Expensive Machines vs. Individual Talent

Bluedays said:
which brings to the question, if you have the space and the money, would you ever think enough is enough? (tough one, hehe)

Haha, that's a good question, for a little while, I had a lot of hardware, but I would get the piece and find a nich in it that I liked, and only come back to it for that purpose, or I would get too sidetracked with having too many options to work with, so I sold all of it except for two or three essential pieces I felt I used the most. With that money I went and copedmyself a couple of really nice keyboards as well as erased alot of crap that was taking up space on my hard drive. But now I find myself wishing I had a few of those pieces of gear back. I don't know about anybody else, but really if money wasn't an issue, i'd be one hell of a gearwhore, there's nothing like getting a new piece of kit and throwing it in a mix that really needed something new, or to be able to make sounds you couldn't make before. I try not to think about this too much, I try not to read magazines too much either or I'll get ulcers just wishing my time away. arg.

I’m not a producer. My synths and modules are just toys to be used for wasting time. But funny wasting, that is! I have no talent. I only make sounds and weird music, and it’s quite fun! :)

After I read thealien’s post in this thread, I'm now about to build a studio with completely flat monitoring resonance.

Yeah, I'm not much of a producer either, I usually just have somebody else mix and master my stuff unless it's for demo or live use. I'm just a descent musician and ok at programming sh*t... making wierd noise is where most of the fun is at, and it's great that there are now genres of music for this sort of thing as well.

Back