E-Digging?

iJackPot

*Now before I start this post is not intended to discuss illegal downloading or piracy*

I'm fascinated with vinyl digging culture and though i'm a beginner I was always interested in digging. As a producer who wants to get into sampling and making his own drum kits, I know the death of vinyl is on it's way to the graveyard or might be there already. I know the fast improvement of the internet there is now what is called E-Digging. Basically the same concept as physical digging.

My question is how can i go about E-Digging? I want to be able to find and sample my own drums but don't know where to start. I understand we can buy already made drum kits. That's not the point I wanna some day be the person selling my own drum kits.

I prefer we keep this a legal discussion, just some basic tips on E-Digg. Any websites, tutorials, videos, Forum Post etc. Will be helpful

So your basically saying that producers like johnny juliano and Jahlil beats when they make there drum kits they get the samples from pandora/youtube?

No, I answered the question you asked.
My question is how can i go about E-Digging? I want to be able to find and sample my own drums but don't know where to start. I understand we can buy already made drum kits. That's not the point I wanna some day be the person selling my own drum kits.
If you wanted the e-digging methods of the pros, that's what you should have specifically asked about.

well can you explain the e-digging methods of the pros???? I did say i wanted to be the person selling the drum kits one day which you would think would be synonymous with a pro?

Last edited:
I did say i wanted to be the person selling the drum kits one day which you would think would be synonymous with a pro?

-If u say so...

Its the same as digging for vynal...
-find a source
-dig
-listen

Your not asking the correct question....
You should be asking a general question
How do you dig...??

Watching 5 mins of vinyle docs n u could find the answer...
Theres a universal system... but its a secret...
- hidden all over the internet...

There's a lot of 'channels' on YouTube that are worth keeping an eye on... Guys who literally host every record they buy...

I stumble on to new channels regular just by searching for a specific track, going down the list til I see the album cover and then going to the up loaders page to see what else they have...

Still digging, still time consuming, still great fun... And I never have to leave my chair!

Other bonuses to e-digging include not paving to pay through the nose for coffee or getting caught in the rain!

YouTube is the best you can always spice up the audio quality with certain plugins when mixing. At least thats what I do.

You can always record your own drum work, and then process to give a vinyl feel. That's much better then worrying about copyright issues when going to resell.

I always find samples from youtube! Then when i find a dope sample i will google the record name. For example i found sample called Tom Scott - Shadows and it was awesome, so i went to google and found the record name that was Tom Scott - Blow Out then i googled Tom Scott - Blow Out Blog, and found a blog where the record was at high quality wav form and then downloaded it ! its that simple ! :)

Random info, but for clap might wanna put two handmade snares milliseconds apart and add 25% reverb manually in the sequencer or using tape echo :/

The guys you mentioned aren't getting their drums they're reselling in kits from vinyl.

Someone already said, for the most part, they're just taking already existing drums, layering, pitching, and using effects to make them sound like original stuff and reselling them. Nothing wrong with that when the finished sound isn't recognizable. Especially with a 1 hit drum.

If you actually want to make drums like those, get some drumsynth vsts. Most DAWs come with them. Drumaxx in FL and Kong in Reason come to mind.

Last edited:
If you want to get into buying vinyl online, discogs is obviously your place to go. I buy a lot of records from discogs (when im not in my local record store).

I dont know if that falls under the category "E-Diggin" tho.

Back