eh...difference betweenbuffer offset and latency?

It would help if you mentioned where you see buffer offset.
But typically an offset is used for latency compensation.

For example I use a 10ms combined latency for recording artists so I have set an offset to compensate for it, therefore after each take my daw automatically pulls every recording back a smidge.
Some daws even have a midi offset

so the buffer offset means that depending on what you put you can adjust it to match your timing by automatically pushing notes back a certain length?Dam.

a buffer offset can also be used to provide a pre-delay on everything, i.e you start your on-board tracks later so that record time everything is in sync instead of being out by 10ms or more

my comp goes all the way down to 9ms no clipping pop noises 48khz samplerate with 5 omnispheres in the backround via midi out for 3 of them, but what if i just set the ms all the way up to 45 for the asio latency and just use the buffer offset and make the value negative 45ms?Would i still need a soundcard then?

is buffer offset a replacement for a soundcard?

Are we talking about the "buffer offset" setting in Asio4All? This can't be set to a negative value (afaik) and it will increase the latency - it's meant to give the buffers extra clearance when they can't cope with the current settings.

In other words, no, you can't magically make the latency go away like that.

Back