Editing a vocal sample to 'hold' a note

Jakers

Using looping I assume to 'hold' a note, rather than making the singer physically do it. It's used in countless edm tracks, you can hear it really well in Fatboy Slim's 'Praise You' -

(you can hear it at about 50 seconds)

How would I go about doing this with a vocal sample? I don't have much experience in working with vocal samples, and I'm finally getting the chance to work with a vocalist on one of my recent tracks.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much

this is old school sampling techniques

you set your sample up so that there are three sections
beginning/attack - this includes any of the initial identifying sounds that classify this as the sound it is
loop section - the middle section where the note reaches it steady state
release section - this is where the note dies away quickly or slowly

effective loop points are chosen so that you do have a zero crossing point where the loop cycles back - i.e. the loop ends at the 0 amplitude point on the way up or way down and the loop starts at 0 amplitude and continues in the direction the end was moving.

Non-zero crossings usually lead to clicks and pops in the sound, sort of like record jumping backwards across a groove without the same physical jump....

That makes sense, in fact I actually did some vocal sample editing a few years ago - you mentioning those 'clicks and pops' reminded me. I used to take songs I really liked and make my own extended cut by looping my favourite part in audacity, always trying to avoid those clicks and pops, to make it sound perfect.

Thanks so much, that helps a lot. :)

yo Bandcoach, i posted a similar thread about 2 weeks ago and no one got back to me hahah. do you know how to make a one shot bass sample become a sustained note. because when i put the sample in 16 levels on my mpc to play scales the higher pitched ones obviously dont last as long. id like to be able to hold them down as long as i want. idk if i explained it good but any help would be seriously appreciated.

Back