Elektron Machinedrum

sweatynutz said:
Can't wait to get one. It's only the illest drum machine ever conceived by human kind. Anybody have/want/know of/used/like/interested?

Never owned one but tried one. It is so bizarre that I understand why some label it as useless. It is a 1/4 va-synthesizer with not so good sounding samples on it. Much too expensive but its rather interesting toy for synth engineers. I know 15 serious artists in electronic music and none have ever used one or wanna use one. I think it most popular among curious newbies and sound engineers who like to play with anything that can make sounds out turning buttons around.

Hey Krushing,

Don't mind cubbyhouse. He rips on all the gear that ALL others praise. He apparently just likes to start arguments. Cubbhouse even admitted that he never played with the parameter locking feature because he was soooo unimpressed with the presets.....DUH?

He is also an analog snob who doesn't realize that taking the best of both worlds is the most rewarding.

The MD sounds like a free VSTi?......this coming from the guy who said arturia's MinimoogV sounds like crap.

Go on and buy yourself a MD. If you get past the presets and into programming the unit, it will only be hours before you realize you would have paid twice as much for the unit.

TheAlien said:

I think it most popular among curious newbies and sound engineers who like to play with anything that can make sounds out turning buttons around.

Or people who like to do live performances.....

:rolleyes:

or people who like well-designed user interface, or people who like interesting new sounds, or people who like crunchy, hard-hitting drums...etc.

I'm a bit torn between the MD and the Monomachine though...

(not to mention I don't have money right now) :D

I have both the MD and the MnM. If I were you I would go with the MnM. Obviously the MD is MUCH better for drums, but the MnM will get you by. Both units are must haves. The only reason I recommend the MnM is because the version with keys is limited. When they're gone they're gone. That means the value will go up like the sid. The keys/joystick are a must on the MnM. It makes sequencing soooo intuitive. You just hold down a step button, then press a key and the note is assigned to that step. When playing back a sequence, LED's will light above each note that is playing for easy corrections/additions. You'll love it.

damn sens, now you made me want the monomachine, too :( you make a damn fine point about it being limited.............*checks credit card info*

sweatynutz said:
damn sens, now you made me want the monomachine, too :( you make a damn fine point about it being limited.............*checks credit card info*

Yea, that's what I told myself when I bought my sid and MnM. The value increase is pretty negligable though if the unit is too cool to ever sell!
But it sure give you a good excuse to buy one.

The MD and MnM compliment each other really well. I have all 3 elektron units and they're the only digital units I have that feel as alive (if not more) than analog. They really have a mind of their own.

is it weird working exclusively with monophonic sounds? I am so used to polyphonic synths...it seems like the mono might either be really constricting, or extremely liberating. Also, can it do really unique sounds, or does it cover common synth ground? What would you say are the MnM's strengths and weaknesses?????? Thanks.

The MnM is not monophonic. It's polyphonic if you put it in "POLY" mode. That means you can assign the "SuperWave" for all 6 tracks and play them all simultaniously, or have 6 totally different instruments layered in poly mode.

If you know you're way around the MD, the MnM will come easily. They are very similar in the way they are sequenced. The FM is outstanding and simple. The "SuperWave" can do great trancy JP-8000 kinda stuff. The vox can make some interesting robotic vocals. DigiPro is great for spacey, "earth getting invaded" types of sounds.

The main strength is the sequencer and parameter locking (just like the MD). Imagine a fast VA sequence where the sound rotates between Pulse, Saw, Noise, and Mix from step to step. Or a FM sequence that slides from one setting to another. The thing is limitless. Throw in 18 LFO's on top of that, then try to go to work, or hang out with your girlfriend.....not gonna happen.

x-base said:
Yes, the samples are 12 bit. Elektron wanted to copy the sound-charakter of the digital drummachines from the 80's. 12 bit has a special sound. It's the same with the samples of the 909, they are 8 bit. The samples in the xbase are also 8 bit. The bit-reduced- sound is a little bit trashy, i like that. Elektron gear is spezialized in that 80's lofi trashy digital sounds, You can here a lot of sid sounds and bit crushed sounds in new Techno, Minimal or Electro tracks these days.

Haha! Very funny! In this same thread some people say that MD is not an old-school 80s sounding machine! Still Elektron wanna hang on to the sound of the 80s.

And dude, analog machines haven’t bit-rates. 909 is analog!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right, they are 6-bit, not 8-bit like I said.

I havent't said, that the MD sounds old-school. I meant "sound-character" in a technical way.

Regardless of every opinion; people use what the h*** they want! I’ve seen people bragged the Novation Bass Station up in the sky, but others think it is true trash.

The only two things I want to do are to warn people when it comes to this price range and give my opinion about it. I really dislike the MD, but if YOU want to buy it, I will not (nor can I) stand in your way purchasing one. I just hope YOU get satisfied with it and don’t feel like you threw money away, like a lot of people really have felt, my self is one of them. I guess that regards other gear as well.

Good luck and enjoy what ever you like to enjoy! I didn’t mean to offend anyone.

I respectfully disagree with you, cubb...but if you are right after all, the resell value is very solid on these things :)

krushing said:

The 909's hihats and cymbal(s) are samples. 6-bit power baby!

**** ****! I confused it with TR-808. Sorry. Should have known that! *blush*

Back