EDM Help (Please Read)

Chrissx3

Hello, :)

I started producing like 2 months ago but i'm little confused. I have FL Studio 12. First of all I don't know to play any instruments. Do you think I should learn piano or something first? And my second problem is that I can't make catchy melodies and drops. What can i do about it? By the way, I don't have any problems on making intros, outros, build ups etc.

Of course learning a instrument would be good, it would also help you with your second "problem". Especially the piano.
But, it's still possible to produce without any instrument knowledge, just go and start playing with the piano roll in FL Studio, if you create something that sounds good, it doesn't matter if you complete understand it or not, music is about transmitting a feeling and energy, if you can do that, you are making music.
Some music lessons would help you understand what you are playing and would also help you make your ideas come to life. You can find some lesson on the internet where you can learn the basics, and would be helpfull for you to watch a few videos on youtube about piano lesson for beginners.

i agree with big drost but i have a few additions.

learning an instrument develops you sense of what sounds 'good' and what doesn't. a guitarist writes in a different way than a keyboardist would. if you want to learn an instrument to make better songs the piano is a great choice. since daw's use a 'piano' roll so you can apply your new learned techniques and such immediately. if you go this way don't get a piano, get a decent midi keyboard and hook it up to fl keys or something less shit sounding.
while your'e learning an instrument keep producing, it just takes a long time to get good.

Another tip to supplement what has already been said would be to recreate the melody of songs or loops that you have access too. This would help to break down the various elements of a song that make it catchy. I'd begin by just starting with recreating a single aspect of a melody, such as the rhythm. From there, work on finding the notes being played (if the rhythm is correct you can literally slide up and down the piano roll until you finally find the correct notes).

In FL Studio this can work just by loading an audio file into the playlist, setting the tempo of your project to match the song or loop, create a pattern & align it with the audio clip in the playlist, and finally input midi data in the piano roll. I did this for recreating two songs for a class and it really helped in identifying and understanding the basics of the music I was working on.

Back