DO YOU NEED TWO MONITORS? (speaker monitors)

I ask this question because I've been planning on buying some monitors. Anyhow, I see that most monitors aren't sold in pairs, but rather as one. So im wondering is it neccesary to have two seperate monitors? Im in a home studio as well. But im just wondering because, what about panning? Or does that not really matter when it comes to a monitor and mixing? Answers are much appreciated.

agreed. For recording and tracking, most signals will be mono so you don't need two monitors. But if you're going to do any mixing and panning then 2 is a MUST.

makes sense but is that the real reason or is there something else behind it. sorry for bein annoying

Last edited by a moderator:
They are sold individually because there is lots of reasons why you'd only need to get one at a time. For instance if you're setting up a surround system you may want to use the same monitor for all of your satelites. Or you may want to purchase a single monitor for checking your mixes in mono or to do panning (yes I said panning).

yup, hook it up to the left channel, listen to your left side. Unplug it, plug it into the right side, listen to your right side.

You could run a Y cable from left and right into one monitor and listen to each side by switching the outputs on the hardware or the software but I really don't know why you would want to.

Here's the thing, stereo is two mono signals. This stuff isn't complicated. SO, if you're doing mixing with maybe one item panned -10 left and something else +10 to the right just for a bit of spread, **** use one monitor if you want. You're pretty much just making a glorified mono signal anyway. But if you start using panned stereo delays where you echo between the two speakers or a flange or phase that "moves" across the speakers then you'll need two to hear that effect.

A good test would be listen to your music with one side of your headphones only, then switch. If you can't hear any difference from one side or the other, mix with one monitor. It won't make a difference.

Honestly, ADuB20 nailed it. That's the only reason they are sold as one item.

Game Productionz said:
So in other words, you can pan with one monitor?

Just when I think the bottom has been reached, someone blows a hole in the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
dansgold said:
Just when I think the bottom has been reached, someone blows a hole in the floor.

LOL! YEAH I know I thought about it after I posted it but didn't b other to change it, wanted to see what responsesd I'd get lol.:D

nah, you dont need 2 monitors. All the big dough is in AM radio anyway. :p

Dude save money by 2 monitors in the long run you will help yourself more. Heck I'm working in my finished basement with 2 2-way 8 inch Boston Acoustics Stereo Speakers that my mother bought like over 10 years ago. I've never veen happier with the results I'm now getting. Just get some good quality speakers hell surround speakers do work. Polk makes nice speakers just find a decent surround amp to drive them and you'll be fine. I mean I'm using an old bookshelf awia unit cause it's all I have and I love the sound. Leaves room for improvement but hell for now I'll still impress some people.

yea bro monitors are a MUST have if you're doing music that is.
Thats like a painter asking if he needs a pencil or a piece of paper, Uh duh.

It sounds clearer(depending on what you get)
You can hear any and every flaw (if you train your ear)
You'll fully hear and understand how things SHOULD sound when mixng/mastering.
Plus bro as i said, your ish will just sound good.

Wake up the neighbors and bang out your stuff. When your music is mixed you'll want to bump it over and over. Especially if its a new track, and listening to a nice sounding track/song through some good monitors is the ish bro.

I love the Even Precision 6 and 8's. and for a less costly pair i love the krk rp 8's.
But yea go to Guitar Center or something and check out some monitors.

I would even buy some and just keep them for a day to see how i like them and if they make head bang. And if not take them back and get your money. It's as simple as that pimp.

Last edited:
Bookshelf speakers would work fine. Just know where they lack and make up for it when you mix. Alot of surround speakers add's to the sound so it sounds better than it really is. It might sound good through one pair of speakers but if you play it on a diff system or in a car it might sound like garbage. Thats the point of reference monitors. They give a flat response so you hear whats exactly there (given you bought good monitors and have good room acoustics).

Back