Do I need MIDI ins and outs on an interface?

abztract

abztract
I'm using NI maschine, producing hip-hop and R&B tracks (or hoping to) and I'm about to buy an audio interface. I've been thinking I should get one with MIDI ins and outs but it occurred to me that I could just still connect my midi keyboard to maschine as I have been doing. Then connect my guitars and bass to the interface. Would I need MIDI ins and outs on my interface if I want to use the keyboards own sounds aswell as using it as a controller for maschine's sounds? Or is my thinking generally flawed in any way here? Any input appreciated. Also, what would be you guys recommendations for an audio usb interface? What are you guys using?

Last edited:
Generally flawed in the sense that MIDI is only control data and doesn't have much to do with, well, sound. In your case, you wouldn't necessarily need additional MIDI ports (as it doesn't really matter which route the MIDI goes to the DAW, but it never hurts to have some more in case you decide to get some hardware synths in the future. I'm currently using a dedicated MIDI interface (a MOTU Microlite) for my synthy needs (in addition to the audio interface which also has basic MIDI i/o...I don't think I'm even using those at the moment).

Generally flawed in the sense that MIDI is only control data and doesn't have much to do with, well, sound. In your case, you wouldn't necessarily need additional MIDI ports (as it doesn't really matter which route the MIDI goes to the DAW, but it never hurts to have some more in case you decide to get some hardware synths in the future. I'm currently using a dedicated MIDI interface (a MOTU Microlite) for my synthy needs (in addition to the audio interface which also has basic MIDI i/o...I don't think I'm even using those at the moment).

Thanks for replying. No, I know that MIDI doesn't have much to do with sound. What I meant was when the keys are connected to maschine I cant (I dont think) use the keyboards sounds to use in maschine, only the other way round - use the keys to reproduce maschines sounds. Am I wrong? I know what you mean though, I'm probably better off getting one with midid ins and outs anyway incase I need them in the future.

The maschine has MIDI in and out so you can tigger and recieve notes from any other midi device. You can trigger the maschines sounds from your keyboard and you can trigger the keyboards sounds(if it has a generator) from the maschine. You don't need an audio interface with midi capability to do this just inbetween the keyboard and the maschine.

Here is a diagram how to tigger notes on both devices from either device and hear both the sounds.
diagram.png

Unless you will be using a PCI audio/MIDI interface instead of a USB one there is not going to be much advantage over using that vs Maschine as a USB interface.

Back