DJ Mustard & The Return of the Hip Hop Super Producer

Boy this is an epic thread.
So much hating, because of mustard's perceived lack of complexity.

Newsflash the masses don't care. Some of y'all act as though the man has not put his time in.
Just because u spent 6 hours in front of piano or guitar it doesn't mean you have "it."
There are plenty of musicians in music programs who could not make a hit to save their life.

If mustard wants to learn the technical side of music has time and money (40 learned the keys after he got on and Mike Will talked about learning keys now).
The great Dr Dre has no "formal" music training and he is the greatest according to many people.

Time will tell whether he continues to develop his sound, but no one on here can predict that.

A little James Brown for u cats that know so much about music training:

When did you start making music professionally?

I’ve been playing piano since I was 5 years old and I’ve been into mathematics and physics my whole life. Hooking up the VCRs when I was 8 years old was my job around the house. I was a professional actor when I was young. I did a lot of American feature films when I was young. By the time I was 13 I was able to afford equipment and was self-taught. By the time I was 18…I grew up in a good neighborhood that bordered on a really bad one. I went to a school in Toronto called Trevis which is a local audio engineering school. I was there for about half a course when I realized that I was ahead of a lot of the stuff I was doing. The guy that created the curriculum there is a guy named Gadget. He’s a legendary Toronto hip-hop Godfather. He’s this tall Jamaica dude with dreds who ran the scene up here forever and I got him to mix four songs on Thank Me Later:”Light Up,”” Shut It Dwon,” “Miss Me” and “Unforgettable.”

:)

James Brown couldn't read music but he played multiple instruments... Piano, drums, bass. He was the drummer of the Famous Flames before becoming a front man. There are multiple "James Brown at the organ" albums...

I'm going to sum up, from my perspective, what this whole thread has been in a new example.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************
Should Iggy Azalea be classified as one of the Best Artists/Icons Ever in Music History?

Yes, because RIGHT NOW she has hits...she's put in her work...a hit is a hit regardless of how they got it. Regardless of Payola and Pay-for-Play. No one cares about complex lyrics, word-play or elaborate melodies - if they did, then simple music wouldn't make more money than the Vienna Symphony, Joe Bonamassa or James Brown...no one cares about them.

Iggy is comparable to 2Pac, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, the Beatles because when you hear an artist I hear that their voices sound the same in each song they ever made - it's repetitive. You can replace some instruments, make it a ballad or stadium rock, but in the end all of their songs sound the same. Iggy has her own voice, therefore, we need to respect her hustle and put her in the conversation with these other artists. Plus, she's young and time plays a part. So, Iggy has the potential off of what I've seen so far to surpass Lionel Richie, YoYo Ma and Metallica.

She is the first artist since the Beatles to have her first two singles go #1 - can Biggie say that? Can Madonna? No, therefore, she's in the discussion and anyone who disagrees is a hater. Who cares that she doesn't write her own lyrics? Who cares if she can't play an instrument? Diddy can't play an instrument and didn't write his own rhymes, but, he writes checks. So, get your swag up and be a better piano player than Mozart by using YouTube and some pirated VST's.
***********************************************************************************************************************************************

This is what the majority of this thread has looked like and, regardless of putting up source material of pioneers like Chuck D and Scarface explaining out of their own mouths WHY the music industry is rigged for certain people to succeed, I'm still seeing justifications (besides Deranged 4 Phukdup and a few other cats who clearly live in the real world and can grasp simple business and music concepts) without credible rebuttal source material - only opinions.

So, like him, I'm out and off to the beach.

And just to clarify when I say Super Producer I'm not referring to necessarily the level of talent but the commercial dominance where the labels can slap almost any artists on the producer's track and its almost guaranteed to be a hit record.

Keep in mind the term "Super Producer" is a Music INDUSTRY (business) term...

...and what does any of this have to do with Mustard being put in the sentence of "SuperProducer"?
Some may say his music wasn't complex and kinda repetitive.

:)

James Brown couldn't read music but he played multiple instruments... Piano, drums, bass. He was the drummer of the Famous Flames before becoming a front man. There are multiple "James Brown at the organ" albums...

Thanks for the clarification on 40. :cheers:But that wasn't my main point (yes I know James could play!)

Some of ya''' are one some real elitist sh_ when u talk about music.

It's about what sounds good to the people not the complexity involved in writing the music(although sometimes they overlap).
Like I said before there are plenty of well trained musicians who have no clue of what funk or soul music is all about.

