Doing multiple conversions on drum samples with mpc and s900

dmajor100

About to get a s900 for 60 bucks and gonna use it to sample drums , but first gonna g et a mpc 2000xl and the drums in there and then resample them in the s900 and then back to the mpc. The only reason why im resampling into the s900 isto get that dirty sound but just not sure if converting the samples this many times will overall degrade the sound in a bad way. Sure sampler producers have done this and just wondering what results they got using the akai s900 with a mpc 2000xl. Im imagining drums that have gritty,warmth, punchyness that cant be emulated in software.

Well, you could just sample your drums into your s900 and control it with your 2000XL via midi so you don't need to go back and forth with the samples.

But then there wouldnt be any need to have a mpc and the s900 has not even 1mb of memory compared to a 32md in the mpc. Was thking that the mpcs converters could add more shape to the samples with the already soubd of the s900 sound.

I wouldn't bother personally. Just sample the sounds into the rack and control it with the mpc.

750kb should be enough if you only load the drum samples you are using in your track and sample everything else into your 2000XL. And you can always pitch stuff up and pitch it down in s900 to save some sample time.. And imho the converters in 2000xl are pretty transparent: you get what you put in. Of course comparing a sample straight from the s900 to the same sample after the 2000xl's converter's could be interesting.

Im sure its done but ive never heard a any mpc except a 2500 which i haf but didnt even know anything about sound, convertrs,warmth at the time so i was blind to that. But after being on a ssl,fatso compressor i want to do what i eed to do to get my drums that warmthy rawness that bang. But also want to do creative things to layer multiple sounds with filters for a proper blend and have some option of selection sounds. When doing original beats i usually,do drums first and need a not to big but decent selection. Im properly asking for too much but im sure ill be satisfed in the end. So its either mpc2000/2000+ s900 or just getting a mpc 6o and doing chops in logic or the option of in the 60 which will likely be more ear training which isnt bad.

P.s.,can u do the jog wheel when scrolling for drum hits and select the cut and then just assign to a pad or is it done by numberic which i hate.

re

both the 60 and the 900 are numerical. no big deal once you get use to it. Also it wil train you to use your ears. you dont use those samplers because they are easy to use you use them for their sound and sequencer(mp). Id just use the s900 and the mp both since neither has much sampling time. That's a pretty normal classic set up. Id take the 60 over the 2k and the s900, personally (you will want the OS update 3.10).

True about using ur ears but i preffer a jog wheel so when im turning the wheel im hitting a pad in every little milla second finding what sounds good to my ear. If it was numeric i would have to select begining of chop and end by numeric ans then preview the sample numeric, what a hassle. i think if i was to do a complete sampled beat i would do it on maschine and if i was doing drums on a moc 60 i would chop in logic and import them using that mpc editor.

p.s. Do ya know if that editor for the 60 works on mac or pc?

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Have any of yall tryed them both

You can edit samples by working out the numerical values using math or by stabbing away in the dark until you get the result you are after, the alternative is to use a wave editor and slow MIDI sample dumps, the old version of ReCycle could do this, you can also run old Atari sample editors in an emulator like STEem engine to transfer samples via MIDI dumps.

<O:p</O:pI have an old Atari ST and the advantage to having the actual computer is that I can quickly transfer shit by moving floppy disks from my S950 to the Atari and back avoiding slow MIDI sample dumps, I can also transfer files from the Atari to PC and back using floppy disks.

Last edited:
You can edit samples by working out the numerical values using math or by stabbing away in the dark until you get the result you are after, the alternative is to use a wave editor and slow MIDI sample dumps, the old version of ReCycle could do this, you can also run old Atari sample editors in an emulator like STEem engine to transfer samples via MIDI dumps.

<O:p</O:pI have an old Atari ST and the advantage to having the actual computer is that I can quickly transfer shit by moving floppy disks from my S950 to the Atari and back avoiding slow MIDI sample dumps, I can also transfer files from the Atari to PC and back using floppy disks.

