Ever Think: 'I Need To Further My Music Career'?

M.C.-Exclusivo

Break yo'self fool!
Wasn't even sure what to call this thread... But I thought it was a pretty interesting topic wherever you maybe from. I'm going to bore you with a little story first though.

Last week, I was in New York(on holiday)... Loved the place, everyone was on point, girl's were straight up stunner's, no one tried playing games with me (includes girls... Not even the taxi drivers). PLUS fashion week was on, so chatting to a few models was a bit of fun. Anyway, I spent like a week there, in that week I bumped into so many people who I'm now planning on collaborating with. Went to a record shop down in Greenwich, browsed the records, bumped into someone there, exchanged contacts. Went shopping Macy's, bumped into three people, a guy who has a dance group, and a girl who's a singer, and a rapper(who seemed to have an aggression problem, but he was cool). Again, exchanged contacts. There were also a few other people, a model/actress I met in Barns & Nobles on 5th Ave, who I shall never know the name of. A few generally nice dudes in a few Starbucks too. Anyway, back to my point. I was there a week, met three people I've already reconnected with and we're ALREADY in talks about collaborating in some way. I loved the city, and I'm desperately looking into moving out to NYC now(If only getting a visa was easy)! Which raises my question...

Where I'm from doesn't have a superb music scene, you get a few rock and jazz bands, but otherwise, there's no where for Hip Hop artists to build a buzz. Have you ever felt like you NEEDED to move away to a better location to try and further your music career?

When I have some free time, I'm going to head down to London (haven't been in a while!), check out the clubs and things, try and connect with people over like a long weekend or something, and see what happens. I definitely want to move to New York within the next like 5-10 years... Which poses another question... When I got home, I spent a few hours just scrolling through NYC agencies... And seemed to find a lot of foreigners on these agencies, who when I checked their twitters and things lived in NYC... I even found one who had been granted either a visa or green card a few days before... Does that mean if I was to join an agency, I could possibly look to move out to NYC and gain a visa on an 'extraordinary ability' basis? The model in question didn't to seem to have any special talents. She was on one agency worldwide, and I have never seen nor heard of her.

Interested to see what you guys have to say. I haven't really contributed here, or been on here for a while. Felt like it was time to start a discussion!

-Exclusivo.

Absolutely, I feel that way all the time. Where I'm from just doesn't have a big music scene to create a local buzz but I still manage to try. I've thought about moving to New York or Cali but I think I'm gonna start out by moving to Atlanta & go from there.

I feel the opposite actually.

I'm from Dallas and aside from maybe 1 or 2 artists there hasn't been any rappers getting critical acclaim from nationally read blogs or website much less radio or tv.

We've had a couple of dance hits but not much to write home about. There's no real distinctive sound or culture around hip hop here. And there is not a real entertainment industrial complex here

Despite all that I look at it as an opportunity. Because even the biggest players in my market are an arms reach away. Meanwhile Ny or AtL or LA industry leaders are far out of reach for someone starting out.

So I look at conquering my market as a first step because I figure if I can't stand out here I have no business being in music. Plus if you can stand out here your looking at one of the biggest radio markets in the nation and one of the biggest states in the nation. So it's an easy way to build a big fan base relatively quicker.

Obviously eventually I'd have to move around to collab but in the meantime I feel like conquering my market is a must before considering much bigger more insolated markets

Last edited:
So I look at conquering my market as a first step because I figure if I can't stand out here I have no business being in music. Plus if you can stand out here your looking at one of the biggest radio markets in the nation and one of the biggest states in the nation. So it's an easy way to build a big fan base relatively quicker.

Obviously eventually I'd have to move around to collab but in the meantime I feel like conquering my market is a must before considering much bigger more insolated markets

So how are you planning on conquering your local market? I'm presuming you're an emcee, rather than a producer?

im from frisco. i live in paris now and have lived in LA for alil bit. i have also lived in the suburbs where is there is lil to no hip hop scene. from these experiences i have learned its about LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. you need to WHERE it happens and i capitalize cuz shits real. you need to be able to be there at a moments notice for a lunch meeting,studio session, or event or whatever. you can romanticize with the idea youll be this cat from a small town that makes it big but youll be waiting along time. its like that with anything else. if i want to meet hella women im not gonna go to a place where theres no chicks you follow me. same with music you either need to live in the relative area or have a SOLID connection in those areas. the internet makes it easier to get your shit out there but people (especially) people that are gonna put money behind you) need to see the real thing thats you in the flesh at these shows, meet and greets and such any lazy **** can sit around and spam the shit out of everyone on their facebook and shit.. this is turning into an essay n shit but thats my 2 cents spend it wisely

side note:there is an advantage to living in a small town and thats PRACTICE. do shows do live shit get your crowd skills up and the keeep it moving a fish will only grow as big as the lake it lives in

Last edited:
Back