^^^^got to be kidding me...........Fancy would've been a hit with just hand claps. I agree that a beat could've ruined it. Good thing it was kept "simple".

Simplicity is the key....................it's hard to write to all of that wanna be super producer shit that producers be on now a days. lol! And they wonder why DJ Mustard doing his thang. I knew he was next just from listening to Jeezy's mixtape. Like all of that other shit was dope but didn't matter after Mustard. lol!

Which brings up the importance of a beat. The reason rap music had sucked for a while and participants were using digital downloads as an excuse is because "they cared more about their BEAT than the product. How the hell somebody suppose to write to some of that shit back then? Thank goodness Mustard set things back into the artist hands. Producers were and still are losing it. lol! They don't want to get over the facts........which are nobody cares about beats. Producer's days are over......yall tried to outshine the most important thing on the GOT DAMN product. lol! Like you ready to walk on the MFing stage and except the award and shit. And that's the mind set right there. Producers didn't have no love for product, only love for self and others like them. And with that frame of mind...YALL ARE OUT OF HERE! So get over it. Those days are over when beats would carry these weeak trend following ass rappers. lol! If you can't make a song that have 60 year old women singing it (LIKE FANCY) then GTFOH...last thing the song needed was a producer saying...."you know what.......we need some snare rolls and filters and some bass wobbles...this is not a hit yet." As long as we can do away with "super producer minds" we are better off. Being stuck in the mind set of 5 -10 years ago is bad for your health yall. You were lied too...you lied to yourselves...you searched and illegally downloaded all of those drums you felt you needed..and the outcome was a period of excuses being made for why records didn't sell....because it was "the producers job" which was to make a hot beat....RIGHT? Make a hot beat.....

Majority of the time it's about "undoing" the thought process you had instead of enhancing what was there........

And on the inside you know I'm telling the truth that will set you FREE. But.....you're all like

You are stuck in a period where complaining became a part of the music business. Those days of that mind set is over. The "more informed" were lost themselves or rather saving face FOR NOT HAVING A FUUCKING ANSWER....when the world is looking to them for one. DJ Mustard is part of the era after all of that confusing. We see more of him now due to that industry "quick fix" process. They got other things to do besides tend to THE MUSIC BUSINESS you know. So hell......get Mustard on the beat and get back to me...iight. But it was Mike Will..........it was Lex......it was Shawty Redd. Shawty Redd wanted more than that shit......expanded outside of being the "Quick Fix". That quick fix producer shit will leave you trapped......TALKING BOUT LEARNING FROM MUSTARD.......During Lex's prime he was WARNING YOU. "I make other type beats but all they want is these hard ass beats".

Wiki say Mustard makes 20k a beat.............500 of them bad boys gets him 10 million dollars.............but we talking hits, right? What hits? The ghost town called the R&B/Rap world that Katy Perry can enter at anytime......Lady Gaga.........hell wasn't Harlem Shake running the R&B/ Rap billboard charts...might be wrong. lol!

Wake up!!! Get 20k a beat. That's the lesson..........music industry folks are not as smart as you think. They go with the flow and handle other business shit outside of music. Your job is be "PRESENT" with a nice resume. Mustard's resume looks good "not super producer good" but better than most.....has a name that makes those type of werido ass people of power laugh......THAT'S ENOUGH ALONE.

What goes on in their lame ass mind?
10358358_466630610149588_2140141577_a.jpg

People of power have weird minds. The way they think of the world is so..........weird...........I mean.......really weird. Those type of people like dominatrixes and shit........GET THE PICTURE? They pay a woman (or man) to make them feel like SHIT in private. Some may even have stuff shoved up their ass. Think like them and YOU GOT THEM BY THE BALLS! Put on that black leather outfit, and get your whips and whoop dat ass.....put on a wig, fake booty, Fake cleavage, tuck your nuts, and TELL THEM WHO'S THE MAN!!!

Last edited:
First of all, every producer and even artist has other music other than the brand that the market demands. If you think that's unique to Lex Luger of all people, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. You keep referencing Lex & Shawty Redd who were both after the peak super producer age, and didn't do anything aside from make beats really. If Lex Luger is your barometer, I don't know why I'm even having a conversation with you. Mustard having a label is already past Lex & Redd, what are you talking about? Mustard being signed to Roc Nation as an artist & doing DJ sets is already past Lex & Redd, what are you talking about? Those two want to do more than him? He's already doing more. Even Mike Will, the most you can say is that he's been able to executive produce for Miley, Future & Ciara. Mustard hasn't done a whole project outside of his circle, but Mike Will didn't do that in his first year, and when he started out ... Tupac Back was his only big song for a good while before he really hit his stride. So talking about what Mustard didn't do while he's in the middle of the beginning of his run is just silly.