Wow that sounds crazy useing a atari lol kinda old school but still kinda still nit understanding.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

I see most people just using triggering the s900 with a mpc and just using the S900 sound its self. But will resampling the s900 actuall change the the sound of the sample that the s900 gives it and just convert it back to a higher sample rate a bit rate?

re

True about using ur ears but i preffer a jog wheel so when im turning the wheel im hitting a pad in every little milla second finding what sounds good to my ear. If it was numeric i would have to select begining of chop and end by numeric ans then preview the sample numeric, what a hassle. i think if i was to do a complete sampled beat i would do it on maschine and if i was doing drums on a moc 60 i would chop in logic and import them using that mpc editor.

dont know anything about the editor I can do it just as fast in my mps. s900 does have a great jog wheel you dont really have to guess at numbers you just move it while you hit a note and dial in the chops. Its actually super easy and fast to use with a little practice. s900 is basically the same sampler as the 60 so I dont see any reason to resample into a 60. I would conserve memory and use both.

Not resample in a 60 but a 2000xl.

dont know anything about the editor I can do it just as fast in my mps. s900 does have a great jog wheel you dont really have to guess at numbers you just move it while you hit a note and dial in the chops. Its actually super easy and fast to use with a little practice. s900 is basically the same sampler as the 60 so I dont see any reason to resample into a 60. I would conserve memory and use both.

Wow that sounds crazy useing a atari lol kinda old school but still kinda still nit understanding.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

I see most people just using triggering the s900 with a mpc and just using the S900 sound its self. But will resampling the s900 actuall change the the sound of the sample that the s900 gives it and just convert it back to a higher sample rate a bit rate?

Imagine you take a photo of a grainy black and white picture from a newspaper and you use a high definition digital camera, it's not like the digital camera is going to improve the image because it can take high resolution color pictures, you still end up with a grainy black and white picture.

Same deal when recording or sampling the sound of the S900 into a DAW or an MPC 2000XL you're still going to get a lo-fi sound because while the DAW and MPC 2000XL offer higher resolution they can't add quality that was missing from the original S900 sound.

Imagine you take a photo of a grainy black and white picture from a newspaper and you use a high definition digital camera, it's not like the digital camera is going to improve the image because it can take high resolution color pictures, you still end up with a grainy black and white picture.

Same deal when recording or sampling the sound of the S900 into a DAW or an MPC 2000XL you're still going to get a lo-fi sound because while the DAW and MPC 2000XL offer higher resolution they can't add quality that was missing from the original S900 sound.

Okay yeah if i first sampled in the s900 i would have that old picture buy what if the sample was first done at a higher bit and sample rate the was resampled in the s900? Would i still be stuck with that high reso or will the 12 bit lower that?

Okay yeah if i first sampled in the s900 i would have that old picture buy what if the sample was first done at a higher bit and sample rate the was resampled in the s900? Would i still be stuck with that high reso or will the 12 bit lower that?

Anything you put into the S900 will get crunched down to 12 bits, it's like taking a photograph of a color picture with a camera that can only produce images in black and white, it discards what it can't reproduce.

Even if you try to transfer 16 bit data via floppy disk or a MIDI sample dump it will crunch it down into 12 bit (the S900 can do 16 bit with an upgrade but that is something you would have used back in the day to turn your S900 into a poor man's S1000 and that's not how you would use it today) when using a hardware sampler like an S900 you want to use the converters, so I see no problem with sampling into the input of the S900 then sampling the output of the S900 into an MPC.

Anything you put into the S900 will get crunched down to 12 bits, it's like taking a photograph of a color picture with a camera that can only produce images in black and white, it discards what it can't reproduce.

Even if you try to transfer 16 bit data via floppy disk or a MIDI sample dump it will crunch it down into 12 bit (the S900 can do 16 bit with an upgrade but that is something you would have used back in the day to turn your S900 into a poor man's S1000 and that's not how you would use it today) when using a hardware sampler like an S900 you want to use the converters, so I see no problem with sampling into the input of the S900 then sampling the output of the S900 into an MPC.

So your just saying the s900 can converter any sample rate to 12 bit period cause once u sample 12 bit and later sampling at a higher rate cant add the what was lost when doing the 12 conversion.

Okay understood but ya wouldnt know if the s900 or s950 does give drums a punchier and warm sound or is is just a simply lower quality of sound. If lower quality is the case then I might as well use izotope vinyl.

Last edited:
Okay understood but ya wouldnt know if the s900 or s950 does give drums a punchier and warm sound or is is just a simply lower quality of sound. If lower quality is the case then I might as well use izotope vinyl.

The S900 and S950 are usually described as lo-fi, crunchy and gritty but they can also add warmth, fatten up drums, add punch etc.

Back