Finally building my home studio (I want to involve you in creating it)

kmano

So first of all, I gotta say that after I whole year of playing around, making beats on a laptop and one midi controller, I reached my goal, got a job, earn money, and I want to start to treating it serious, and build a home studio with a music space around me. Year ago I did know nothing when it comes to creating music, I didn't know what bars, beats and notes are, not mentioning stuff like mixing, mastering and DAW programs. I am really proud of myself, I feel like after one year of dreaming and thinkin about me being able to create music, now finally I can buy my first gear, get a new laptop, get everything I need to make music and improve my skills more and more. It's just beautiful feeling when you set your goal and after a year you see the first effects. Makes me determinated even more now.

Let's go to the point -> Even though I earn money, it's not a big amount of money, my bugdet for everything is around 2600 Euro, so around 2400 $

1. Things I want to get definitely and I already decided to buy it ->

a) Macbook Pro 13
b) M-Audio Axiom 61 controller
c) Alicia Keys Piano + 1 or 2 more libraries (I want to get strings sounds as well)
d) Ableton Live newest version -> Yes, I jacked them and downloaded it when I started, feel bad about it but now Im buying the original.

2. Things I want to buy, but still don't know what model and brand to choose ->

a) Audio Interface
b) Studio Monitors
c) Hardware synth
d) As "Pro" Mic as possible

3. Little description of the research I did

Monitors -> So I got two candidates when it comes to studio monitors, Yamaha's HS80m or KRK RP8G2, they are both in the same price range, and I read a lot of similar opinions and reviews about them.. only thing I think makes difference is that KRK's are more bassy, but Yamaha's are more flat and are giving more real sound. What would You suggest to buy in this case? What are Your opinions or experiences with those two?

Audio Interface -> I was thinkin about M-Audio Fast Track Pro at the begining, then went to Apogee idea, but I think Apogee is really expenisive for me, and basiclly only Apogee One is afordable for me, but I dunno if it's really good and if it will do what I want.. To make it short and simple, I want to be able to connect two instruments and mic to it. Like a bass or electric guitar, and a mic to record vocals. How does it do when it comes to combo like that? Maybe You have some other options for me around 250-350 $?

Hardware synth -> I def wanna get it. Maybe there are some plugins that are offering better sounds, but I just wanna have a hardware synth, learn it, and get the best out of it. I really want to spend time on it, learn how to make my own sounds (already have some basic knowlege about it). Candidates now are MicroKorg XL, Novation Ultranova and Korg R3 and. They are all more less in similar price range. I know MicroKorg has a small keys, but that's not a big case. I just want to be able to get the best sounds out of my synth. I want to be able to creat sounds from scratch with my hardware gear. What You think about that case?

Last thing -> Mic. I already did some research and my favourite is sE Electronics 2200A II. I read it has one of the best price-value proportion within most mics in that price range. What are Your opinions on it? I gotta admit the audio-recording area when it comes to mics is my weakest side, but Im workin on it. I will appreaciate some help on this one!

Assuming all of this, I hope I explain the situation as good as it's possible. I will definitely need opinions of more experienced producers here, and I will appreaciate all of Your tips and anwsers! I am treating that thing really serious, writing it as clear as I can, please treat me as serious as I am treating my future home studio!

For the monitors I'd choose something better like Adam A7x or focals..it cost around 900euro but it's worth it! Best investment u will ever make.

Ps..Euro is stronger then dollar..

Damn, if I will spend 900 on euro on them, plus around 1300 for Mac, I won't have too much left for the rest. I guess I just can't afford them right now, wish I would, but still my budget won't let my buy them.

Well how about u compromise, for example you really need a hardware synth? or mic right now? I mean software synths are real powerful tho and much cheaper.
You rather buy quality stuff then buy shitty then u don't have to change in near and save money. First thing though if u can go to music store and test different monitors yamaha, krk, adam, genelec, mackie and focals and see for yourself.

Yeahh I really want a hardware synth.. when it comes to software synths, I don't even know which ones are worth buying. And that's true, I want to step my mix game up, so Yamaha's should be fine for it. I read that the frequency response is around 42 till 20 though.. isn't that not enough for a lows and bass? Do they produce enough bass without the sub? And what about the Apogee One audio interface? Some opinions or experiences?

---------- Post added 09-22-2012 at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-21-2012 at 08:26 AM ----------

BUMP, I really need your help fam! Still need to think about audio interface, seems like my biggest problem now -> is Apogee One good enough to handle normal sessions, including plugged mic + guitar? And recording vocals, setting the levels of monitors, etc.. can it really work or is it just mainly a good looking toy?

I have a m-audio audiophile connected to a mackie 402. I have 2 mic/line inputs +1 line. It could handle what your talking about, but not all the inputs at the same time. I got the mixer for 80 and the interface for around 150 dollars. Just another option to think about if your not planning on recording everything at the same time. in terms of the monitors, i have some hs50s with a sub, and I think the hs80s would be okay depending on the size of the room.

I have a m-audio audiophile connected to a mackie 402. I have 2 mic/line inputs +1 line. It could handle what your talking about, but not all the inputs at the same time. I got the mixer for 80 and the interface for around 150 dollars. Just another option to think about if your not planning on recording everything at the same time. in terms of the monitors, i have some hs50s with a sub, and I think the hs80s would be okay depending on the size of the room.
Thanks for input man, will definitely read about that interface. My room is pretty big, biggest in whole house - around 35-40 square meters. Is it a good thing or rather bad? It's kinda big and not a rectangle or square shape.

Thanks for input man, will definitely read about that interface. My room is pretty big, biggest in whole house - around 35-40 square meters. Is it a good thing or rather bad? It's kinda big and not a rectangle or square shape.
i think the big room is fine, especially if there isn't any dividers or stuff like that. The hs8s should be fine, but u might want to add a sub down the line. Also, u might want to think about saving some money for room treatment.

Tomorrow I will take a look at KRK and Yamahas

Other question guys! With new Maschine 1.8 update, I just got from what I heard one of the best virtual synths on the market, which is Massive.. And I looked through some preset sounds, and I gotta say they are pretty good. So the question is.. maintain idea with hardware synth (which I really would love to have, just to learn it and create uniqe sounds, plus I think Im a hardware guy, I prefer to touch things outside of my laptop, and only mix and arrange it inside of DAW) or dumb the idea, and just learn and use maschine with my Axiom 61 Midi Controller? What You think? I know Massive is pretty big and popular, artists like Skrillex use it, that means something.. but is it better than MicroKorg, Ultranova, Korg R3?

IMO man you dont need to go out and spend mad amounts of money! people buy the shitest windows laptop make bangers!!! its all about the person behind the mpc/maschine/mac/daw whatever you use. unless your starting to professionally master and mix someones stuff why waste all that money?

peace!

Sure thing man, I just plan to buy Mac cause it's made to make music, I wanna have the best option available - the rest of the stuff I consider buying used - midi controller etc. But Mac is neccesary for me, not just for music making, but in general - I need a new laptop, for school, living, and music making of course.

Back