Distorted growl?

kikut

I'm from harsh electro / industrial background, where processing growl with distortion is a common practice. I'm just curious if this also happens in metal. If this indeed does happen, could you send in some links to such tracks?

I'd be interested to get as aggressive vocal as possible in new tracks like this one: soundcloud dot com/orbicide (this is my music & production plus growls from a metal vocalist; the vocal is slightly distorted and fed through flanger)

So by growls are you going for a long exhale kind of thing, or do you want to do quick gutterals?

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Okay i just listened to the track you gave me and it sounds like you want more of a fry kind of vocals. Best bet is to not overly distort it and just go with a flanger, like you mentioned. I've heard that a metal band "The Black Dahila Murder" distorts there vocals. heres a link.

The Black Dahlia Murder - Climatic Degradation - YouTube

Mind you it may just be high quality layered vocal tracks.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

I'm also trying to blend my electronic music with my metal music, but I have not quite yet found my style. :)

I've checked the Black Dahlia Murder — the track you sent and a couple of others but to be honest there is such a turmoil in the mid-high freq range that I just can't hear if the vocal is distorted or not — either I'm no longer used to metal or it's just bad mix :D

An example of what I meant by distorted vocal (not sure if it's legit growl though) is here: youtube dot com/watch?v=DBJMl575sa4 (Hocico — Ruptura).

It does happen, look up Sybreed and The CNK (my post count is too low to link you to them sorry) As far as I know they don't implement this live

Back