Ensonique ASR-10

Voidcomp

Well Lads and Lasses
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the asr-10 'cause I'm thinking of buying one second hand. Anyone who respoinds will be put on my Christmas card list:)

ASR 10

I've owned 2 ASR 10's in the past. They're a love hate relationship. The effects are really good for an onboard worstation, sampling is straight foward. Its pretty easy to use once you get around it. I used to know mine inside & out. But w/ the technology these days the ASR is a bit dated. If you can get one cheap under $1000 (US), then consider it. But make sure it has a SCSI port installed, because if it doesn't they are nearly impossible to find these days. And you don't want to be stuck w/ saving everything on floppies :eek: The ASR is a risk being Ensoniq stopped making them about 5 years ago. And since E-mu has merged w/ Ensoniq, they have pretty much done away w/ supporting there older samplers. But there are some great sites that still support the older Ensoniq samplers like http://www.chickensys.com . Overall the ASR is still a great machine & does alot of things even newer samplers don't do. But IMHO if your going to spend the money try to look into the E-mu EIV line of samplers. This was my replacement for the ASR & I'm very happy w/ it. If you need any help or have any questions just ask.

EZ
Rick

Cheers Rick.
Can you tell if the ASR is just a phrase sampler, or can it handle multisampled instruments the way conventional samplers do. Also can you tell me what the super wahnsin sound designer internal effects board is all about. Nice One
ikeaboy::confused:

Sorry I haven't been on this board in awhile. No the ASR is beyond just a phrase sampler. You can stack up to 8 multilayers if my memory serves me correctly. Its really a powerful machine. It is also the only machine I know of that you can get 3rd party effects like vocoder & resonance to load up. & the only machine that can do transwaves, search around on the internet, there is loads of information on it.

EZ
Rick`

I have never found a suitable replacement for my good old ASR-10. Sure, all the newer models are much more powerful, but there are some features (like transwave) that you just can't find. I have used the S6000, the A5000, and the Emu and they all have their shortcomings (especially AKAI!! piece of crap!!). The only reason I don't use my ASR much any more is lack of RAM (16MB max) and comparatively slow processing. If you can find one for under $1000, I would recommend buying it.

Back