Do you like/hate hearing yourself?

Just Clauz

This is mostly to experienced recording artists.

Did you start out not liking your own voice? I know people say that it takes time to getting used to, but I just don't know how to make it more characteristic. I'm fine with performing in front of an audience, but listening to my own recordings and sometimes I just cringe haha.

Anyone been in the same situation

Definitely when I first started recording it was weird, but then you start to form your style around it and find what you like with your voice.

Definitely been in the same situation. The "cringing" likely has to do with the fact that the vocal needs to have noise removed, be pitch corrected, eq'd, and then compressed like a mfer.

I'm not even talking about just singing either, raps are very often pitch corrected if not straight autotuned.

I could make you like the sound of your voice:). And so can you

At first I didn't but later on I found out it was because all I really ever listened to was Lil Wayne (Drought 3/Dedication 3 Lil Wayne) so I would try to mimic his voice & flow without really noticing. After a few years I just sound like myself and when I go back and listen to my old recordings I can tell that I was trying so hard to sound like Lil Wayne with the autotune and everything haha you just gotta find your goove

for over 35 years yes

- the problem is more to do with how we perceive our voice internally versus any external record of it

- we do not get the bone conduction and other body related cues to our ears that we have when performing so it always seems as if something is missing that is changing our voice beyond you would recognise as your voice

being able to give it life movement is always important, in addition you probably need to learn not to record when you are not feeling well - the changes in the resonant cavities caused by illness will alter the sound fo your voice as well, usually not for the better

I used to always hate hearing myself but as my own worst critic it's when I only hate hearing myself a little bit that I know I'm on point...

Generally, I hate hearing myself less around the 4th or 5th take... Anything after the 10th take and it's getting re-recorded another day...

This is mostly to experienced recording artists.

Did you start out not liking your own voice? I know people say that it takes time to getting used to, but I just don't know how to make it more characteristic. I'm fine with performing in front of an audience, but listening to my own recordings and sometimes I just cringe haha.

Anyone been in the same situation

When I started singing, I recorded my own voice to tape intensively for maybe half a year. It was incredibly valuable and I recommend this to anyone who is serious about becoming a singer. And it appears that after such a period of practicing, you are a singer for life.

At first you are a bit uncomfortable, because it does not feel so good to hear your own voice not sounding good. But when you learn the art of singing it slowly fades away more and more, the more skilled you become at it.

When I started, I took lessons, so I learned how to breathe and stuff like that. But it is like this, you need to sing for maybe half a year and gradually shape your vocal chords, before it sounds good. But when it does sound good it's an awesome feeling...!

For me it was just endless practice. Like put on some beats or a song that you like and listen to yourself with your headphones. Maybe even freestyle some vocals just to figure out what works well with your voice. Also it really helps to get to know your voice better - there are tons of tutorials on YouTube on practicing breathing techniques, head voice, chest voice, mix etc.

Back