Entertainment Vs Nostagia

TzToppDogg

The state of entertainment. Music, film and other artforms seems be dryed out of ideas. It seems like they only care about money, and not about putting your heart and soul in your art. Everyone is in a rush, and out attentionspan is as a size of a dogs.

We all heard the phrase;" Times were way better back then", but was it really better, or is it nostalgia?

For those who are alot older, and more experienced, how was it from goin from the 70's to 80's? Did everyone find the 80's dryed up like now? What about the 90? What did they say about tv and music back then?

IS times really that bad now, or is it just the cycle of life?

Opinions please.

Today is better than yesterday to me. Only the people that are getting older are complaining. Life is much more awesome to me now. I got way more money and freedom to do stuff now.

Anybody complaining about entertainment these days is probably old, fat, and boring themselves. My relatives were complaining 20 years ago. Some of them can't complain now. They are dead. They drank too much, ate poorly, worked stressful and low-paying jobs, and basically just dropped out of life.

Stop complaining about entertainment and go do something. If you are over 30, do something positive with your life. The young kids don't care about the "Golden Era". Today is their golden era. Drop the remote, put down the mouse, turn off your phone and do something. You are pathetic.

Its always great and god awful. Going from the 90's to the '00's I started working overnight's and watching more films, Law and Order, Bio and CNBC documentaries because it seemed like they stopped making black show's. Then I rediscover shyt in syndication that was made in the '00's...Girlfriends, Everybody hates Chris(Pretty Much an updated Good Times), Game, One on One, Hughley's and even...don't tell noone:4theloveofgod:...HOUSE OF PAYNE...that's my shyt! None of it top's the 90's though...noone is FUC*KING with Martin...even my dad(born in 1946) can't deny that!

Progress doesn't mean improvement.

Humanity must stir on a clear course towards a clearly defined, ideal world.

Anything else is bullshit.

Its the same with kids show. Cow and Chicken, The Mask an such were really creative.

Now every kids show bit the Japanaese Manga style.

I disagree. Yeah there was shit that was better back in the day. But there is definitely things that are better now in music and entertainment. The access IMO is better and of course that's because of the internets.

The tech is better too, I can get things done much faster because of the tech. Long story short, I aint complaining.

We all heard the phrase;" Times were way better back then", but was it really better, or is it nostalgia?

Its both. And yes life is cyclical by nature, here is the forefather of Kendrick Lamar's "Swimming Pools":

Feel the vibe, feel the soul, feel the WORDS....

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

I disagree. Yeah there was shit that was better back in the day. But there is definitely things that are better now in music and entertainment. The access IMO is better and of course that's because of the internets.

The tech is better too, I can get things done much faster because of the tech. Long story short, I aint complaining.

ABSOLUTELY!! Back in the "old days" we could only dream that you can have access to any kind of music you want literally at the touch of a fingertip and that goes for any type of content and most importantly access to each other. If only in the 80's and 90's people of that generation we're able to chop it up on forums, twitter, etc...with people from the 60's and 70's. I think people take it for granted but nowadays the flow of information is unprecedented and its a shame most people waste their free time engaged in mostly nonsensical bs - maybe that was part of the purpose of opening up the access to begin with (another topic).

Of course with access and the means for EVERYONE to be a content creator there is a dire need for the proper creative filters to better serve the consumer, especially when it comes to urban music & culture. The old guard is either dead (ex-MTV), dying out (commercial FM radio) or completely sold out to corporate/special interest (most of your popular online site/blogs).

a bit of ole nostalgia. Whack shit gets forgotten usually. People remember the good parts of the 70's, 80's and 90's. for example if you were to tell an older person that violent crime in the U.S. has gone down over the last 25 years they won't believe you. It's the same with music. Our perception is different because of the access to information. Joe shmo who can't rap for shit can be heard by a hundred thousand people because of youtube and twitter. Back in the day there would be no way for him to get his sound out to people however whack it was. Same with the biting and originality. there were probably 10,000 niggas tryin to sound like they favorite rapper way back in the day, but once again no way for you to hear em. they swept under the rug. the quality isn't much different. access is.

I remember when they only played rap music at 11:30pm on Saturday nights and you had to record the show to hear any rap music until the next Saturday.

The DJ's used to rap, scratch, beatbox... they were almost like artists.

There were a very limited amount of artists though - Run DMC, Cool J, Fat Boys, Whodini, Dougie Fresh, Eric B and Rakim, Fresh Prince.... and that was it... oh yeah, Kurtis Blow was out back then...

... we used to love when somebody got a new refrigerator because we took the box and had endless fun perfecting break dance moves.

No artist really had flow except Rakim, everybody else just rhymed on beat and only the last two words of the sentences rhymed. The beats were really stripped down and didn't have much going on.

When YO MTV Raps started... we started to hear more rap music.

The only thing rappers could afford was a big gold chain... no Rolex's or fancy cars... nothing.

There was no gangster rap... all raps were about fun and getting girls. When ICE T came out... people tried to act hard and more people snuck violence into their songs. Cool J really started it with I'M BAD... he got dissed left and right but nobody could mess with him at the time.

Back