And stop talking about what people say they get paid in magazine articles. Anybody who's been in the Forbes will tell you that those numbers aren't even accurate. Remember when Alchemist lied about getting paid like 200k for the beat on the Carter 3 while every other producer was suing for their money?

Your hits comment is even sillier because Lex Luger has never had a bigger hit than Mustard. Him & Shawty Redd were strictly street music mixtape sound, with the exception of Snoop's Sexual Eruption & the MMG joint that Lex with the Curtis Mayfield sample, This Way I think it was called.

If you make rap and hip-hop music, and you get the most plays on rap and hip-hop formats, that's quite an accomplishment. Getting up there on the pop charts or country like Nelly will at times, dance charts, etc. that's extra based on the crossover appeal the particular song has, but its not a requirement and it doesn't take away from those that stay in their lane and cater to their own target market. Meanwhile, as I've said before, Mustard's is still getting play on pop formats, and his sound has been #1 overall of every format, when it was applied with a larger machine (Iggy "Fancy" getting the headstart from radio, the Elvis factor, the singer on the hook, the playful universal Hollaback Girl/Hey Micky vibe, etc. but its still his sound). Pop music is usually composed of people who are stars cherry picking what works from the underground. I say that to say that people liked what Mustard was doing and tried to apply it to what they were doing. Some people like a Kanye will do what you're supposed to do & go grab Mustard, Mike Will, Chief Keef, etc. Beyonce will grab Future, ... other people will just bite ... there's historical context to that to, but i've got into that enough talking about Ferguson lately

The thread was about....
IS (as in at this very moment) dj mustard a super producer....
If your answer was yes... then u need to reevaluate some things....
-as in at this very moment

producer name and beat bigger than the artist a lot of time, running the charts, sought after by new artists & vets alike, broke YG, gave Tyga his only hit, has his own label, is a DJ, signed to Roc Nation, brought the bay area/west coast sound back to the forefront, Lil Jon said there would be no music for women to dance to if it wasn't for Mustard, Timbo has said that only him & Teddy Riley really changed up the tempo of music, and that's what people say about Mustard, who Timbo has co-signed ... i'd give him that title ... ya'll probably won't even give Young Chop his credited when he brought you drill music and has produced every new (drill) artist coming out of Chicago as well as French Montana, Kanye, etc.

The thread was about....
IS (as in at this very moment) dj mustard a super producer....
If your answer was yes... then u need to reevaluate some things....
-as in at this very moment
I know this thread has gone all over this place, but the OP legal put forward a operational or functional definition of super producer.
Most posters have ignored this definition and focused on super producer in the classic sense.
I think Mustard within this current environment when he's one of the main people major label call for a "hot track" he may be.
I might not look up to him as a musician, but u got to respect the man is putting numbers on the board right now.

I think Legal's definition is at the heart of much of the side debate. A lot people don't think mustard has the talent or musical background to be considered with the so called acknowledged greats. Some people say give him time, time will tell. A lot of people just don't agree on the definition, they're looking mustard in terms of "quality".
I think even with the change in environment of the industry, Mustard needs to do it for awhile (5 more yrs in my view) longer before I can associate him with such a loaded term as super producer.

First of all, every producer and even artist has other music other than the brand that the market demands. If you think that's unique to Lex Luger of all people, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. You keep referencing Lex & Shawty Redd who were both after the peak super producer age, and didn't do anything aside from make beats really. If Lex Luger is your barometer, I don't know why I'm even having a conversation with you. Mustard having a label is already past Lex & Redd, what are you talking about? Mustard being signed to Roc Nation as an artist & doing DJ sets is already past Lex & Redd, what are you talking about? Those two want to do more than him? He's already doing more. Even Mike Will, the most you can say is that he's been able to executive produce for Miley, Future & Ciara. Mustard hasn't done a whole project outside of his circle, but Mike Will didn't do that in his first year, and when he started out ... Tupac Back was his only big song for a good while before he really hit his stride. So talking about what Mustard didn't do while he's in the middle of the beginning of his run is just silly.

And stop talking about what people say they get paid in magazine articles. Anybody who's been in the Forbes will tell you that those numbers aren't even accurate. Remember when Alchemist lied about getting paid like 200k for the beat on the Carter 3 while every other producer was suing for their money?

