Do you hate when an artist uses one producer for an entire album?

JMD_Music

Or do you want different producers who may bring different sounds? I know Alex da Kid is doing the entire Skylar Gray album.

I actually hate it when artists use different producers.

I always felt that better albums are produced when you put 1 artist and 1 producer in the room. There's 1 sound, 1 theme throughout the entire album.

Timberlake's FutureSex/LoveSounds is a perfect example of this.

In this age though that no longer works. Noone is listening to albums for one sound. You need different producers to pump out hit singles.

Depends. A Lex Luger produced Juicy J mixtape is only gonna go so far. But Common's "BE" strictly produced by Kanye West (and one J Dilla beat) is one a different level simply because it is just one artist one producer. Nas's Illmatic is a handful of producers that just worked almost too perfectly. It just all depends on the artist and what they are trying to do with their music, message, image, impact on history, the culture, etc...

I really just wanted to use one producer when I started my label, but I see that artists sometimes have 2-3 producers and 5 writers on just one song. I wanted an artist that could write all of their songs by themselves and possibly co-write with the producer.

Marvin Gaye had three suites: i want u, what's goin on, and here my dear (the most underrated of the 3) and they're all classics.
Dilla did this whole album:

And this:

both classic material.
The game has changed, so hardly no one does all the album themselves outside of indie.

An example of the excellence of one producer per album is Big K.R.I.T. I'm a huge supporter of this dude. His style is new yet so nostalgic of the classic southern hip hop. He produces everything and his skills are unarguably incredible. Def one of the hardest working guys in the game and is humble. Was lucky enough to meet him last year and he was the most relaxed, coolest "celebrities"/"artists" I've ever met.

An example of the excellence of one producer per album is Big K.R.I.T. I'm a huge supporter of this dude. His style is new yet so nostalgic of the classic southern hip hop. He produces everything and his skills are unarguably incredible. Def one of the hardest working guys in the game and is humble. Was lucky enough to meet him last year and he was the most relaxed, coolest "celebrities"/"artists" I've ever met.

People like that are the ones that labels love. Lowers their production costs when the artists produces and writes all their material themselves.

People like that are the ones that labels love. Lowers their production costs when the artists produces and writes all their material themselves.

This is true, but for us "futureproducers" it's a shame not too many people on here give this guy any mention or props. He is living you proof you can do everything yourself and make a more than comfortable living being a producer...he just so happens to rap.

This is true, but for us "futureproducers" it's a shame not too many people on here give this guy any mention or props. He is living you proof you can do everything yourself and make a more than comfortable living being a producer...he just so happens to rap.
Sample issues. There was a thread bout this a while back. In house cats are great, but Krit gonna have to change his flow up. Def got skills though.

Yeah he major debut didn't contain any samples except for maybe one track. I don't think K.R.I.T will remain a "Popular" artist and I don't think he wants it. His mixtapes will please his true die hard fans, and not have to worry about sample clearing. His debut's might not make his truest fans happy but he's signed to a label and has to try to make some more mainstream hit. I could see him coming out with a southern banger soon as a single to his next studio album.

I could care less about one producer or a bunch on an album as long as the album is built on a team effort. Deeper than producer and artist. People that bring that atmosphere for the album is important to. Sending some kind of idea magic in the air.

Bust in the MFer with some MPCs and shit!! Fuuck Detox......do this shit with an artist and get this shit poppin!! Same love...same atmosphere...same drive and motivation.

Man....fuuck production credits got dammit! One name for this project represents us all for this moment. But what we did is worth more than money. We can get money...make money....what's money? Something to make....that's all.

Last edited:
I don't think it's so much the amount of producers as it is the cohesiveness of the project. Back in te day you worked with cats you knew, there was a chemistry there. Nas and Large pro used to hang out, the Gang Starr Foundation were all friends, the artists used to be there when the producer made the beat. Nowadays you get sent a tracked out WAV file and nobody is bouncing ideas really, that chemistry doesn't develop. I like the fact Kev Brown still has a multitrack, it's better when everybody is there IMO only Madlib can get away with doing a bunch of 2 tracking lol

Killer Mike gave El-P no choice but to produce 100% of his new album(El-P was only supposed provide a couple beats)..I'm glad his trickery worked because R.A.P. Music is great...explores many styles of hip hop but still has a cohesive sound throughout

Depends. A Lex Luger produced Juicy J mixtape is only gonna go so far.

OMG I'm ripping my ears off at the thought of an entire album produced by Lex......horrible, I would feel like it's just one giant 50 minute song.

On the other hand, Drake's pretty much done this with 40 on his first 2 albums minus a song or 2 each. And he's bringing in dat cheddah.

Last edited:
Anything with Drakes name on it is gonna go plat and I thought I was the only one who thought all his songs sound the same, I feel less crazy now :D

Like dude said above about that Killer Mike album with EL-P. Shit's classic and everyone be sleeping on that hard. EL-P is the most talented producer in the game right now and has been for years now. Heavily slept on.

EDIT: And no I don't hate it. I actually love it.

Last edited:
go listen to wakas first album lol

You know what, I was actually about to, then I checked it our real quick on wikipedia for reviews. This is what I got, and I quote:

"The lyrics are simplistic and goonish. The music is effective but all sounds the same. If I was looking for an example of what hip-hop should be, it's not Waka Flocka Flame." ~ Patrick Taylor from RapReviews

Yeah I think I'll pass.

It all depends on if the producer has range. Cant believe nobody brought up Curren$y X Alchemist

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Covert Coupe

Back