this here, maybe we get more good responses than just my humble one" literally and it might even confuse them; they'd use something like "i'll post this comment so maybe we get some better responses than my little one".

Thing is, though, great artists always steal from each other. I like to take chord progressions and melodic ideas. Writers like to take interesting plot points and storytelling formats. There is a line between borrowing ideas and stealing music, but if we draw it too close to the borrowing line we end up [words redacted due to copyright complaint with JK Rowling and Azeila Banks] and [words redacted due to copyright complaint with JK Rowling and Azeila Banks], such that 12TET and the major scale become copyrighted and anybody using them have "stolen" the idea.

Ps: I think you should work on your idiomatic phrasing more; whenever you try to translate an idiom directly from one language, it ends up sounding clunky; nobody in English will use "I will answer this here, maybe we get more good responses than just my humble one" literally and it might even confuse them; they'd use something like "i'll post this comment so maybe we get some better responses than my little one".
Yes my english is not native, but thanks for your advice, i can work on it because i really like english as language

Yes my english is not native, but thanks for your advice, i can work on it because i really like english as language
You're welcome. I wish you luck with this language that even i, a native speaker, struggle with (how do you spell restaurent?). I suggest reading more texts in English of varying contexts and registers to help you internalise the phrasing. It's something i probably struggle with in Spanish.

You're welcome. I wish you luck with this language that even i, a native speaker, struggle with (how do you spell restaurent?). I suggest reading more texts in English of varying contexts and registers to help you internalise the phrasing. It's something i probably struggle with in Spanish.
Thank you for your suggestion! I appreciate your advice and will definitely continue reading and exploring different contexts to improve my language skills. Similarly, I understand that language learning can be challenging, regardless of the native language. Practice and exposure to various sources will certainly help in mastering a foreign language.

Everyone goes through this, you have to just keep pushing forward.

Back