Your hits comment is even sillier because Lex Luger has never had a bigger hit than Mustard. Him & Shawty Redd were strictly street music mixtape sound, with the exception of Snoop's Sexual Eruption & the MMG joint that Lex with the Curtis Mayfield sample, This Way I think it was called.

If you make rap and hip-hop music, and you get the most plays on rap and hip-hop formats, that's quite an accomplishment. Getting up there on the pop charts or country like Nelly will at times, dance charts, etc. that's extra based on the crossover appeal the particular song has, but its not a requirement and it doesn't take away from those that stay in their lane and cater to their own target market. Meanwhile, as I've said before, Mustard's is still getting play on pop formats, and his sound has been #1 overall of every format, when it was applied with a larger machine (Iggy "Fancy" getting the headstart from radio, the Elvis factor, the singer on the hook, the playful universal Hollaback Girl/Hey Micky vibe, etc. but its still his sound). Pop music is usually composed of people who are stars cherry picking what works from the underground. I say that to say that people liked what Mustard was doing and tried to apply it to what they were doing. Some people like a Kanye will do what you're supposed to do & go grab Mustard, Mike Will, Chief Keef, etc. Beyonce will grab Future, ... other people will just bite ... there's historical context to that to, but i've got into that enough talking about Ferguson lately

lol!!! Mustard having a label means absolutely nothing.....or....(NOT TO BE NEGATIVE) holds a responsibilty that could put him WELL BELOW most of us IF NOT HANDLED CORRECTLY.

Nuff said............you telling me things about Mustard that YOU can do right now also. The only difference is that he is "signed, has work. So all of that other shit means nothing in your convo if IT DON"T PRODUCED NO GOT DAMN numbers!!! Where are the numbers at?

Nuff said........for NOW!!!

I don't know if you have reading comprehension issues or if you're too stubborn to pay attention. He IS putting up numbers. That's the point. Nobody is dispute the numbers. People are arguing over his talent level. And the person that started the thread defined super producer as an industry created term related to business ... marketability & the amount of money they bring in

^^^^^smh.....one minute you want to pin point him as the owner of a label with ARTIST on it which means he is > than most from that aspect......but when we talk NUMBERS AS A LABEL....you run to the obvious....his production numbers.

You missing my point......

You can do the same thing.......trying to throw the fact he has a label in like that mean something......YG did good.....NOT GREAT. My point. Where is those super producer numbers? But then again if he was produciong Chris Brown's whole album..........THEN WHAT.....different situation huh?

See....now we get to hear shit like "wait and see" and all of that weatherman type shit........

Last edited:
And just to clarify when I say Super Producer I'm not referring to necessarily the level of talent but the commercial dominance where the labels can slap almost any artists on the producer's track and its almost guaranteed to be a hit record.[/QUOTE]

Oh..., cause i was gone say, DJ Mustard is not a Producer. Hes a beatmaker. He dosnt produce records, he makes beats for them.

^^^Exactly. People act like it's hard to "produce". Like it;s really that many qualifications for the job. And the more people act like it is, the less talented they actually seem to be. Get into another profession if you want to do something that actually takes work. Any idiot with a blunt in their mouth, a felony record, and a 3rd grade education can "produce". Can't say that about any other profession except MAYBE McDonalds. Even rappers at least need to kind of understand basic vocabulary.

^^^Exactly. People act like it's hard to "produce". Like it;s really that many qualifications for the job. And the more people act like it is, the less talented they actually seem to be. Get into another profession if you want to do something that actually takes work. Any idiot with a blunt in their mouth, a felony record, and a 3rd grade education can "produce". Can't say that about any other profession except MAYBE McDonalds. Even rappers at least need to kind of understand basic vocabulary.

Most people cannot accept that reality that something they enjoy doing such as music has become so easy with technology. If you have any other talent, most are better off in that field because of the oversaturation. Felons and those with no education or job trade have no other options so they're almost forced into rapping. It's not like Chief Keef or Young Chop or Riff Raff can upload a resume on Linkedin or search for a job online.

Last edited:
I don't know if you have reading comprehension issues or if you're too stubborn to pay attention. He IS putting up numbers. That's the point. Nobody is dispute the numbers. People are arguing over his talent level. And the person that started the thread defined super producer as an industry created term related to business ... marketability & the amount of money they bring in

I'm def disputing the numbers...

Back