EQ for Drums

Masd775

I need some tips/tricks/advice on mixing my drums, specifically snare and hat. Ik most people like to keep their drums mono but sometimes panning my closed hat a little to the left gives it a different type of feel, so what's the big deal with that. I'm more concerned on the EQ part of my drums. How do I get my hats to sound "crisp" and "little" like they were almost playing in the background if that makes sense? How do I get my snare to crack and pop almost like a whip noise. I've tried so many different EQs and I can't seem to get the sound I want.

For mixing, I tend to monitor in mono first - to make sure it sounds good and there are no phase problems. Just toggle on and off mono to keep checking as you.

In terms of making the hi hats "crisp", you could try turning the sustain and release down to zero, then just tweak the decay. Also, a transient plugin could help (but shouldn't need one).

Snare crack and pop....try some parallel compression; you get the fatness of the compressed signal, and just bring up the parallel dry signal to reintroduce some of the initial "pop".

Hope this helps! :)

Back