Emu E6400 Ultra, can it still compete ?

R

RoonSmits

Hiya,

I am about to get myself a rather expanded Emu E6400 Ultra sampler. With 128Mb RAM + dig. I/O + 10Gb HD + pc keyb + ADAT option.

Im running Logic Audio Platinum 5.51 on my 3Ghz PC with2Gb of RAM. I'm using a fairly expanded Creamware 12DSP rig: 2xADAT, 22xanalogue i/o, 3xSPDIF all the creamware samplers and some cw synths.

Now is my question do you think this sampler can still stand the competition of current mac/windows based samplers?
One of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a hardware sampler, is that I run out of "DSP steam" quite often, believe me: DSPs are addictive!

I've always fancied the Emu sampler range eversince the early 90s.
I'm not starting a hardware vs Software thread, I'm just looking for other peoples thoughts on this which could help me make up my mind on buying this sampler or not.

Cheers
Ronald

Yes it can

I actually JUST got a hardware rack sampler again this year, the E5000 Ultra.

Even with Cubase SX and KONTAKT running on the screen.

I really enjoy the Emu sampler a lot. Instant latency, no stability issue, boots up within seconds, etc. Great sound and filters.

Nothing wrong with those... Especially at the price they run for these days on ebay!

You will need an external SCSI CD-ROM drive though, to load sound libraries from CDs.

Hey I just saw that you are a Creamware user as well, cool :)

I run a Pulsar 2 card (SCOPE Project now) and loved it since I've had it... 4 years already! The effects are excellent (VINCO, MASTERVERB PRO, etc) and some of the synths are the best sounding "on screen" I've played (Minimax, Pro One, Vectron, etc)

Yeah, the cw stuff rocks big time, but I think I want to sell 'm and get me a RME 9652 and three Behringer ADA8000 converters.

The routing options are endless, there isn't a limitation I've come across yet. The synths and FX are awesome. But the CW stuff sure can play up every now and then too.

I got my first creamware card (PS) about 4 years ago, then I added the 8x8 breakout box, then a Luna + breakout box, then a Pulsar II, DSPs are delicious !!!! I also use the STS5000 in Logic, but now I am thinking of getting a hw sampler to make my setup more complete.

cheers
Ronald

Cool that sounds good to me, good luck with everything and enjoy your EMU sampler :)

The EMU Ultra samplers are way under rated. The sound quality is amazing. Run string samples through it and you will be amazed. The only negative is that it's external hardware to your computer, so it might slow down your workflow, but the sounds is great.

Yes I really love the sound. I guess it is the quality of the sampling engine and converters, etc

Regarding workflow and getting slowed down, interestingly I have found out that I am more productive using less than 5 pieces of "fixed" hardware units than if I use all the software at my disposal (and I have a lot of great software).

That's just a personal observation however, I can see how many people feel a lot more productive with a 100% software setup. I just realized that I am the other way around for some reason :)

This is why I do not use Cubase SX for sequencing or recording anymore. I switched to the MPC1000 for sequencing, phrase samling and arranging, and to an ALESIS HD24 standalone recorder for recording. Cubase SX is still there for "Editing" the tracks after the fact if needed (simple transfer)

I ususally find it awkward to go over to my E5000, load the sample bank. Then go back to the computer. It's so much easier when you Kontakt running in Sonar...all you have to do is open the file and all your VSTs will open with the proper settings. It's too easy. but then again you don't get that e-mu sound.

Maybe a dumb question,

"That Emu sound" is that because of the analogue I/O s ?

Since I intend to use the ADAT connection, to connect it to my Pulsar II and integrate that in Logic.

Well, I can only use the ADAT, if the guy mails me back, cause I haven't heard anything for two days.

Anyway, the topic sure is interesting

;-)

cheers
Ronald

RoonSmits:

beyond the analog I/O, the filters are very nice so you still get a "sound" so to speak

MAD T:

I know what you mean :) Though as I said this was just my personal observaton, and I understand why everyone else (basically) is selling their hardware and doing everything from the computer.

For some reason I feel more comfortable the other way around. I've had all software and all hardware setups over the years, so I can look back and compare :)

I do use the wonderful effects and synthesizers that run on my SCOPE Project / PULSAR 2 card's DSPs though!

Wow,

I got it ! An expanded E6400 Ultra with, 128Mb memory, 10Gb harddrive, D-WAM Daughter Board Upgrade Enabling Digital I/O, 8 In/16 Out ADAT Exp, 32MIDI channels and 9 EMU sample CDs.
And all of this for what you normally have to pay for just the DWAM expansion ! :p

The keyboard option is so handy, but then I started thinking further,
I also had a spare wireless Logitech keyboard and connected that to the sampler. But when you do that, make sure you plug the USB connector of the receiver in your pc since it needs 5v to operate.

It works like a charm, awesome, my sampler has a wireless keyboard !!!! :D

cheers
Ronald

My next gear will be the EMU Ultra.

Some guy is selling one around $550, I can wait to get it.

Can this machine burn your own ROMS? I want to create my own ROMS to operate them from my command stations.

balma said:
My next gear will be the EMU Ultra.

Some guy is selling one around $550, I can wait to get it.

Can this machine burn your own ROMS? I want to create my own ROMS to operate them from my command stations.

Hi Balma,

Yes you can save your samples to a flash-ram and move that to other Emu machines, but they're are as common as hen's teeth and bl00dy expensive too, I believe they come in 16 and 32Mb.

550,- that's what I paid for mine too, not a bad deal. I know soft is becoming the standard, but I made up my mind and will buy hardware when budget allows it.

cheers
Ron

I know this thread is super old, but I'd like to say that I'm not aware of any hardware sampler that is capable of doing what the emu e4 ultra does. It can cut any part of a sample, and paste it, or mix it in with another sample, that feature alone is just nuts. The only competition is kurzweil. I got one synced to my mv, and honestly I don't see myself out growing that setup anytime soon. If you could find one, score one.

Well 6 years later and I still around here.

I still waiting to get one, if someday, somebody is so brave to prouduce a bunch of flash roms for e-mu users. But we still waiting.

I have three command stations waiting to someday, play a ROM of my own production

i use my EMU ULTRA module for live performances. i think it sounds better than any of the so called up-to-date keyboards on the market today !! Have it running thru a LEXICON FX module.

I got an e4 keyboard,the e-mus are nice!So easy to sample,builds the presets for you & man the modulation routings are nuts!Love that hardware.

The E4 is great. I've just ordered a computer minikeyboard for mine, which I'm waiting on. I've had my machine sitting mostly unused for a couple of years now. Now, I'm going to finally put it to some good use now that I don't have to worry about wearing out the buttons on the front panel anymore. The sound that comes out of the E-MU Ultras is astonishing!!!!! TR-808 drum samples sound sick when running them through the E-MU, unlike the Akai's. On the E-MU, the low-end is so strong and deep. In fact, everything on the E-MU sounds very warm and soft wareas the Akai MPC sounds very punchy but mid-rangy.

Back