Ensoniq ASR-10 vs. ASR-X

A

ajouffa

To all Hip-Hop producers,

I would like to know your opinion on the ASR-X and ASR-X Pro.

I just realize that they can be found for really cheap right now, and I want to buy a good, not very expensive, stand-alone hardware sequencer/sampler to produce beats at home.

I used to own an ASR-10, which I love for the way it sounds and its effects, but I hated the sequencer (I was using an MPC-60).

Does the ASR-X has the same sound quality (converters) than the ASR-10? What about the effects, are they also based on DP2/DP4 procesor?

I don't know any famous producer using the ASR-X. How come?
Is it a professional machine or a low cost "toy version" of the ASR-10 (like MPC-2000 compare to MPC-3000)?

Also, what are the differences, besides memory and color between the ASR-X and ASR-X Pro?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Man that was an ill combo right there a MPC 60 ,and a ASR 10 should of kept it man..

O so you use those 2 together now..Thats cool..Seems like more ppl have been coppin the ASRxs' lately..

DiaboliC,

So you have both?
Do they sound similar?
Why do you prefer the X ?

yea they both sound good and simular to me.

I Preffer the X because the 16 track and the the lcd screen is much better to look at then the ASR10 Led screen .

the table top power,also i love the fact the ASR-X Can be on for days and no even get warm, it stays room temp the whole time.

They are basicly the same machine anyone tells u diffrent are compleat idiots.

I like the Sequencer on the ASR-X better it reminds me of the E-mu Command Stations but better becuase it works like a mpc build 128 sequences and arrange them in song mode.

The Effects are the same **** basicly .

to me the ASR-X seq is more solid when it comes to timing but the ASR10 Seq is more solid when u change FX and ****

I got a ASR-X and a ASR10 and lets just say the ASR10 is for sale.

Allright thanks for the info man.
So you mean, you don't see any difference in the converters' quality?

Also, do you have the ASR-X (black) or the ASR-X Pro (red)?

Last edited:
i've had both as well & i prefer the asr-x. you can get pretty deep with the asr-x. the sampler section is beautiful. they are seriously one of the best values in terms of bang for buck.

DiaboliC said:
to me the ASR-X seq is more solid when it comes to timing but the ASR10 Seq is more solid when u change FX and ****

I believe thats probably the biggest reason the X had a bad rap on it's seq. Because alot of people were trying to gig with it, and it was not up to par with all that real time tweaking.
People using for studio purposes have a better opinion of its sequencer timing.

ajouffa said:
To all Hip-Hop producers,

I would like to know your opinion on the ASR-X and ASR-X Pro.

I just realize that they can be found for really cheap right now, and I want to buy a good, not very expensive, stand-alone hardware sequencer/sampler to produce beats at home.

I used to own an ASR-10, which I love for the way it sounds and its effects, but I hated the sequencer (I was using an MPC-60).

Does the ASR-X has the same sound quality (converters) than the ASR-10? What about the effects, are they also based on DP2/DP4 procesor?

I don't know any famous producer using the ASR-X. How come?
Is it a professional machine or a low cost "toy version" of the ASR-10 (like MPC-2000 compare to MPC-3000)?

Also, what are the differences, besides memory and color between the ASR-X and ASR-X Pro?

Thanks.

I'm a little offended by the comment that the "MPC2000" is a toy version.

i think you should hold the mpc-60, and get the asr-x pro, cause its worth it for sounds and effects, just sequence on the mpc.

the ASRX Pro is about 90 percent as the original; as well as having the same case, it has the same knobs, pads, floppy disk, display and audio and MIDI connections.

The main new features and improvements implemented in the ASRX Pro are:
Sample RAM expandable to 66Mb--The ASRX Pro is a RAM-based dedicated workstation, and is very adept at fast 'on-the-fly' resampling of songs and musical ideas (from samples, ROM sounds, effects, sequences and so on) ASR X only has a limit of only 34Mb of RAM

Built-in 'Stomper' synthesis program --which allows you to make your own 'vintage-synth-style' (sic) samples from scratch. Each sound can contain up to four oscillators (each using sine, square or saw waves) and/or low-pass filters.

Sample time-stretch/compression
SMIDI transfer support (MIDI via SCSI)
Selectable MIDI out (play external MIDI from internal sequencer)
Input quantise
SCSI support for IS0-9660 CD-ROMs containing AIFF and WAV files

Features Common To Both ASRX And ASRX Pro

Stereo Sampling/Resampling (44.1kHz sample rate).
MR Synthesiser (128 preset ROM voices, expandable).
16 track polyphonic MIDI sequencer.
128 sequences (ASRX: 40,000 notes, ASRX Pro: 70,000 notes).
32-note polyphony.
16-part multitimbrality.
14 velocity-sensitive pads.
18dB Resonant multi-mode filters.
ESP2 24-bit multi-effects. Two types: Insert and Global (40 algorithms).
20-bit A-D converters.
2-line, 20-digit backlit LCD.
2Mb on board RAM
DOS-compatible disk drive
Save/load AIFF and WAV audio files.
Save/load Standard MIDI files.
Stereo audio in (mic or line) and out (plus headphones).
MIDI in/out/thru.
Dual footswitch socket.
Load via SCSI: Akai S1000 and Roland S770 sample data

Also the ASRX PRO has a improved SCSI 2 interface (a 50-way, half pitch 'D' type socket) is now included as standard. The ASRX Pro can read Ensoniq ASR10 and EPS, Roland S770 and Akai S1000/1100 sample data over SCSI, but not program data or Akai S3000 data. Support is also included for reading standard IS0-9660 CD-ROMs containing Mac AIFF and PC WAV files. The SCSI interface also includes improved compatibility with most hard drives and removable media, including Zip and 3.5-inch optical.

you can make your own synths sounds it's like a command station.. if you have a command station this is the sampler you want to pair it up with..

Last edited:
yes but that info is easily available. what everyone wants to know is the difference between the ASR10 and the ASR-X (or PRO). so far one person has said in this thread that the sound is identical. many others have claimed that the engine in the X is NOT the same, so it would be good to hear some more opinion, especially from those that OWN and USE BOTH

Back