fat sound - like daft punk , roule ....

Fair enough...I completely agree.

I guess in general what I was trying to get at is to not get hung up trying to mimic another artists sounds and use what you have, gear-wise and knowledge-wise to come up with your own thing.

But what you are saying makes perfect sense - no, you can't make apples out of oranges, but I guess what I'm trying to say is make bananas and ignore everyone else's apples and oranges altogether.

:)

I kind of feel like I'm jumping into the middle of a different conversation, but in regards to getting a nice fat sound out of funk and disco samples, which is what I've been jonesing on lately, and which is a part of Daft Punk's sound, which is what I believe the original poster was referring to:
I've gotten good results using this fx chain, so try starting with it and tweaking from there:

1: Ran it through a parametric EQ to get the sound pumping. I boosted 184hz by about 8dB, 2150hz by 12dB, cut 432hz by -6dB, and had a high shelf at 11000 boosted by 5dB

2: Compressed it by 20:1 at about -8dB, with fast attack and release

3: Ran it through a noise gate to filter out some of the quiet stuff and get more of a rhythmic thing going with the silence between the sample cuts (I cut up and rearrange the sample like a lot of producers like to do)

4: Then I run it through filters which change throughout the song, but I usually keep a little bit of a highpass filter on to cut just a little of the lowend off and give it some resonance near the bottom.

Try it and let me know if this helps any.

nice we're on the subject. Listening to Daft Punk made me finish off my old filtered track

record to MPC to computer to software.

used Timeworks filters and compressor alog with Sound Forge's compressor. transferred 3 year old MPC files sampled from records and a real 909 to computer and work on them in acid and soundforge.

the song

tonepoem said:

- no, you can't make apples out of oranges, but I guess what I'm trying to say is make bananas and ignore everyone else's apples and oranges altogether.

:)

hahaha. great statement. i think more people should go that route. So many people seem to be caught up in trying to get a certain sound because they heard it somewhere and it was hot. That can be very usefull, especially for learning. But some people just seem so cought up in it that they never go beyond it. I often follow the rule that if it sounds like something i've heard befor than i'm doing something wrong. Or at leaste i damn well better twist it ( a lot) my way.

With the abundace of production out there, only the prime, unique flavors will stand out and be recognized and remembered. Go do yer own thing!

cc

Daft Punk is by far one of my favorite bands. I am very thankful that everyone on these forums throughout work to help each other in understanding different techniques that are used. After reading most of the posts in this particular subject I have come to discover several things that appear to be a fact concerning Daft Punk and again I know this is very general. First of all the idea of getting a particular "fat drum sound" through the current software that is available is really somewhat of a myth. I can tell you from experience from Reaktor to Reason to Storm to what ever I have encountered the true fact of the matter currently is hardware is king. You put any of these brands of software up against a 909 or a 808 with an actual performance sound system, in my opinion their is no hope in emmulating the "analogue sound". In order to get more information about how Daft Punk records I would reccommend going to the Remix magazine website and look for an article that was written in 2001 where they cover alot of the equipment they use. Also another fact to back up what was just stated is on the DVD released called D.A.F.T.. On side B of that DVD they have a live show recorded in L.A. in 97 that has 9 different camera angles. When or if anyone has or gets this DVD turn your gamma lighting all the way up on the DVD player and select camera angle 5 and during the time the strobe lights hits both guys activate the DVD player in slow motion. You will be amazed at how you can identify the equipment they use on that live set. The only other alternative that even at this time that may have a fighting chance to emulate the true analogue drum sound may be the programing language csounds. I would reccomend anyone reading these forums that want to use strictly software to learn and discover this. Check out csounds.com. Other than that I would reccomend saving your money and buying the real deal.

Back