Equipment Suggestions (Preamp, Signal Processors, etc.)

binary_10essee

First off, what's up FP? I haven't been around in several months. But I've had priorities far greater than music to focus on. No problem. I'm back now. :) I hope everyone had a good New Year and a good holiday season.

Now, I will have $500 even coming tonight in order to upgrade some equipment. Here's what I currently have:

Computer - Win 7 x64, 6GB RAM, 2.3GHz dual core CPU, ~1.5TB HDD space

Software - Cubase 5, FL Studio 10, Reason 4

Microphone - AKG Perception 100

Mic. Pre. - M-Audio AudioBuddy

Monitors - Pair of 1st gen. KRK RP5's

Audio Interface - M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI

To me, this setup work very well for the lack of high-end equipment, so to speak. However, I'm looking to upgrade the recording aspect a little bit. The place I'm a bit stuck is, should I upgrade my preamp? Or should I first go for maybe an external compressor/limiter or EQ? Personally, I have no problem with compression, limiting, EQ'ing, etc. via software. But from what I've read, external equipment can sometimes yield higher quality results, simply because it cleans up the signal prior to it reaching the software. And I've read that hardware can sound better.

Or should I, perhaps, upgrade the preamp itself and stick to software processing, since that has always been satisfying to me?

I'm considering purchasing a reflection filter: sE Electronics Project Studio Reflexion Filter | Sweetwater.com in order to clean up the signal due to lack of acoustic treatment (and lack of ability due to the environment). My signal has always been very usable. People listen to my tracks and they are very surprised at the clarity and the quality, never guessing that it was done without any acoustic treatment whatsoever. But when I listen to the raw recording, I can hear the subtle reflections, reverb, echo, etc.

Any other ideas? I'd probably have roughly $200 for a new preamp or signal processor once I take care of some other things and possibly purchase the item linked above.

Thanks in advance!

Try hanging moving blankets around where you record instead of that. Save the money til you have a NEED like bass traps for real acoustic treatment in your room or ARC for treating the audio during mixing/mastering. Even for different FX, Sounds or a mic pre upgrade would be better. Seems like you have a decent set up as is though.

Thanks for the reply, Obi. I know what you mean. I'm glad I didn't get money happy and spend it on anything that I talked about. LoL. The more I thought about it, the more I began feel the way you just described it. That's prior to reading your post. I figured I have satisfactory setup as it is. No worries, I'll take care of treatment and such when the time is right. :)

Definitely, we've all been there. You don't want to move sideways, you want to upgrade. So slowly start replacing your gear with higher end gear. Nicer preamp, nicer microphone, nicer monitors, nicer acoustic listening place (with ARC or treatment) and so on. Don't move sideways.

Yeah unless you could spend the whole $500 on the new preamp.. i'd hold off. Good advice to focus on acoustics.

Honestly... if you have space to build an isolation booth that might be the enhancement you're looking for. I started to get much better performance out of that same mic when building my booth. It must be double-walled w/ 2-3"inches of space between walls, insultated, have right mixture of reflective and absorbtion materials inside, and airtight as u can get it minus small holes for cables (and make sure u can breath lol). Dramatically improved my sound quality.

Also... focus on mixing better and there you have your upgrade. You're sort of upgrading your environment but also upgrading your mind to achieve that next level, b/c that's what truly separates the good from the elite.

Back