Drake - Days In The East!

Dennis1990

That new drake song "Days In The East" tempo/BPM is 47 (VERY SLOW!!!!!!)
But really doesn't sounds THAT slow because of the hats.

You think a drake song will ever reach 30 BPM???

That's not irregular at all for an RnB ballad. Just seems weird because he's kinda hip hop.

But, if it was Jamie Fox, Ne-Yo or Trey Songs we would think nothing of it.

No, it's more like an Rnb Ballad. Sung by a guy who can't sing well. Keep in mind when the same type song is done by Jhene Aiko or whoever, it instantly becomes an...RNB BALLAD. While sounding the same as it sounds when he does it beyond the voice. We tend to create all these new sub genres that all have foundational structure in a genre with no real advancements. There's more of a difference between Punk Rock and Grunge.

Last edited:
You think a drake song will ever reach 30 BPM???

60? 120? 240?

Nothing special.

The content is though.

Having a drum machine back in the 90s gave room for experimentation. Since it was limited, bringing the bpm down to get the desired feel for faster percussions was a normal practice. Or to perfect the idea in ones imagination you would slow the tempo real slow, then speed it back up til it felt right (for back then). BUT.......some people actually liked the feel of the percussion sounds when they sped the tempo back to a normal state, but they loved the idea of other sounds they messed with while the bpm was slowed. So it became simple mathematics, to make something do what it wasn't meant to do. The outcome is guys like Prince, Jam and Lewis, Teddy Riley, Timbaland, Dr.Dre, and others developing their own style from it. Innovation wins every time. It's like going into a temple looking for gold, and coming out without gold, but a mindset worth more than gold. Peace!

Want to add to this a story Jam and Lewis (one of them) said in an interview in a book. They were talking about the many mistakes with the equipment breaking down and being ragidy that brought hit after hit. They made a midi hook up mistake one time and the drums were playing the rhythm of a sounds played on the keyboard. They switch the drums around and BAM!!!! They ran with it. Timbaland may not have told you his story, but even back then I knew what had happen because it had happened to me, also.

Now take that happening and apply that to how developers think in todays time of perfection in the computer world. You have every glitch tool in the world...........that does nothing more than what you can do in your DAW without a vst or plug. They made it easy for you to jump past those errors by creating them......for some $$$. The same way delays and flange and chorus and other effects were experimentation and discovery. And we use them today thinking one outdoes the other.....but it all comes from the same concept from the discovery of "MISTAKES MADE" or being curious.

With that said, it's not about what's next as in sound, IMO, but how can we find error. Because error is correct in these days in time. Where should our curiosity be. How can we make things do what it's not meant to do to discover a new way of listening to music of any solid genre. Because that's why eras of music change. Even in Jazz music today, there are so many sub genres of it do to curiosity. You say Jazz music, you have to ask what type....swing, big band, smooth, acid, ect.

Last edited:
No, it's more like an Rnb Ballad. Sung by a guy who can't sing well. Keep in mind when the same type song is done by Jhene Aiko or whoever, it instantly becomes an...RNB BALLAD. While sounding the same as it sounds when he does it beyond the voice. We tend to create all these new sub genres that all have foundational structure in a genre with no real advancements. There's more of a difference between Punk Rock and Grunge.

Drake really can't sing...he's more of a melodic kind of singer where the things he says it in tune.
But I feel like J.cole or any other rapper can get on this by himself it'd be in a hiphop genre.

Drake wants to be Phil Collins. Smart.

You sample this............I will hurt you.

Last edited:
Im not feeling this, he's done so much better before.

Drake, go back to when you were up n commin´you were so much fire back then.

Jhene Aiko really can't sing...she's more of a melodic kind of singer where the things she says it in tune.
But I feel like J.cole or any other rapper can get on this by himself it'd be in a hiphop genre.
Fixed?

Replace "Drake" with "Jhene Aiko" in that same statement you made, and it still remains a reasonable opinion all the way down to J.Cole could jump on "the worst" beat(she actually raps on it, so it obviously can be done). Not sure why you're not getting what I'm saying. None of this is new.

Remember this?

Now...the mindf**k....

Last edited:
drake is the one rapper i will openly, unrelentingly hate on anytime, anyplace. captain save a hoe, ***** ass ***** mother ******.

i don't miss the 90s, hell i'm only 27 so didn't see much of them, but i wish rap still held men to the standard of being men and not overly emotional adolescent girls.

Last edited:
Back